PDA

View Full Version : Hit points and game balance

Laukku
07-25-2011, 08:42 PM
I noticed that characters seem to gain more hitpoints per level than discussed in this old article: http://www.adom.de/jade/12249801.php3

For each new level you will gain +1 hitpoint. This might seem little at first (and it is) but it will prevent an evergrowing power spiral in which monsters and the character become tougher and tougher, deal out more and more damage and so on (with all the known balance problems in ADOM). Instead you will have a very gradual scale.

This does not seem to be the case in JADE 0.1.2. I seem to get around 100 HP already at pretty low levels. Did TB change his mind?

I like the idea of level influencing HP very little (though +1 per level might be a bit too little). It makes the game more realistic and makes the player depend more on items. I'd also modify the formula presented on the page to add twice the toughness stat - Toughness should be the most important HP factor, and it makes PCs more survivable.

For Thomas Biskup: How is player HP currently calculated in JADE?

adom-admin
07-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Yes, I have changed my mind for now as it seems to be much harder to find a decent game balance when the PC has very few hitpoints but needs to fight many monsters. Thus we are back to a similar way like in ADOM. Currently initial hit points are calculated by adding the toughness score, the toughness modifier, one half the strength and willpower modifier and a racial die roll together.

And the profession currently does not seem to factor in - I need to check that ;-)