PDA

View Full Version : First Ultra: Gnomish Monk UNE

Tourtiere
01-02-2011, 06:13 AM
I don't know how to post the file so I'll just give some facts.

"Mugger", the gnomish monk, transformed into an avatar of Balance. He scored 25333917 points and advanced to level 50. He survived for 0 years, 162 days, 17 hours, 24 minutes and 5 seconds (186060 turns.)

Mugger achieved his demi-godhood with a very limited amount of scumming. The least scummy game I've ever played. But also: the luckiest. Everything went Mugger's way. Just about every artifact imaginable showed up: 36 artifacts.

Here's the list:

- the si
- Moon Sickle, rat fodder
- RotMC, kept it on until the end. Read a scroll of monster aggravation on D:48 to get an errant cave lion up the stairs.
- golden gladius, to Bart
- 5 Orbs, which I ended up using a few times before talking to the White Unicorn.
- Big Punch, rat fodder
- scorched spear, found it in a hill orc greater vault next to Wyrmlance, never used it.
- rune-covered trident
- sword of Nonnak, rat fodder
- elemental gauntlets, kept them on until the end
- RotHK
- phial, got it late, no light source until later
- crown of science
- the ancient mummy wrapping, rat fodder, perhaps a weird choice but it's not a good piece for monks
- the ankh, kept it on until the end.
- boots of great speed
- Crown of Chaos
- Sceptre of Chaos, didn't grab it but killed Malakai for it.
- black torc, ratling fodder
- Medal of Chaos
- Shirt of the Saints, crowning gift, very nice, wore it always.
- bracers of war, really the game-making artifact, found them with the puppy. Lucky game!
- Needle
- Nature's Companion - never saw it, but there was a greater undead vault with 9 emperor liches that I gave up on.
- "Purifier", same thing.
- crown of leadership, found on D:50.
- "Ironfist", like Nature and Purifier, never saw it.
- Black Tome, uselessness gift.
- "Soaker", found in a minor vault.
- TotRR
- "Wyrmlance", found in a hill giant greater vault, was just the best. Took on a minor blue dragon vault with ease. Sharad-Waador's quest was a sleeper.

Some notes:

1. The most effective ways to get a wish are a) pool sip after you've got the ankh, luck and Fate Smiles; b) PoEX dip on Level 8 with ankh, luck and Fate Smiles. All other methods should just be forgotten about. Pool-sipping is quick and to the point, PoEX dip is easy as well. Everything else is time-consuming and of dubious efficacy. On this game, I dipped two rings on Level 8 wearing the ankh, two blessed rings of luck, with Fate Smiles and Lucky and scored myself an AoLS and 7LBs.

2. No Food Preservation made the quickling tree somewhat of a bust. I did find a quickling king tension room ~CoC: 35, which was super fun/scary. Took them down with Magic Missiles.

3. Bracers of War on PC: 5 really made the game. Getting shock immunity as my crowning gift made it even easier.

4. First greater vault (hill giants) providing "Wyrmlance" was amazing. The second greater vault (emperor liches) was disappointing, didn't make it inside.

5. Found a ring of weakness around Day 60-- three in game total. Decided to go for it. Went to the Barbarian Glade, Recovery = 5000, picked up enough gear until I was strained!, waited for a couple of weeks, Strength went from 25 to 45 and continued to go up until the end of the game.

Is this scummy? I don't think so. I've killed so many characters looking for that AoLS, I figured that I'd allow the imbalance of this element to work in my favour. And I paid for it in the end with the higher corruption rates. I was teetering on the brink for most of the endgame.

6. Was at L:38 and had run out of things to do. Needed to get to L:45. Went down and killed Malakai. Found a named great blue wyrm tension room on ID: 65; =Shock and Wyrmlance made it not a problem. Found a balor tension room on Malakai's floor (!). Killed them all carefully, dodgily. Killed Malakai, left the Sceptre, went upstairs at L:42.

7. My quickling adventure had spat me out at OneWeek, which sucked. I ended up waiting around for an entire month next to the Stone Circle. Keriax was easy with dragon-slaying ammo.

8. By this time, I was still L:43 and needed some extra levels. I went down and poked my head into the greater undead vault on CoC:41. My Monkish DV/PV levels (plus 100 Dodge, 100 Alertness, 100 Athletics) were such that I could take on any Lich King face-to-face with *very* rare stat drains, but I couldn't hack through to get to the emperors. Left when I hit L: 45.

