PDA

View Full Version : Saving will be done how?

Joonas
11-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I have a hard time remembering what I was up to whenever I load a savefile in adom making that character boring to play with. because of this I usually end up playing really long sessions in fear of having to save, which to me means to never play that character again.

Possible solutions
- Let the player type several short notes when saving the game. These notes would then be shown when you load the game. When you save again, instead of deleting the old notes, you are able to type more notes, with clear boundaries between older save notes
- A replay of some kind. Would make savescumming quite the chore though
- Logbook, similar to message history but I dunno. Haven't really thought about this one yet. Simply going to the toilet makes me forget I even played adom, so having the message history stay intact between sessions wouldn't be helpful enough, although it would be something

Hoping that the creator has already solved this one.

fazisi
11-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Let the player type several short notes when saving the game. These notes would then be shown when you load the game. When you save again, instead of deleting the old notes, you are able to type more notes, with clear boundaries between older save notes
Keep a .txt file of notes. Still, some sort of in-game journal would be nice though. It might make some savefiles larger with the added text but I don't think many current users mind an added kilobyte or two.

A replay of some kind. Would make savescumming quite the chore though
Moult's public ssh adom server has some sort of backup function. Roguelikes naturally don't encourage resurrection of characters though. Amulet of life saving is the exception.

Logbook, similar to message history but I dunno. Haven't really thought about this one yet. Simply going to the toilet makes me forget I even played adom, so having the message history stay intact between sessions wouldn't be helpful enough, although it would be something
Some event logbook would be cool. Just add some event flags to certain actions (i.e. completeing quests, killing some uniques (i.e. Chaos Orb guardians, Keethrax, artifact guardians), or entering significant areas (i.e. Dwarven Halls, Temple levels).

ScooterSkittles
12-13-2010, 07:31 PM
I ran into that problem too. Going a few days without playing a character will really throw me off, but even 24 hours without playing my guy will make me possibly forget what I was doing or was about to do.

An in-game notebook would ROCK. In the meantime, I try to do one of two things to remind my future-self. Firstly, I sometimes save the game where the immediate objective(s) are obvious, like when I'm just entering some unique area or after I just finished a difficult "boss".

The second thing I do (and this is kinda interesting) is to wait until I encounter a bunch of small monsters (like a tension-room), and then before I save, I rename some of the enemies with hints and reminders for myself. Names like "forge in puppy cave", "get to Pyramid", "Keethrax", and "get uncursed". I find that amazingly handy and saves a lot of frustration.

fazisi
12-13-2010, 07:44 PM
This is kill these kobolds, the female kobold. She is hostile.

nathrakh
12-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Or then just open notepad.exe and write "forge in puppy cave lolz". Save file.

Amazing!!

ScooterSkittles
01-14-2011, 05:47 AM
Yeah, pretty much, Fazisi. lol

I used to play ADOM on an old laptop that ran windows 3.1 or DOS, so Alt-Tabbing into notepad was not an option. Did anyone ever play Deus Ex? You actually could make notes for yourself among the notes that it automatically saved for you as you received different goals and clues. It would be great if you could open up the Quests in ADOM and add some there, just for your own benefit.