PDA

View Full Version : It's here

Grey
07-02-2011, 02:50 AM
JADE 0.1.0 has been released: http://www.adom.de/jade/downloads/javawebstart/0.1.0/download.html

Kinda surreal, eh? I'd given up on this happening a long time ago... Not sure what to say about the game itself - there's a whole lot of interface niggles, but the world map and town generator are exceptionally impressive.

TB has reopened the forums to new users, with the promise of moderators to control any spambots. Hopefully we won't get an overwhelming tide :)

Oh, and happy birthday Thomas! I'll see if I can find you a card made of JADE ;)

Silfir
07-02-2011, 03:50 AM
This feels historic: My first JADE death. I collected 1467 points, 111 xp. I'm not sure HP regeneration is implemented yet. If it is, I feel dumb for just running around like a crazed hippo.

Looking forward to dying tens of thousands of times in the future. And now, going to bed, seeing it's almost 6am in the morning. Did he stay up to release this, or get up way too early?

EDIT: Holy shit, reading the JADE blog just gave me a roguelikegasm.

Chris
07-02-2011, 04:44 AM
Just had my first death, too, in that foreboding dungeon thingy. I might have died because of a bug, after picking up all the items in the shop and dropping them (ADOM habits die hard) and killing a goodwife and a farmer I became overburdened but I could still move. Had a speed of 62, though.

Played one game and now it's time to sleep ;) Looking forward to reading all your experiences of the forum

gut
07-02-2011, 05:02 AM
didn't manage to die. I went straight to a minotaur maze like dungeon
and got about 5 minutes into it without finding stairs. I decided it would
be too much trouble to try to navigate my way back out, so just quit.
Jade is big, that is for sure. Maybe we will get auto-explore in 0.2.0.

SECOND TRY:
Found some different dungeons, fought a bit more. Got this message:
"Unimplemented process:choose ProfessionForLevelGain"

Tried the command 'ctrl-h' and got a laugh :D

One major difference in game play between adom and jade is the
buffering of keyboard commands. I held down the 4 key and had
to wait 30 seconds for the keypresses to all play out before resuming
travel.

Careful no items get dropped on your staircase. The 'alt-l' command
isn't implimented yet, so you will have a difficult time finding the
stairs again.

Hmm, shopkeepers and thugs cannot cross water, but I can...

Laukku
07-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Awesome! Everyone together:

TB is The Best! :D

(will go play now...)

EDIT: Played some. After a while, I found a potion! Unfortunately there is no drinking command :-/

_Ln_
07-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Dammit awesome!

I wish I didn't get hungry in future versions either xD

Laukku
07-02-2011, 07:11 AM
My brother just explored the whole world, without ever eating. It took him 14 years. If only real cartography was this easy. :D

400th post, whoopee.

nathrakh
07-02-2011, 08:39 AM
It's quite nice demo!

Al-Khwarizmi
07-02-2011, 11:10 AM
At last! This is a historic day! :)

Here is my first JADE game:

G?lniok, male mountain dwarven fighter
Score 2,840
1659 xps
2585 turns
Killed by an orcish brute.

I found the game very playable for a 0.1.0 version, actually! Of course there are features missing but many are there too. And it has the ADOM look and most of the commands which is always nice.

I think the most disrupting bug I have found is that when you pick up items your inventory weight goes up, but when you drop them it doesn't go down, so if you get Strained there seems to be no way to unstrain yourself.

Also, we need copy-paste functionality in the high-score list! :)

kapsi
07-02-2011, 11:15 AM
And have to leave my keyboard with the numeric keypad today, damn.

Pustka
07-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Does evereyone have font like this in JADE ?

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7799/jadeh.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/219/jadeh.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

quik
07-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Alt+l, didn't know that one! Thanks gutt.

Regarding JADE, it really looks awesome. I hope the versions keep coming out and we soon can enjoy playing a full game!

Moeba
07-02-2011, 03:20 PM
wooh! it looks really great, in the sense that it is probably going to be quite great :P

tapi
07-02-2011, 05:03 PM
This is indeed an incredible occasion for us who have been here for 10+ years diligently waiting and hoping for JADE. Thank you Thomas for your incredible work with ADOM and best of luck and perseverance with JADE! :)

EbbeLockert
07-02-2011, 05:17 PM
This is incredible. I'm 21 years old, and I've been waiting almost half my life for this. I can't wait for content to start filling up, making this game ever more enjoyable!

kapsi
07-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I hope we'll get the interface more like DOS ADOM I grew up with. I don't like these windows popping up and small fonts.

CloudKing
07-03-2011, 03:46 AM
Hey, first post, long time ADOM player. First we get JADE, now i can finally post on the forums. This is Fantastic. First JADE death (Loot, male, mountain dwarf, fighter)

Dervi
07-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Ten years...

It has already been ten years since the release of ADOM 1.0.0. Since that time (I specially enjoyed playtesting for the pre-release versions... and I hope not too many players have desecrated my statue in the Bug Temple since then ;)), I've played ADOM less and less (being quite disappointed with the following 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 releases)... constantly waiting for a new version to come out.

Today, I wake up and check ADOM website like every week or so... to discover that the first JADE release is out! Of course the first thing I did was to download and try it... and it's impressive! If only my character didn't start with cursed stuff... :)

Oh yeah... about the weight bug... not only weight doesn't go down when you drop an item, but it goes up when you equip an item too. ;) Easy to become overburdened fast...

I've been playing ADOM since 1996... I will probably enjoy playing JADE for the next 15 years :)

Dervi
07-03-2011, 10:50 AM
This feels historic: My first JADE death. I collected 1467 points, 111 xp. I'm not sure HP regeneration is implemented yet. If it is, I feel dumb for just running around like a crazed hippo.

Looking forward to dying tens of thousands of times in the future. And now, going to bed, seeing it's almost 6am in the morning. Did he stay up to release this, or get up way too early?

EDIT: Holy shit, reading the JADE blog just gave me a roguelikegasm.

Err... seems that my character regenerates HPs normally. Did you pick up "Healing" as a skill at start? If not, that could explain why you don't regenerate HPs...

Silfir
07-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Nah, I just didn't pay attention at all (Yeah, I did pick up Healing - why wouldn't you?). Truth be told, I wanted to die anyway. With the weight bug and the selection of monsters as it is, there's not much point in prolonged playing.

Maul
07-04-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm trying to enter settlements and caves but can't. I'm using > <. What gives?

gekko
07-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Maul: I had the same problem. The '?' command in the game gives the location where you can change the keybindings. You can edit that file with a text editor (for example NotePad) to change the command for "enter" for something that works. Mine is 'Y' and 'M', maybe that will work for you too.

vogonpoet
07-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Big success :) I just died - took me a while, killed three shopkeepers in a row, didn't even scratch me, but eventually some orcish brutes in yet another forbidding tunnel sorted me out - the first forbidding tunnel was a bit dull, 5 levels just getting more strained, but damn, it looks cool so far.

So, Bamboozhell the mountain dwarf fighter scored 9984 points, survived 1yr 7 months, and was apparently N/N, despite killing an awful lot of civilians on his stroll down Torgal road :D

Laukku
07-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Did anyone try looking at the in-game documentation yet? There's some interesting stuff in the to-do list (alt-t), like mention of infinite cities.

adamalive
07-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Yeah, an infinite city sounds incredibly fun, as does pretty much everything else planned to be implemented :D