PDA

View Full Version : Startup screen in Jade.

ZeroTheBird
03-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Is the startup screen only a early beta thing?
since it looks very beta like. if not will you improve the design later?

M_bowwarrior
03-07-2008, 10:43 AM
JADE is a ASCII (or extended ASCII) game, so why do you want to "'improve" the startup screen ?

we don't wand isometric-3D expensive animations, "just" a efficient game with plenty of stuff and details, as (or better as) ADOM.

but it's just my point of view...:D

dopefish7590
03-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Well said M_bowwarrior. :)

Ankherias
03-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I like the idea of a graphical startup screen. It gives the feeling of a modern rogue-like game.

I think the Jade logo is basically fine, but overall the screen is too big and the look of the buttons don't follow a coherent scheme.

I would also re-order the buttons, preferably vertically like in ADOM and the most frequently used ones first.

These are all minor details however. :)

ZeroTheBird
03-07-2008, 11:30 AM
It would be awesome if we could alternate between text or a graphic startup screen.
win for everybody :D

M_bowwarrior
03-07-2008, 01:26 PM
one thing could be interesting, but I think it's already the case, is to have a "video" (understand, a animated image) of the game, as a demo. A character who move, fight, evolve, die... If this sort of stuff doesn't add to the game several Mo and doesn't take time, it could be fun.

Remember: TB have said before in the blog that it is already that...
but an improvement could be to have an option for saving the game "video" from a moment to another and use it in introduction....

It could be fun to see our character just before a chaotic temple fighting eternium chaotic flesh golems and win (or die ;))

Moreover, this add on could generate small "video" files who could be shared between people to share techniques and tips for "extra crispy places"

This could be another thread maybe... if the "creator" like the idea.

electric_wizard
03-07-2008, 01:48 PM
I really don't know why people are so hung up on the start up screen! It has no impact whatsoever on the quality of the game.

ZeroTheBird
03-07-2008, 02:02 PM
I want a Text based startup screen. And those "videos"? useless.

RotateMe
03-07-2008, 03:17 PM
I want a Text based startup screen. And those "videos"? useless.

Why is a video option useless? Nearly every roguelike played over telnet is being recorded, and people have put a lot of effort in writing tools to give the opportunity to record/watch console based stuff. This means many people (including me) don't think it's useless at all. It adds VERY much to the game IMO to be able to view former mistakes or achievements.

M_bowwarrior
03-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Why is a video option useless? Nearly every roguelike played over telnet is being recorded, and people have put a lot of effort in writing tools to give the opportunity to record/watch console based stuff. This means many people (including me) don't think it's useless at all. It adds VERY much to the game IMO to be able to view former mistakes or achievements.

I think I've already see somewhere on a site smalls 'videos" of ADOM to explain how to become a level10 wizard easely from a level1 (kill holtemplotz with long range spells).

so it exist and it could be (maybe) include in JADE if it is easy.

But, it is just a suggestion. and of course, it is not the primary objective: having a Beta :)

Sradac
03-07-2008, 03:31 PM
I think it would be cool to put pictures up like those ascii artworks on the main adom.de page now, and have them change to a diff pic every few seconds. I remember years ago when I first saw those pieces of art I thought they were the coolest thing ever lots of creativity behind them

Anfeir
03-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Imho, the role of the starting screen is: a) a convenient way to choose your action (load, create etc), b) make feel a bit of atmosphere, ambience of the game. (really optional)

Yes, the game itself is much more important on the demo stage :)

Grey
03-07-2008, 05:05 PM
For the video on the title screen I'd love to see an arena (like the ADOM arena) with random monsters fighting. Would be great if monsters or items you hadn't encountered before appeared, and you'd be left excited to see them for yourself in game.

adom-admin
03-07-2008, 05:11 PM
JADE is a ASCII (or extended ASCII) game, so why do you want to "'improve" the startup screen ?

we don't wand isometric-3D expensive animations, "just" a efficient game with plenty of stuff and details, as (or better as) ADOM.

The startup screen already has a very simple animation... but I'm shocked about hiw bad my taste seems to be - I always liked the current JADE startup screen quite a bit :D Oh well... we'll see what happens once an alpha version is out. Right now I really focus on getting an initial version done... then the finetuning can begin ;)

yisk
03-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Gi! Then and I have very bad taste, as startup screen of JADE I liked too. Ж)

Baranor
03-07-2008, 06:16 PM
I really like the start-up screen. I think it's nice because it mirrors the design of the website. I would say that if anything it should be the last thing attached to the game. I play ADOM and will play JADE for the great game quality that TB puts into his projects.

