PDA

View Full Version : an idea about ADOM funding

Zeno
04-03-2011, 09:49 AM
I have recently found out about the crowdfunding method of raising funds for gaming initiatives. You set up a project and a threshold and request donations, if they meet the threshold you get the money and have to work. Seems much better than a traditional donation, where donators have no guarantee that they will actually get something in return.

For example, this roguelike (http://www.8bitfunding.com/project_details.php?p_id=65) has raised $4800, and as far as I know, the only thing they had before was a very simple game.

Maybe a project like "fix the remaining bugs in ADOM", "iADOM", "ADOM Deluxe", "ADOM with lovely graphics", "JADE", or just "release the ADOM source code" could raise enough money to make Thomas actually work on it? I think there is nothing to lose*, and I think ADOM has lots of fans who care.

* (Although I don't understand what happens if the threshold is not met. Does the money return to the donators, are they available for relocation to another project (as I think it should be), or does 8bitfunding take it? Their FAQ is not clear about that.)

Dudley
04-03-2011, 12:58 PM
It is my belief that the Creator does not care about money. Time is what he needs, time is money, but money ain't time...

Silfir
04-03-2011, 02:12 PM
We could start up discussions on whether it is still a donation if the receiver is expected to perform certain tasks in exchange for receiving it. That sounds suspiciously like an advance payment.

Zeno
04-03-2011, 05:25 PM
I think he does care about money, he once stated (http://www.adom.de/misc/news.php3?show=64&lastindex=20) that he would work on ADOM and JADE if he got a "couple of millions". Just fixing the bugs in ADOM should be possible for a lot less. (And releasing the source would be not work at all, but of course he might just not want to release the source at any cost.)

Silfir: I think you are right, my "donation" was a bit of an abuse. 8bitfunding uses "funds" or "contributions".