9. I had about 14 corruptions at that point and a scarce few SoCR, ~4. So I did the White Unicorn quest and got cured.

10. Filk was generated in a rat tension room on ID:1. Got in close and used my wand of fireball.

11. Scintillating Caves were uneventful. Book-casting Teleport makes them an easy escape. Grabbed the Trident, the Sceptre and Medal and dove.

12. D:48: Read a scroll of monster aggravation to get a cave lion to attack me, follow me upstairs.

13. D:49: Monk's kicks are useful here, kicking diagonal can get you places. Alsophocus was my uselessness gift. Serves me right for not grabbing "Preserver" from the greater undead vault.

14. D:50: a L:50 monk is so powerful in melee. Incredibly high hit chances and fast enough to dance with anybody. I didn't even need to dance with the balors, just hit them six or seven times with my bare fists.

15. Was only around 8 corruptions, so I dipped all my potions for a massive stat boost. Still under-corrupted, so I killed everybody on the level. Still under-corrupted, so I dipped a stack of brass rings into some PoEX and got 7 RoDS. Didn't know what to wish for, really-- should've known better in retrospect-- so I wished for SoCR and 6x speed. Wishing for speed while not yet "extremely corrupted" was a bad move; I saw my speed go up into the 2xxx's but by the time I was ready to enter it had dipped back down to around 290.

16. The corruption rate on the Chaos Plane is so high, I knew I should've wished for more SoCR. I read myself down to ~8 and moved in. I had trained my missile skills for this moment, and had a stack of poison tipped demon-slaying arrows ready for Andor Drakon. But he wasn't buying it. So I got close and started whacking him with the TotRR. Inelegant but it worked. He fell just as I was picking up corruption #13.

Interesting kill sheet:

32 ancient black D
50 ancient blue D - seriously it was like cutting through butter by the end
2 ancient karmic D
8 ancient minotaurs
2 ancient red D
14 ancient white D
25 balors
113 chaos mutants
224 chaos servants
41 chaos warriors
26 chaos wizards
1 great black wyrm
20 great blue wyrms
2 great karmic wyrms
1 greater balor
125 greater chaos servants
4 greater molochs
2 liches
8 lich kings
3 master liches
49 molochs
113 quicklings
14 quickling kings
97 quickling lords
102 writhing masses of primal chaos
1 quickling queen

Tourtiere
01-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Oh, also, I'd like to add that while I did have to Pray in the very early game, there were no other divine interventions. Good, lucky game.

Chris
01-02-2011, 06:48 AM
Well done and congratulations.

Why did you do #12, though? Aggravate a cave lion once you had the RoTMC.

Tourtiere
01-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Well done and congratulations.

Why did you do #12, though? Aggravate a cave lion once you had the RoTMC.

So that the depositing of the Fire Orb didn't accidentally kill the lion, explode my hand.

Chris
01-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Ah, that makes sense. Did you learn that the hard way in previous games or was the whole game just that well-thought out?

grobblewobble
01-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Congratulations, well done!

6. Was at L:38 and had run out of things to do. Needed to get to L:45. Went down and killed Malakai. Found a named great blue wyrm tension room on ID: 65; =Shock and Wyrmlance made it not a problem.

At this point, with =shock and wyrmlance, you could have dived straight to the blue dragon caves. You would have gained you the needed xp in the process.. no reason to mess with Malakai, the deep ID is highly corrupting.

If you had already done that, you could have gained the XP by making the ancient karmic wyrm invisible (throw a potion) and slaying him. Anyway.. nice win.

breeolson
01-02-2011, 07:49 PM
The least scummy game I've ever played.

Found a ring of weakness around Day 60-- three in game total. Decided to go for it. Went to the Barbarian Glade, Recovery = 5000, picked up enough gear until I was strained!, waited for a couple of weeks, Strength went from 25 to 45
Congratz on an Ultra, but I don't think you should be advertising this as a low scummy game. Ring of weakness is like the worst thing IMO, short of savescumming.
Also, does PoEX really have a better chance of getting RoDS if you have more luck?

Tourtiere
01-03-2011, 08:20 AM
Congratz on an Ultra, but I don't think you should be advertising this as a low scummy game. Ring of weakness is like the worst thing IMO, short of savescumming.

I don't even know how to save-scum and as such, I've lost two Ultra contenders to the Khelly bug in the last six months alone.

Personally, I consider the ring of weakness to be an item of such rarity that I don't consider taking advantage of its properties to be any different than herb farming for a pre-crown.

Tourtiere
01-03-2011, 08:29 AM