Grey
03-07-2008, 06:23 PM
One thing I would suggest about the start-up screen is that the buttons be moved around a bit. To me their positions currently seem unintuitive. New character as the fifth option along? In my opinion the order should be: Postcard, New, Restore, Manual, FAQ, Quit. Also there should be highlighted keystrokes for each (m for manual, etc) so functionally the interface is no different than in ADOM. Ooh, and the background could be a little more varied - wouldn't be hard to create a less repetitive image.

Baranor
03-07-2008, 08:24 PM
That's funny that you mention that. I totally don't think about the start-up screen. I have been playing so long that my fingers automatically do what I want whether it be restarting a saved game or generating a new one.

theotherhiveking
03-07-2008, 11:57 PM
If someone tells me the size of the jade's screen, maybe i will be able to make a nice start-up.

Dougy
03-08-2008, 12:05 AM
This is unnecessary. What's there is fine. No worries.

Travis Prue
03-08-2008, 02:28 AM
This is unnecessary. What's there is fine. No worries.
I couldn't agree more =)

Calmatory
03-08-2008, 02:40 AM

By efficient do you mean hardware-wise? IIRC correctly, TB stated years ago that 128MB of RAM is minimum JADE must have. Well, that is mostly due to Java anyway, but considering that JADE will be in ASCII graphics, 128MB of RAM is just about the most inefficient I have ever seen so far. :p

Well, I blame Java. ;)

Nearsighted
03-08-2008, 04:32 AM
Oh, come on -- It's not just java; JADE's slated to be a massive program. Every entity is treated (statistically speaking) as a PC, everybody has their own agenda with an actual goal stack, the maps are multiple screens... have you seen the world map? I can't even begin to imagine what else Thomas is cooking up, and these things take RAM.... I'm not saying java's easy on memory, I'm just saying it's not the only hog present...

paan
03-08-2008, 12:18 PM
one thing could be interesting, but I think it's already the case, is to have a "video" (understand, a animated image) of the game, as a demo. A character who move, fight, evolve, die... If this sort of stuff doesn't add to the game several Mo and doesn't take time, it could be fun.

Remember: TB have said before in the blog that it is already that...
but an improvement could be to have an option for saving the game "video" from a moment to another and use it in introduction....

It could be fun to see our character just before a chaotic temple fighting eternium chaotic flesh golems and win (or die ;))

Moreover, this add on could generate small "video" files who could be shared between people to share techniques and tips for "extra crispy places"

This could be another thread maybe... if the "creator" like the idea.

I kindda like the idea.. i agree that the startup screen is not as vital as the gameplay elements but I don't consider it useless either..
Showing random replay/history file or borg playing the game is actually really cool..

spectre
03-09-2008, 05:28 PM
JADE videos are af far from "useless" as possible, especially given the sheer complexity and size of the game, as promised by TB.
If the randomized storyline proves to be true, i think it is not only a nice addition to toy around with, but an extremely useful feature on its own.

Think about it: you tell a story of your last daring adventure on the forums, why not back it up with a recording?
You post a YAVP, why not show a recording to prove you were not scumming stuff? (yeah, yeah, when there's a will... you could always hack it if desperate.)
Or even post a director's cut version of the epic death of your character.

As to the startup menu, I'd go for the classic ASCII look definitely.
A nice option would be to make this whole thing customizable, using, for example, a system similar to Winamp's skins.

ZeroTheBird
03-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Oh... i thought with "Videos" you meant something like FMV... my mistake!
Recordings of the game however is not useless as you guys pointed out.
I just wanted to have a ascii startup option since i am so used to it :(

sgeos
03-11-2008, 04:54 AM

You know, some people take the "ASCII art" thing to extreme levels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_3YM5CMZw

Admittedly, that uses the entire Japanese characterset, but I think the point is valid regardless.

-Brendan

M_bowwarrior
03-11-2008, 10:37 AM
You know, some people take the "ASCII art" thing to extreme levels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_3YM5CMZw

Admittedly, that uses the entire Japanese characterset, but I think the point is valid regardless.

