PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating Scrolls... help me :)

FatMagic
09-13-2011, 12:21 AM
OK I'm getting frustrated. I can't seem to figure it out, but everytime I read a scroll that I think is one thing - it ends up being another! I don't understand what's wrong. I am a newb to this game, so I'm sure I'm missing something important.

For example. I'm a High Elf Archer. I wanted to indentify my entire inventory. So I blessed the scroll named "KLATHA DATHA NY'ARYATHA" by dipping it into holy water. I then read it. It then took my primary weapon and said "Your scimitar glows with a red light!". I have no idea what happened, but my inventory and worn items did not get identified.

Is there something I'm missing? Every scroll I've read doesn't go according to what I've read on the ADOM guidebook for scrolls... I'm confused :(

Any help would be appreciated!

BTW I'm playing on Jaakkos server.

Silfir
09-13-2011, 12:49 AM
You misunderstood the guidebook in this case - to be fair, I'm not sure it's spelled out anyplace. So I'm going to spell it out here:

Most scroll labels are random. In fact, all scrolls that have some sort of tangible effect when read have randomly assigned labels. This includes scrolls of identify. "KLATHA DATHA NY'ARYATHA" can be scrolls of identify in one game, scrolls of increase melee accuracy in the next.

So no, you absolutely cannot follow the guidebook list for scrolls. ADOM would be a good bit more boring if it were any different.

Now, I'm not entirely sure if scroll labels are "grouped" in a way that a certain set of labels correspond to a certain set of scrolls, which would help narrow down possible results. Wands and rings and I think potions are, however - for each of these, there are quite useful examples of items being identifiable solely by description. You might want to check out ancardia.wikia.com for some more information. But in general, the way to find out what your stuff does is to either try it out or identify it somehow, either through shops or identify spells, whatever the source.

(A good tip for trying out is to collect a whole bunch of scrolls, and try the largest stack; the scroll of identify is one of the most, if not the most common scroll.)

FatMagic
09-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Perfect! Thank you Silfir this is exactly what I was assuming. Just a newb trying to learn the game and it's mechanics.