PDA

View Full Version : Inventory Idea

Thing
11-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Sometimes while playing ADOM I am struck by how rediculous my inventory is. I can have hundreds of items including four or five sets of heavy armor in my pack and still walk around. This last part could ofcourse be solved by more realistic weights or some type of volume component. It doesn't solve the fact that I can pull an 80s sword out of my pack as quickly as it takes me to find and choose between one of my twenty different potions.

My solution is to have variable time for removing different items from your pack depending on the weight of the item and the number of items in the pack.

Example:

Time = (some constant)*(weight of item)/(total weight of all items)*(number of items) + (some other constant)

This would provide incentive for the player to think more about keeping a small inventory while allowing people who want to cripple themselves to carry all they want.

Dudley
11-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Sometimes while playing ADOM I am struck by how rediculous my inventory is. I can have hundreds of items including four or five sets of heavy armor in my pack and still walk around. This last part could ofcourse be solved by more realistic weights or some type of volume component. It doesn't solve the fact that I can pull an 80s sword out of my pack as quickly as it takes me to find and choose between one of my twenty different potions.

My solution is to have variable time for removing different items from your pack depending on the weight of the item and the number of items in the pack.

Example:

Time = (some constant)*(weight of item)/(total weight of all items)*(number of items) + (some other constant)

This would provide incentive for the player to think more about keeping a small inventory while allowing people who want to cripple themselves to carry all they want.
No. Inventory managment is DEFINITELY NOT a needed feature in ADOM. If you want to play a game based on it, see *bands. But adom, imo, has packratting as a definite feature

Silfir
11-20-2010, 02:15 PM
It doesn't solve the fact that I can pull an 80s sword out of my pack as quickly as it takes me to find and choose between one of my twenty different potions.

I'm confused. The sword should be much easier to get out than the potions, shouldn't it?

I think the effort that would be required to create a realistic weight management system that also remains managable and doesn't take the fun out of the game is way too much. You'd be tackling a huge ball of problems for essentially no gain.

JellySlayer
11-21-2010, 03:22 AM
If you really wanted to go this way, I would think an easier solution would simply be to have a more realistic carrying capacity for PCs. Or simply remove the somewhat imbalanced Strength of Atlas spell, and make the penalties for burden/strain/strained! more severe...

moomoo
11-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Maybe a system with a combat set and a huge backpack could be something in the border of fun and realistic.

A huge backpack for hamsters - which would burden you a lot - but droppable in single turn. And then a small combat set and inventory with few potions, wands and chosen weapons.

It would probably still be too tedious and boring compared to carrying everything around and having a stash.