PDA

View Full Version : JADE discovery and discussion thread

Aielyn
07-17-2011, 12:51 PM
I figured there's value in having a thread for any discoveries people might make, of things in JADE that are a little more "hidden", as well as anything that you might suspect is occurring and want to get other opinions on.

The reason I'm making this thread now is a suspicion I'm starting to have regarding turn durations. In ADoM, attacking and moving, sans any special items or abilities, tended to be similar in time required per action. In JADE, it seems as though, when you attack something, all the monsters moving around take longer to move than they do when you move around.

Is it possible that fighting is now significantly (say, 2x) faster than moving in JADE?

Laukku
07-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Duplicate. http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=11280

Aielyn
07-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Duplicate. http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=11280

Not quite duplicate, actually. I'm not talking about undocumented features, nor about "hidden goodies", but about nuances (like the example in the first post) and things that you'll find as you go further in the game, but which aren't obvious (like items that only show up at higher danger levels, meaning deeper in dungeons, or something like that).

Also, that thread seems more focused on fun glitches and ways to take advantage of the game's design. You know, ways to work the system, hence "undocumented features" and "hidden goodies". This thread is for discoveries (like, a new artifact turning up) and game feature discussion (how does speed vary with burden levels? What do the percentage and multiplier numbers on items mean? What game mechanics have changed from ADoM?).

Grond
08-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Speaking of danger levels...
Monsters get confused when following you up/down stairs and can be killed indefinitely many times (assuming you use the stairs once in a while). This both levels you up very quickly and generates massive piles of loot.

I'm guessing that the "danger level" (or whatever its counterpart is in JADE) of the dungeon is based mainly on the PC's level; once I hit level 30 and started a fresh dungeon it contained almost exclusively hydras (8+ headed hydras most likely being the toughest monsters as of 0.1.2). Further, it was possible to generate eternium weapons on the first level of the dungeon.

The cap on weapon skill level from ADOM has also been removed or raised, as I got up to level 23 two-handed axes (gave something like +65 to hit, +49 to damage, +7% crit, x5 multiplier, +7 DV, but didn't seem to alter the energy cost of combat).

Joe
08-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Has anyone discovered already what the 'you sense a spark of divinity' or sortalike message does? I never seem to be able to find anything interesting on a level where the message is generated...

Al-Khwarizmi
08-16-2011, 03:35 PM
No idea. At the moment the only special level feature I have found is tension rooms.

Has anyone managed to complete the quest? I haven't gotten past level 6 of the CoC (yeah, I know... I have always sucked with melee chars).

anoddlad
08-17-2011, 08:09 AM
I got invited to the pyramid to kill (oops, "meet") Rehetep... unfortunately the pyramid won't let me in :( I guess I levelled up too many times after (now level 15).
Unless it's somewhere else in JADE?
Has anyone else seen this?

Moeba
08-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Yes, I got invited as well but I didn't level up at all after and the pyramid wouldn't open for me either. It's just not implemented yet I guess.

I also found my first tension room, don't know if anyone else found one already

Moeba
08-17-2011, 03:49 PM
hah and I just got to lvl 19 and got the message: 'You hear an ancient voice in your mind dripping with hate: "Your ancestor managed to defeat me and now you denied me my vengeance!!!'. Actually the voice said more but the rest I won't spoil.

Al-Khwarizmi
08-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Damn, now I have to get to lvl. 19. Did you do it without exploiting any bugs? All my chars tend to get one-hit critted by ogres.

Batman?
08-17-2011, 09:37 PM
I uncursed a sword by dipping it in a potion of water. not really a discovery, but at least now I have a shot of removing cursed wielded items.

Al-Khwarizmi
08-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Yeah, in fact it seems that potions of water sometimes uncurse and sometimes bless... maybe now potions of plain water uncurse and potions of holy water bless?

Batman?
08-18-2011, 04:25 PM
anyone know what devils skin armor does?

'of precision' seems to add 2 to the attack power dice - whoch asks the questions what is the attack power dice doing?

King Moila
08-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Dragons also have hides, maybe hidden under their scales. Or under their paws. :)

Studded dragon hide armor (-1, +0) [+1, +7]. Unidentified as studded leather armor.

Orbic
08-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Weapons of heroism are only for true heros, not faint hearted sissies looking for executor... all they do is remove stat points everywhere!

Jursk
08-19-2011, 01:38 PM
First armor drop for me was a great wyrm hide leather armor [+1,+9] or something of that sort :) helped me survive for a while :)

Al-Khwarizmi
08-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Damn, and I was just ignoring all leather armors thinking they would be the usual crap...

Orbic
08-22-2011, 12:53 PM
"You hear the sound of something trapped being opened"
I wonder what kind of sound this could be ;)

Laukku
08-24-2011, 09:16 AM
I found a REALLY tiny village, something like half the size of Terinyo in ADOM.

http://i.imgur.com/DP5e4.png

Al-Khwarizmi
08-24-2011, 08:52 PM
I had a character generated with a horned helmet of stupidity. It doesn't only decrease Le and/or Wi, as you might think. It decreases ALL STATS (or at least almost all, maybe not Ch or Ap).

I guess the name comes from the fact that one must be stupid to wear it for long :P

berta
08-25-2011, 09:38 AM
I found large clothes 1200s an orge dropped them. Does anybody know more about them? I wasn't able to put them on.

Orbic
08-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Only way I see: try looking for one in version 1.3, there you could put on the "large" stuff and wield large great clubs and the like.

Laukku
08-25-2011, 01:18 PM
"Large" weapons can be wielded in 0.1.4. Ogres have large great clubs, which are really awesome. Just kill some ogres until one is dropped. ;)

Archenon
08-26-2011, 09:15 PM
I found large clothes 1200s an orge dropped them. Does anybody know more about them? I wasn't able to put them on.

