PDA

View Full Version : By the way, about gardening.

yisk
03-23-2008, 08:58 PM
I would like to see more developed system of agriculture in JADE, than in ADOM. 15-20 different fruit and the vegetables, demanding various a condition for growth. For example, oranges, water-melons, melons and bananas can grow only in a hot climate. Carrots, pumpkins, potatoes and tomatoes can live in a middle climate. A cranberry grows almost on snow. Some plants survive only near to lakes or rivers, others on special kinds of the ground...

Application of fruits and vegetables too should be expanded. For example, it is possible to tame some animals by fruits, to eat fruits or squeeze out juice for preparation of potions. (And the rotten tomato is especially effective against quickling-bard. :D) In ideal, the elementary agriculture should be even in villages with NPC-farmers...

Nezur
03-23-2008, 09:34 PM
-- it is possible to tame some animals by fruits. --

Like giving a banana to a monkey? :D Sounds fun.

rmcin329
03-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Like giving a banana to a monkey? :D Sounds fun.

yeah except i dont recall ever having met any monkeys yet. This seems like an okay idea, but overall i'd rather see other things worked on. I mean who really cares about being able to tame stuff? Most creatures are so weak that they'll just die in combat shortly after being tamed, unless you took a lot of time to be real careful with them, even then they wouldn't turn out spectacular. Theres a few exceptions to this of course, but not all that many.

Nezur
03-23-2008, 09:45 PM
yeah except i dont recall ever having met any monkeys yet. --

JADE will be so huge that there will probably be monkeys in it as well. It would be great if one jumped down from a tree in a jungle to fight against the PC. ;)

Plausible
03-23-2008, 10:31 PM
A tamed monkey could play the barrel organ and dance, for bards. For thieves, they could pilfer things. For everybody else a tamed monkey is just a cool mascot. Just a 'flavour element'; but some like their roguelikes flavoursome.

And for the same reason, aye to more interesting gardening, more fruit and vegetables, more types of meat and cheese and sweets and booze...

"You pick up the Battle Bunnie with Asparagus Dish. 'Our local specialty,' approves the barmaid."

is more alive than

"You pick up the large ration."

bjarketp
03-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Erm, this is a roguelike. So I feel that each skill should be useful for some sort of dungeon crawling.

Being a carrot-farmer doesn't seem useful unless the carrots train Pe. The point is, expanded gardening is all well and nice, but if it doesn't buff the character no-one will pick the skill.

So I'll just hope morgia makes it into JADE so I can cast really big fireballs.

Nezur
03-24-2008, 03:16 PM
-- The point is, expanded gardening is all well and nice, but if it doesn't buff the character no-one will pick the skill. --

True. Some fruits and vegetables could be magical, poisonous (the poison could be extracted to apply it to a weapon) or otherwise malicious. Eating a certain fruit for long enough time could eventually lead to a stat increase. Some of them could be used for alchemy. The carrots, pumpkins etc. could be sold to a local grocer for a profit. There could also be veggies that have a high satiation level vs. weight ratio thus making them a desirable fodder for a traveling adventurer. There are a lot of possible applications (quests, taming, secret tricks ;) )

Also: if everyday greens are grown on a magically enchanted soil the outcome would be a lot different. :)

IMHO an idea worth consideration. Even for a flavour thingy. It would nice to eat other fruits and vegetables too than always those seeds and apples. I do however think that this improvement shouldn't be overdone.

yisk
03-24-2008, 04:39 PM
...and there should be a vegetarian bonus! I dont eat any meat and i hope that mу hero will be vegetables consumer too. =)

yisk
03-24-2008, 04:48 PM
a bear can be tamed by a branch of a rasberry...

Dougy
03-25-2008, 12:31 AM
From here (http://www.adom.de/jade/index.php3):

Complete freedom in what you want to do (e.g. explore dungeons, work as a caravan guardian, build your own castle, conquer cities, lead a life as a simple farmer, become a shopkeeper or whatever).

Well, unlike ADOM, it seems (and I hope) in JADE it will be possible to do other things then just hacking and slashing monsters.

Epythic
03-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Monkeys... nice idea

Monkeys should be able to read, write and execute the Ook programming language (http://esoteric.voxelperfect.net/wiki/Ook) (which was designed for monkeys).

Actually, its not even hard to program, and since its Turing-complete, you can do *everything* with it. Even write a program that emulates JADE :)