PDA

View Full Version : What do you die to?

Al-Khwarizmi
08-25-2011, 03:14 PM
In JADE 0.1.4, most of my deaths are by hobgoblin leaders wielding a 2-handed weapon (such as a great sword or great mace). They inflict tons of damage and are faster than me, and without tactics or items/spells to delay them I can't do much.

What does the rest of the people die to? Also, any advice on dealing with heavily-armed fast mobs?

Orbic
08-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Same thing here. Ogres can hit as well.
I'm trying different approaches now:
bare hands (levels up very fast, 2 attacks/round) with heavy armour
dual wielding - still looking for the adequate combo.

Bare hands looks good - hobgoblin leaders did not get me, but a bug did ;)

Laukku
08-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Humanoids with "great" weapons. :mad: It's frustrating, they don't tend to drop their awesome weapons even in 0.1.4, even though TB said so (http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=357). Maybe TB meant that only weapons with pre-/suffixes drop.

Last game, I got pretty far. Level 8, 14 PV and a large great wooden club of precision (2d15+4) from an ogre, and the game was a breeze. Then JADE hanged when I went downstairs. :(

Al-Khwarizmi
08-25-2011, 06:44 PM
The game was a breeze, even against the mentioned humanoids armed with "great" weapons? I think I once had a char with 18 PV and I still got pounded by a hobgoblin leader with a great sword... from what I'm seeing it's better to invest in PV than DV (and I'm not getting good results at all with shields), but I have never had a char with which I would call the game "a breeze" :/

Ogres hit harder but they are easy to outrun, so armed hobgoblins are my nemesis.

Laukku
08-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah. I killed most monsters in a single hit, even some ogres. The beings with "great" weapons are a much stronger threat early on, when you don't have much good stuff and HP. But when I got that awesome club, everything changed. :D

Al-Khwarizmi
08-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Hmm, I haven't focused much on 2-handed weapons... I think I will change strategy.

Knyte
08-25-2011, 09:20 PM
I have the same problem with hobgoblin leaders and ogres...I've found that if I managed to get a great mace (which for some reason is 1-handed) and have a decent set of armor (my favorite so far was a studded great wyrm hide armor +4/+9) I do reasonably well, but in the end the mobs always pound me into pc paste, no matter how careful I am.

Moeba
08-25-2011, 10:45 PM
I never had a problem with ogres... just check their movement speed (after how many moves do they wait one turn while you move) and hit them in the turn they can't move. Quickling tactics, so to speak.
Sometimes I die of orcish brutes though, encountered them even on the first level of the CoC once. Otherwise I usually die of hobgoblin chieftains, but that was in JADE 0.1.3. I got killed by a hobgoblin leader once as well.

And since there is no penalty yet for fighting with two weapons, I usually prefer to fight with 2 battle axes; barbaric orcish battle axes (-4, 1d7 + 7) can be found starting from lvl 1 of the CoC (though they are rare).

Al-Khwarizmi
08-26-2011, 12:44 AM
OK, dual-wielding great maces is the way to go. I just had a character who was apparently a powerhouse. Reached lvl. 8 of the CoC, exploring levels fully. He had 21 PV. Most enemies couldn't touch him, ogres could only touch him with crits.

BUT...

He was murdered by a hobgoblin chieftain with a great sword. Damn.

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8229/yasd.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/yasd.png/)

Laukku
08-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Mountain dwarves seem to start with a good two-handed weapon. I think it's better to not wield two average one-handed weapons, because PV reduction will be applied for each weapon, and the overall damage will be lower.

Al-Khwarizmi
08-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Anyway... the guy was wielding two great maces, which each do damage almost comparable to good two-handed weapons... but more importantly, he had 21 PV and over 100 HP and the hobgoblin chieftain killed him like in three hits. I wounder what kind of damage that hobgoblin was dealing, like 60 per hit?

Archenon
08-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Hobgoblin chieftain

Al-Khwarizmi
08-26-2011, 04:02 PM
large great wooden club
I used these in my last game and it is true that they make the game much easier... I'm not sure we were supposed to be able to wield it (isn't it a "large" sized item, in the same way that we can't wear "small" armor)? But it rocks.

At least I got to CoC:9 and to see hydras again (I hadn't seen them in this version). And then I got killed by, guess... a hobgoblin chieftain wileding a great sword. Always a great sword. :P

Moeba
08-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Ouch! I just discovered that hill giants with huge great clubs hurt!

berta
08-27-2011, 09:27 AM
For my PC Orge Lords are nearly impossible to kill will I'm looking forward to meet Hydras to gain experience.
I've a mountain dwarf with DV at 29 and PV at 9. I use two blunt weapons. Blunt weapons 1H is Level 11. For the weapons see the screenshot.

http://gieselbusch.de/images/inventory.png

Unfortunately the mace is a little heavy and as of that I can't real carry any stuff.

Dervi
08-29-2011, 07:34 PM
In JADE 0.1.4, most of my deaths are by hobgoblin leaders wielding a 2-handed weapon (such as a great sword or great mace). They inflict tons of damage and are faster than me, and without tactics or items/spells to delay them I can't do much.

What does the rest of the people die to? Also, any advice on dealing with heavily-armed fast mobs?

Unfortunately... the same. One hit does roughly 100 dam, so you don't stand a chance unless you grind for experience for hours on level 1 of all random dungeons.

Laukku
09-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Another promising character bites the dust! I was doing fine, achieved level 15, had 16 PV, around 180 HP, level 9 in two-handed blunt weapons, one of those large great clubs and almost 25 percent critical hit probability. Even most hopgoblin chieftains were pretty easy. I was cleaning smaller dungeons around the world, intending to gain exp and items before going deeper into the CoC. Then, on level 5 of a dungeon, I encountered an ogre lord who had a large great sword. Unlike normal ogres he was fast, and I couldn't outrun him, so I was killed. :,(

If monster on that low levels are so dealy, I'm scared to see what's in the deeper levels.

Tihh
09-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Ogre lords are hard to kill. I usually try to gain xp on 5-headed hydras before descending to kill ogre lords. I think it's better to visit the 1st levels of some dungeons and go back to hunt xp later. For high level PCs it's more dangerous to visit new dungeons.

The best weapons for me are the large great maces looted from ogres, which are 1-handed weapons (probably a bug) and with 4d7+... damage, so you can dual-wield them for an extremely high damage or if you are too cautious wield a high-metal armor in the left hand (it's better than shields) for very high PV.