PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is the most important feature that should be implemented in 0.2.0?

Laukku
07-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Which basic features should be implemented in order to make JADE more playable? What do you think is most important? Something other than bugs or more items/monsters.

I think hunger should be implemented next. It's a traditional and essential part of roguelike gameplay - finding yourself in a situation where you don't have any food left, desperately killing monsters in hopes of a corpse, is a classic RL situation. :D The need to maintain food in your inventory would already make JADE more interesting. Also, it would prevent you from just walking around Ancardia and completely exploring it in 14 years.

Grey
07-03-2011, 10:54 AM
With the way the game is now I'd say hunger is a bad idea. Eventually, yes, but not when there are such huge environments to explore.

I'd like the dungeons to be smaller, and have thematical dungeons. (orc dungeon, goblin camp, forest of wild animals, etc) Some sort of win condition would be nice too.

Oh, and gold. There's not much reason to actually adventure right now. Add some gold and there is a purpose to the dungeon diving.

Laukku
07-03-2011, 11:28 AM
With the way the game is now I'd say hunger is a bad idea. Eventually, yes, but not when there are such huge environments to explore.

Well, most of "the Ancardia" is currently the same, so for me there is not much reason to explore yet. Some kind of a limit would be nice, walking around the world with such ease just kills my willing suspension of disbelief. Ancardia would feel much larger IMO if you can't simply explore all of it at once.

And gold, definitely. Currently you can't by anything from shops. :P A "go kill monsters -> gather their gold -> buy stronger weapons and armour -> fight tougher monsters" cycle would be a great gameplay addition.

nathrakh
07-03-2011, 11:41 AM
I want Staff of Khelavaster!

Seriously tho, I want few of the critical bugs prepaired (like the weight bug). Metal types in items, items for all the item slots, food, more potions aswell as the ability to drink them and money.

And maybe some guaranteed places/objects.

Silfir
07-03-2011, 01:03 PM
If I understood Thomas correctly, he wants 0.2.0 to feel more like a game, and that means more stuff to do and collect. Monsters, items by the bucketloads! And some NPC interactions. Also, are traps already in? I want my head smashed in by stone blocks again!

Hunger should be implemented if it's possible within the game to keep the PC fed, but I don't think it's the greatest priority at this point.

Aielyn
07-03-2011, 01:03 PM
First and foremost, the Look command (I've already posted a "feature request" for it, in fact).

Beyond that, I'd like to see some methods of healing introduced into the game soon (if there are potions out there, I haven't seen them, yet - is there a healing potion, yet?). Oh, and perhaps a few ego items, even if they're really basic "change the weapon stats" and "alter character stats" types (Long Sword of the Eagle {Pe+1}, for instance).

I'd also like there to be one kind of "target" item, somewhere, added specifically as a test, made into a temporary "win condition". It could be hidden within any one of the random dungeons, and guarded by one unique NPC.

Moeba
07-03-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm in for some (random) quests! And skills that actually have some influence (if I'm right they don't have any influence right now)

CloudKing
07-04-2011, 01:33 AM
I'd like the dungeons to be smaller, and have thematical dungeons. (orc dungeon, goblin camp, forest of wild animals, etc)

i agree

Al-Khwarizmi
07-04-2011, 09:53 AM
1. Bugfix for the weight bug. Yes, I know you said "other than bugs", but this one is too important to not mention it IMO.
2. An NPC giving quests (at the moment, just random monster quests or "get to level X of the dungeon" quests would be fine) and a provisional victory condition (again, nothing very elaborate, maybe just getting a certain item). I'd like to be the first one to post a YAVP in JADE... oh wait... it wouldn't be YAVP, it would be TFVP or something like that, right?
3. Hunger. I agree with Laukku on that one. Right now the game is not very challenging (I reached level 9 with around 100 HP and I was all but invincible). This would be one simple way of adding challenge (because I suppose it's easier to implement than, say, traps, monsters with ranged attacks, karmic beings, corruption, etc. although I may be wrong, and any of those other things would also do).
4. Wilderness encounters! This would do something re: difficulty of exploration.
5. Gold. It's a pity to have shops and not be able to use them.

1+2+3 would already make the game quite addictive.

Laukku
07-04-2011, 10:08 AM
About victory conditions: didn't TB say at one point that JADE won't have "winning" in the traditional sense? As in, you can complete the quest to save the world, but the game won't end at that point, and you can continue being a farmer or shop owner or whatever.

A quest with a simple goal (such as obtaining a MacGuffin) would give some purpose to playing, victory condition or not.

I'd also like a way to somehow uncurse worn items. I don't think there is one yet.

gut
07-04-2011, 02:06 PM
I killed 47 goodwives, farmers, children, and shopkeepers.
You tell me that isn't winning?

Travis Prue
07-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Yep, needs money. :D

I killed 47 goodwives, farmers, children, and shopkeepers.
You tell me that isn't winning?

That is indeed winning good sir.

CloudKing
07-04-2011, 10:21 PM
money
wilderness encounters
a way to uncurse
weight bug

i think are the most urgent

BFBeast666
07-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Yes, hunger and enviromental dangers would be very cool to give the game more depth.

Then, I'd like to see ranged combat. Advantage of getting this relatively early in is that you can hammer out any kinks the targeting routines may have, which will be of much benefit later when magic comes into play too.