They're ogre-sized clothing. Not really suitable on man-sized charater.

Laukku
08-27-2011, 12:15 PM
It seems that monster spawning is related to player level. I was killed by an ogre on level 2 of a dungeon. :( He was right next to the stairs, and did a nasty critical hit.

I'd rather not have that be the case, the game already is freakishly difficult. It really doesn't make sense either: How exactly does killing monsters cause levels to have tougher monsters?

acote
08-27-2011, 07:14 PM
So I'm going down into the CoC and I found a maze at lvl4...

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3606/unled1zhz.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/unled1zhz.jpg/)

After I finally find the exit, I go down to lvl5 and...

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8435/unled2gd.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/716/unled2gd.jpg/)

I had crappy gear though.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/1650/unled3ur.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/unled3ur.jpg/)

Also, an old picture I never posted on the forums before.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/3867/23094710150158131651370.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/23094710150158131651370.jpg/)

Dervi
08-28-2011, 12:17 PM
I found something awesome in the armor shop of some human village... a steel plate mail (-3,-3) [+9,+10]. Considering that all other plate mails I've seen since then (including mithril plates) were something like [-4,+7], I thought it was something really unusual.

grobblewobble
09-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Has anyone discovered already what the 'you sense a spark of divinity' or sortalike message does? I never seem to be able to find anything interesting on a level where the message is generated...
I have seen this message a few times, and always on levels that had an altar.

DragonPuki
11-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Trivia question:
"What is the name of the First civilian to detect a Gub?"
}:}

King Moila
11-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Dycten Hauquin, the human beastfighter.

Now, what is a Gub? With capital G?

_Ln_
11-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Dycten Hauquin, the human beastfighter.

Now, what is a Gub? With capital G?

* Immortalized Quentin Dauchy for finding the first bug in JADE (even before it was released).

10chars (quotes apparently do not count to it).

Cass
11-16-2011, 01:23 PM
My (late...) human fighter turned out to have been wearing a 'cursed chaos mutant skin cloak'. No clue what it did but it sounds horribly creepy. I only saw two possible effects:
- A lot of my stuff randomly disappeared at some point. I think that's a bug though.
- I was bloated pretty the much the whole time I played, despite only eating twice. (Could also be a bug though.)

MITZE
11-19-2011, 12:58 AM
I just found 'the misplaced maw of horrendous evil.'

That...has to be one of the most awesome names for a dungeon I've seen yet. :D

MITZE
11-23-2011, 03:43 AM
It occured to me that since beings in JADE can wield a two-handed weapon (that is one size smaller than they are) in one hand, that trolls might be able to wield two quarterstaves at once. As it turns out, they can--and they get the DV bonus from the related weapon skill twice for doing so. A troll specializing in fighting with staves can get mighty evasive indeed.....

Batman?
11-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Troll dual wielding quaterstaves - awesome.

does the statue of Dycten Hauquin do anything? I smashed it and it told me I felt unlucky

MITZE
11-23-2011, 09:49 PM
does the statue of Dycten Hauquin do anything? I smashed it and it told me I felt unlucky

If I had to guess, it's probably the equivalent of being cursed in ADoM.

Cass
11-26-2011, 02:21 PM
My troll put on a 'crusty necklace', resulting in a charisma of -1 and an appearance of -4... then he got infected with sewer rot. I don't even want to imagine what that looks like :D

MITZE
11-26-2011, 09:35 PM
My troll put on a 'crusty necklace', resulting in a charisma of -1 and an appearance of -4...

Wait, are you saying that his stats went into the negatives? Or am I misunderstanding and the necklace only gave penalties of {Ch-1, Ap-4}? :confused:

Cass
11-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Yes they were in the negatives :D After he died (by Ogre or some other big bad smasher, he recovered from the sewer rot), I saw the necklace gave a -10/-10 to charisma and appearance... It was also cursed and unremovable, obviously.

Got something else interesting just now. I entered a dungeon, and found myself in a room with a few enemies and saw the following message: "The giant frog is turned into a soulless husk due to mana loss!" There was no frog, so I guess this means it died, spontaneously.

MITZE
11-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Yes they were in the negatives :D

I entered a dungeon, and found myself in a room with a few enemies and saw the following message: "The giant frog is turned into a soulless husk due to mana loss!" There was no frog, so I guess this means it died, spontaneously.

I've run into the latter issue myself.

I think the both of them are bugs. You should report them.

Cass
12-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Meh, after my last experience I'm gonna wait for 0.2.3 to play again :p

Made a troll fighter, because I wanted to survive for a while... I went into town, there was a weapons and armor store, awesome. Even better, it sold a cloak of invisibility - oh yeah, a chance to actually explore those caves of chaos for the first time (beyond level 3). So I bought some food, and found myself a cave to explore. Gathered all items, money, everything, so I could go buy that cloak. I had about 800 out of the needen 1200 gold - and then I got an error picking up a few more gold coins. Boom. All my gold is gone. A few steps later, so's most of the loot I gathered. *sigh*
I head into town anyways, but unsurprisingly I don't have enough gold for the cloak. Well, let's go to the CoC then, explore the first three levels to try this again. Guess what. When I have about 800 gold again, same thing happens with the gold error. Argh. And this time, my food is gone as well. Double argh. I don't quite give up yet, though.
I find an altar, and drop my stuff on it (the meagre bit that I gathered after the previous disappearing inventory error) to determine it's status. I guess I shouldn't have dropped that corpse though. A few minutes later: error loop, error loop. Abort game.

With the game experience either very similar to that, or dying in my first fight (if I'm not a troll), I think I'll just wait for the next release for now...