PDA

View Full Version : TB on the ADOM source

Grey
04-15-2011, 09:20 AM
For those who haven't noticed, Thomas Biskup has released a new blog post (http://www.adom.de/blog/2011/04/14/the-genie-and-the-bottle/) about the ADOM source code. This is perhaps his strongest statement yet confirming that he will never ever ever release the source, for a variety of reasons.

Perhaps some will be disappointed with this, or disagree with it, but it's something I've accepted for a long time anyway. It's something I've given up caring about too - I've been playing the current version of ADOM for many years without many bug issues. Indeed, in spite of its bugs it's still very stable compared to many many other games. With community games and self-enforced challenges it provides a lot of fun, and I certainly get my money's worth out of it. Releasing the source might be nice, but ultimately it wouldn't improve the game much, so I'm just not that bothered.

It is a shame he doesn't take a little better care of the forums - especially when seeing him putting the time and effort in to reply to idiots moaning about the source when they don't even play the game. I think perhaps he needs reminding that he does still have a community here, quietly enjoying the fruits of his work. From what I gather he's wholly unaware of the existence of the ssh server, or the many challenge games we play, or even the amazing ADOM art thread. Its been 9 years since the last update of the ADOM code and yet there's still a community carrying on enjoying it to the full - quite an achievement really.

vogonpoet
04-15-2011, 01:29 PM
So wait, we just need to get a billionaire hooked on ADOM, get him or her to donate 5 million or so euros to Thomas, and get some ADOM and JADE development? What we waiting for?

/not a billionaire
//or a millionaire
///shit, I don't even have thousands

Silfir
04-15-2011, 08:52 PM
This is rather the opposite of news. I only fear this will have the kind of effect long, detailed explanations usually have on the internet: Bugger all.

I like to think Thomas knows that if he actually read all of the awesome things we're doing, he would waste a magnitude of his already precious time joining in on the fun, and he can't afford that. We should admire his willpower!

gut
04-16-2011, 12:26 AM
i also was irritated that he is taking time to explain himself, yet again, for not
releasing the source. the only thing i would ask for with reference to adom is
to incorperate some crash fixes, and only if it is easy. as for adding features to
adom, or opening the source, i hope it doesn't happen. i like the fact that a
game this old is still having secrets discovered.

adom has been largely left behind, in the wake of crawl and tome, but trying
to bring adom into modern days might... change it. as grey says, it is excellent
as it is.

focus on jade or adom live.

Zeno
04-26-2011, 02:50 PM
I don't know how to comment on the blog posts. Maybe trying 8bitfunding instead of Kickstarter would be good? AFAIK it is more game-related, I think it does not require a US bank account (as it is PayPal-based), and some roguelike projects have got considerable money from there.

foxfire29
05-21-2011, 12:52 AM
I think its a shrewd move on the part of the Creator (I didnt consider this until now) , I mean if Im being brutally honest Adom has a better feel to the gameplay than the lot of them in my view, I LOVE the way the casting works, some roguelike you just cast and you dont see an ascii bolt, I know this may seem trvial but adom has a plethora of quirks like this which still make it hold its own. I think the game Author realises this.

I am an advocate for the source code getting released but Im not losing any sleep over it and I do see where the previous posters are comming from, I mean chances are Mr Biskup will get rage mails from people who dont play and think they will get some miraculous insight from the source code taking it from not being able to code a RL to making a great one. I admit before I knew better I may have thought slightly like that years back, but after coding a bare bones roguelike, well suffice to say at the end of the day there is information out there with up to date, more featured languages than what was used for Adom, so in short I see everyones point regarding all this, both sides of the coin. I am still a bit dissapointed that no source code will get released but I am guessing all you community oldies (No offence btw) saw this comming a long time ago.

Im just glad there is a core of people on these forums who keep the vast majority of the forum sort of mentality with a friendly deamenor. As long as this forum keeps a base of people who are not 'full of themselves' as is currently then newbies will come to the game (as I did) , not know what to make of it and get informed advice from masters of the game who have refined their tactics to pro lvl. (Which results in new fanatic player, I mean as a Newbie play roguelikes and your going to end up trying ADOM at some point)

I may be way of here but assuming the author makes some small/medium amounts of money of this site whats going to happen to the userbase if the game gets made better by someone who has the time, puts forums up for an improved version and keeps updating, basically eventually the new site will be the most used. Still would be nice to see the source but I wander if that all has anything to do with it?

gut
05-21-2011, 10:17 AM
> eventually the new site will be the most used

pooor brinkster