-Brendan

I'm agree with you, of course, ascii art is an art !

look at that for example :

.+~ :xx++::
:`. - .!!X!~"?!`~!~!. :-:.
< .!!!H":.~ ::+!~~!!!~ `&#37;X.
' ~~!M!!>!!X?!!!!!!!!!!...!~.
<!:!MM!~:XM!!!!!!.:!..~ !. `<
<: ` :~ .:<~!!M!XXHM!!!X!XXHtMMHHHX! ~ ~
~~~~<' ~!!!:!!!!!XM!!M!!!XHMMMRMSXXX!!!!!!: <`
`< <::!!!!!X!X?M!!M!!XMMMMXXMMMM??!!!!!?!:~<
: '~~~<!!!XMMH!!XMXMXHHXXXXM!!!!MMMMSXXXX!!!!!!!~
: ::`~!!!MMMMXXXtMMMMMMMMMMMHX!!!!!!HMMMMMX!!!!!: ~
'~:~!!!!!MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMXXX!!!M??MMMM!!X!!i :
<~<!!!!!XMMMMMMMMMMMM8M8MMMMM8MMMMMXX!!!!!!!!X!?t?!:
~:~~!!!!?MMMMMM@M@RMRRR$@@MMRMRMMMMMMXSX!!!XMMMX<?X!
:XX <!!XHMMMM88MM88BR$M$$$$8@8RN88MMMMMMMMHXX?MMMMMX!!!
.:X! <XMSM8M@@$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$B8R$8MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMX! X
:!?! !?XMMMMM8$$$$8$$$$$$$$$$$$$$BBR$$MMM@MMMMMMMMMMMMM M!!X
~<!!~ <!!XMMMB$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$MMR$8MR$MMMMMMMMMMM MM!?!:
:~~~ !:X!XMM8$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$RR$$MMMMR8NMMMMMMMM MMMMM<!`-
~:<!:~`~':!:HMM8N$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$8MRMM8R$MRM MMMMMMMRMMMX!
!X!``~~ :~XM?SMM$B$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$BR$$MMM$@R$M$MMMMM M$MMMMX?L
X~. : `!!!MM#$RR$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$R$$$$$R$M$MMRRRM8MMMMMM M$$MMMM!?:
! ~ <~ !! !!~`` :!!MR$$$$$$$$$$RMM!?!??RR?#R8$M$MMMRM$RMMMM8MM$MMM !M!:>
: ' >!~ '!! ! .!XMM8$$$$$@$$$R888HMM!!XXHWX$8$RM$MR5$8MMMMR$$@MM M!!!< ~
! ' ! ~!! :!:XXHXMMMR$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$8$$$$8$$$MMR$M$$$MMMMMM $$$MMM!!!!
~<!!! !!! !!HMMMMMMMM$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$MMM$M$$MM8MMM R$$MMXX!!!!/:`
~!!! !!! !XMMMMMMMMMMR$$$$$$$$$$$$R$RRR$$$$$$$MMMM$RM$MM8MM $$$M8MMMX!!!!:
!~ ~ !!~ XMMM%!!!XMMX?M$$$$$$$$B$MMSXXXH?MR$$8MMMM$$@$8$M$B $$$$B$MMMX!!!!
~! !! 'XMM?~~!!!MMMX!M$$$$$$MRMMM?!%MMMH!R$MMMMMM$$$MM$8 $$$$$$MR@M!!!!!
<> !! !Mf x@#"~!t?M~!$$$$$RMMM?Xb@!~`??MS$M@MMM@RMRMMM$$$$$$RMMM MM!!!!
! '!~ <!!:!?M !@!M<XM$$R5M$8MMM$! -XXXMMRMBMMM$RMMM@$R$BR$MMMMX??!X!!
! '! !!X!!!?::xH!HM:MM$RM8M$RHMMMX...XMMMMM$RMMRRMMMMMM M8MMMMMMMMX!!X!
! ~ !!?:::!!!MXMR~!MMMRMM8MMMMMS!!M?XXMMMMM$$M$M$RMMMM 8$RMMMMMMMM%X!!
~ ~ !~~X!!XHMMM?~ XM$MMMMRMMMMMM@MMMMMMMMMM$8@MMMMMMMMRMMMMM?!MMM%HX !
!!!!XSMMXXMM .MMMMMMMM$$$BB8MMM@MMMMMMMR$RMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMXX!?H! XX
XHXMMMMMMMM!.XMMMMMMMMMR$$$8M$$$$$M@88MMMMMMMMMMMM MMM!XMMMXX!!!XM
~ <!MMMMMMMMRM:XMMMMMMMMMM8R$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$NMMMMMMMM? !MM!M8MXX!!/t!M
