PDA

View Full Version : ARGH! Trapped armor...How do I get rid of it

F50
04-23-2009, 03:55 AM
I have a level 11 dwarven monk who just equip-identified some trapped plate mail. Especially considering I wasn't really intending to use it anyways, not nice. Haven't yet completed first dwarven question, precrowned with whirlwind, and crowned with gauntlets (which I fortunately remembered not to equip)...the guantlets of eternal peace.

How do I get rid of it, help!

EDIT: Oh dear, I forgot about my deity's gift and equipped the gauntlets...less than 60 seconds after writing this post.

Xanthine
04-23-2009, 04:01 AM
Unfortunately, the only way to remove trapped armor is item destruction.

If you remove and drop all other stuff and read a scroll of item destruction, that should do it.

JellySlayer
04-23-2009, 04:22 AM
If it is iron, a rust monster should probably be able to take care of it.

You might be able to dip it in a potion of exchange or raw chaos (not sure).

Hitting Ctrl-T over an acid trap should work if you leave your other gear elsewhere as well. Any other kind of trap like exploding runes or fireballs could get it too.

Panda_Lord
04-23-2009, 04:27 AM
I recall one time where my father had equipped a set of trapped clothes on his Trollish Wizard. He read online about how one can change items into other items by dipping them into Potions of Raw Chaos. He decided to dip the trapped clothes into the PoRC. The clothes proceeded to explode on his body, giving him the "horns" corruption, the "hooves" corruption, the "extremely thin and nimble" corrpution, and killing him. He and I laughed luxuriously over the event.

Paternal stories aside, you could always try dipping said plate mail into a potion of exchange or a potion of raw chaos. I know for a fact that the armor won't always explode if one does the latter. Of course, scrolls of item destruction would work, and I don't think they can destroy artifacts (so the fact that you have equipped the Guantlets of Eternal Peace matters little).

JellySlayer
04-23-2009, 04:44 AM
The trick with PoRC is to go to a danger level where the item you are trying to get rid of either 1) can't spawn, or 2) is less likely to spawn. So if you have a reasonably high DL item (plate mail), then you can probably safely get rid of it by dipping it in a DL 1 area. If you have a low DL item (clothes), there's a good chance it will explode if you dip at DL1, so instead you need to go somewhere with a high DL (dwarven halls, for example) and dip there. The theory is that the RNG picks a random item of the same type from a list, and if it gives you the SAME item back, then you get an explosion.

gut
04-23-2009, 02:57 PM
> read a scroll of item destruction, that should do it.

You have to be wearing 3 items for the scroll to work.
Also, it seems like it never destroys the one you want : )
Anyhow, I say try the acid trap trick. There is a guaranteed
one in the pyramid.

F50
04-23-2009, 05:42 PM
I don't think I have scroll of item destruction, dipping the plate mail in a potion of exchange on DH2 might be very useful, could a water trap rust it to nothing? Acid trap I might try too.

Silfir
04-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Water traps can rust it, but not to nothing - only a rust monster can do that. Though they aren't exactly rare, so it should be a workable method.

Sradac
04-23-2009, 06:30 PM
unfortunatly, no to water trap. wont even rust weapons away to nothing, rusted weapons just break and have all dmg halved. really sucks having a cursed broken rusty scimitar on a druid.

warheart
04-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Water traps can rust it, but not to nothing - only a rust monster can do that. Though they aren't exactly rare, so it should be a workable method.

But then, when you finally meet a rust monster, it won't destroy your armor, that would be too easy. Once I let an eye of destruction melee me for 2k turns with only 1 item equipped without geting it destroyed, and then got my best item destroyed in 1 turn by the next eye.

RndmNumGenerator
04-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Question: Why were you equip-idenfitying plate mail? It's not as if you can get any benefit out of it as a monk, and unless you got it after slaying an artifact guardian it can't be Perion's. It's only other possible use is selling to a shop, and shops pay the same if it's identified or not.

JellySlayer
04-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Well, for a low level monk like he's got, the PV bonus from the armor is probably much better than his monk DV bonus. As long as he's not burdened by it, he can still happily fight barehanded too.

F50
04-23-2009, 11:18 PM
The +4 PV definitely is useful, its just the being unable to get rid of it and I found some better armor going through an ogre vault. It was "of power" as well, but that's kinda meaningless for a relatively low-level monk.

I dipped the plate mail into a potion of exchange on DH2. Clothes, oh well, at least I can get the 320s chain mail (gb says average +7pv) from the ogre vault.

Alavir
04-25-2009, 09:50 PM
The best solution probably would be to read a cursed scroll of item destruction (if i remember correctly, you can choose the item to be destroyed if the scroll is cursed) or dipping into a potion of exchange. Also, if you feel brave you could annoy an enemy god who would destroy all of your equipped items (he could also send a ray on you, or summon some balors so beware), so obviously unequip all your non-artifact stuff, annoy the god and let him do the job for you.

Soirana
04-26-2009, 02:36 AM
The best solution probably would be to read a cursed scroll of item destruction (if i remember correctly, you can choose the item to be destroyed if the scroll is cursed) ... summon some balors
No and no. I've also heard idea about equipping two artifacts +trapped armour before scroll of item destruction somewhere. That doesn't work either.

F50
04-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I believe you need two destructible items + scroll of item destruction for optimum chances of success. The idea is, If I remember from a thread on the brinkster forum, if the scroll destroys itself or an item that cannot be destroyed (artifact), then nothing is destroyed. Also, I believe it always does nothing unless there is three destructible items. Some more testing would be nice.