And finally I'd like some tools to mess the world up, like axes, pickaxes, shovels and stuff to use them with. Not the full item creation system (smithing might be a little much to get in in one go), but ways to manipulate the overworld and dungeons. Getting rid of walls, building bridges across rivers, maybe even pave roads between locations? I want a little Minecraft in my roguelike, harr harr harr :)

adom-admin
07-19-2011, 08:48 PM
1. Bugfix for the weight bug. Yes, I know you said "other than bugs", but this one is too important to not mention it IMO.

In my JADE 0.1.2 this bug is fixed. Isn't it in yours? I just tried it and weight adjusts as expected.

Grey
07-19-2011, 10:09 PM
His post was from before 0.1.2 :)

grobblewobble
09-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Tactics settings and faster run speed when you are low on HP and in coward mode. It will make an enormous difference to game balance.

Right now, if I meet a hobgoblin leader with a great sword, that means game over. He hits me harder than I hit him back, that means he kills me. I can't run away. I have absolutely zero tactical options..

adom-admin
10-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Which basic features should be implemented in order to make JADE more playable? What do you think is most important? Something other than bugs or more items/monsters.

I think hunger should be implemented next. It's a traditional and essential part of roguelike gameplay - finding yourself in a situation where you don't have any food left, desperately killing monsters in hopes of a corpse, is a classic RL situation. :D The need to maintain food in your inventory would already make JADE more interesting. Also, it would prevent you from just walking around Ancardia and completely exploring it in 14 years.

Hunger now will be in JADE 0.2.0 although it will be very different from the ADOM way of starving... somewhat less intrusive (due to the greater distances) and with more gradually harm coming along the way (e.g. no all or nothing death). I'll be curious to see how people will find the new starvation system.

adom-admin
10-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Then, I'd like to see ranged combat. Advantage of getting this relatively early in is that you can hammer out any kinks the targeting routines may have, which will be of much benefit later when magic comes into play too.

Missiles are the big feature for the JADE 0.3.x line although I'm just now busying myself with the new animation system for JADE which also will be used for missiles (and the missile combat engine already is almost 90% finished). Nonetheless... feature by feature ;-)

And finally I'd like some tools to mess the world up, like axes, pickaxes, shovels and stuff to use them with. Not the full item creation system (smithing might be a little much to get in in one go), but ways to manipulate the overworld and dungeons. Getting rid of walls, building bridges across rivers, maybe even pave roads between locations? I want a little Minecraft in my roguelike, harr harr harr :)

You will love the new construction and processing system in JADE. There are not yet that many construction plans built into the game but the great thing is that the new infrastructure allows me to both add predefined and random plans and it takes a couple of minutes to add a new plan. So you can build a lot of stuff. Right now I am toying with the new animation system to show a video like this:

Process fire opals and turn them into magical powder. (already works)
Create a powder line (already works).
Put more fire opals at various positions on the powder line (works).
Move to one end of the powder line (works ;-) )
Imbue the powder with mana (works).
Watch it triggering mana blasts that create a kind of chain reaction (works 95%, more testing needed for special cases).
Watch the mana blasts triggering the fire opals (works).
Watch the fire opals explode into lava spires (works).
Watch the lava slowly flooding the environment and destroying stuff, etc. (mostly works).
That's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg and the next few versions of JADE will add a ton of such cool combinations. I'm sure that initially there will be some balance issues but that's just a matter of testing ;-) :)

BasedOnOprah
10-16-2011, 12:30 AM
Since missiles aren't coming out till 0.3 can we please please get a (l)ook command and tactics please oh please?

Mngwa
11-17-2011, 06:36 PM
I think it should be savegame file, like in the old ADOM. I do not know how you feel it, but I dont like the idea of spending whole lifetime trying to get somewhere.

Laukku
11-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Maybe I'll repurpose this as a general "next version" thread, as 0.2.0 is already out. Is there a way to change the title?

What I currently want the most is the tactics system, especially the speed bonus when in coward mode with critical health. There are so many nasty monsters that I'd really like to be able to outrun.

MITZE
11-23-2011, 09:19 PM
@Laukku: You could always play as a Dark/Gray/High Elf--they get enough speed to outrun anything. Not that I can survive with them anyway... :(

In any case, I agree--I miss the tactics system. I'm also still waiting for shields to be made useful again--they don't lend much towards survival as they are currently.

Cass
11-24-2011, 12:44 PM
0. no more disappearing inventory and fewer errors, so the game's actually fun to play.
1. To be able to look at stuff, like in Adom. So I know more about monsters, how hurt they are, etc. and to learn more about their statistics as I fight them more.
2. I'd like for a few more skills to be implemented. Backstabbing, trapdetection and disabling, first aid, literacy, gemology, anything.
3. I'd like to see more dungeon features (but maybe I'm just unlucky). I haven't seen a shop or a tension room yet (just one altar and two ant nests). Working traps perhaps, and a higher chance for tension rooms would be a nice start.
4. Wilderness encounters or other features to spice up traveling.
5. Some ways to identify items (could go under point 2), and more ways to uncurse them would be nice. If I put on a cursed item I'm now stuck with it for the rest of the game (water either doesn't work anymore or I just never find blessed water).

Laukku
11-29-2011, 06:59 PM
I just remembered the First Aid skill, which is also something I really want in order to increase survivability. I wanna do the classic "Fist Aid while Coward" move. :-P

MITZE
11-30-2011, 10:50 PM
I just remembered the First Aid skill, which is also something I really want in order to increase survivability. I wanna do the classic "Fist Aid while Coward" move. :-P

It's listed as having been implemented for version 0.1.3--but it's not in the current list of usable skills.

Something's not right.