' ~HMMMMMMMMM~!MM8@8MMM!MM$$8$$$$$$$$$$$$$$8MMMMMMM! !XMMMM$8MR!MX!MM
'MMMMMMMMMM'MM$$$$$MMXMXM$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$RMMMMMMM! !MMM$$$$MMMMM<!M
'MMMMMMMMM!'MM$$$$$RMMMMMM$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$MMM!MMMX! !MM$$$$$M$$M$M!M
!MMMMMM$M! !MR$$$RMM8$8MXM8$$$$$$$$$$$$NMMM!MMM!!!?MRR$$RXM$$ MR!M
!M?XMM$$M.< !MMMMMMSUSRMXM$8R$$$$$$$$$$#$MM!MMM!X!t8$M$MMMHMRM MX$
,-, '!!!MM$RMSMX:.?!XMHRR$RM88$$$8M$$$$$R$$$$8MM!MMXMH !M$$RMMMMRNMMX!$
-'` '!!!MMMMMMMMMM8$RMM8MBMRRMR8RMMM$$$$8$8$$$MMXMMMMM !MR$MM!M?MMMMMM$
'XX!MMMMMMM@RMM$MM@$$BM$$$M8MMMMR$$$$@$$$$MM!MMMMX X$MRM!XH!!??XMMM
`!!!M?MHMMM$RMMMR@$$$$MR@MMMM8MMMM$$$$$$$WMM!MMMM! M$RMM!!.MM!%M?~!
!!!!!!MMMMBMM$$RRMMMR8MMMMMRMMMMM8$$$$$$$MM?MMMM!f #RM~ `~!!!~!
~!!HX!!~!?MM?MMM??MM?MMMMMMMMMRMMMM$$$$$MMM!MMMM!!
'!!!MX!:`~~`~~!~~!!!!XM!!!?!?MMMM8$$$$$MMMMXMMM!!
!!~M@MX.. <!!X!!!!XHMHX!!``!XMMMB$MM$$B$M!MMM!!
!!!?MRMM!:!XHMHMMMMMMMM! X!SMMX$$MM$$$RMXMMM~
!M!MMMM>!XMMMMMMMMXMM!!:!MM$MMMBRM$$$$8MMMM~
`?H!M$R>'MMMM?MMM!MM6!X!XM$$$MM$MM$$$$MX$f
`MXM$8X MMMMMMM!!MM!!!!XM$$$MM$MM$$$RX@"
~M?$MM !MMMMXM!!MM!!!XMMM$$$8$XM$$RM!`
!XMMM !MMMMXX!XM!!!HMMMM$$$$RH$$M!~
'M?MM `?MMXMM!XM!XMMMMM$$$$$RM$$#
`>MMk ~MMHM!XM!XMMM$$$$$$BRM$M"
~`?M. !M?MXM!X$$@M$$$$$$RMM#
`!M !!MM!X8$$$RM$$$$MM#`
!% `~~~X8$$$$8M$$RR#`
!!x:xH$$$$$$$R$R*`
~!?MMMMRRRM@M#`
`~???MMM?M"`
``~~

so everybody is agree, it's perfect :)
let's stay with ascii game, ascii videos, and ascii video startup screen ;)

Epythic
03-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Tower - a roguelike! (http://tower.sourceforge.net/).

I sent TB an email about that half a year ago, but he didnt respond.

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/4895/barbarianvp1.th.jpg (http://img354.imageshack.us/my.php?image=barbarianvp1.jpg)

Grey
03-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Wow! This game looks... incredibly cool. And cute too, in a weird sort of way. I started it up and it knew my name was Grey :/

Epythic
03-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Your username. Now I only need your IP, an open SSH port, a started SSH daemon and your password :)

Grey
03-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Heh, worrying how some of those are actually quite easy to attain...

Anyway, gave Tower a roll and wasn't too impressed by its gameplay. Very very limited. Would be great to see ADOM done with those graphics though.

Epythic
03-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Very very limited. Would be great to see ADOM done with those graphics though.

I would rather see JADE done with them...