PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

Cosmitz
11-23-2011, 05:48 PM
While i have never been a very intense ADOM player, i could say i knew my way around, and generally, when i died, i knew why or how, and what my options were.

Can't seem to find the same reasoning to JADE. The only character i can play that does not die within the first three levels of a dungeon is a troll, and i get a distinct feeling that it's overpowered and thus i'm cheesing my way through the dungeon's initial levels. I can't seem to find any other way to play the game other than a high-hp, large-damage warrior. >.>
Also, i am not seeing any magic-classes?

Batman?
11-23-2011, 07:55 PM
yeah I feel the same way. that troll fighters are the only class I can get anywhere with right now. Balance issues are to be expected this early in the dev though.

MITZE
11-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Thirding that playing a Troll seems like the only way to survive a decent amount of time consistently. I can only survive as other races if I find an early source of invisibility.

CloudKing
11-24-2011, 05:04 AM
maybe once things like ranged combat and spells etc. get implemented, it will balance the other races out a bit?

CloudKing
11-24-2011, 05:10 AM
@ cosmitz,
the reason for your "not seeing" any magic using classes, is because JADE as it stands is not a complete game. Magic will be added later.

Al-Khwarizmi
11-25-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm sure that things like missiles, coward tactics, scrolls of teleport, wands with bolts/missiles/paralysis, etc. will balance things out. Non-trolls need means of evasion to get the hell away from hobgoblin chieftains with great swords. I think if we played ADOM with a melee class without using any of those things, we would find the same problems.

Laukku
11-26-2011, 09:21 AM
The main death reason seems to be humanoids with "great" weapons, as already discussed in an earlier thread. I think it'd be better if such weapons only show up on deeper levels. Ogres for example would use "large wooden clubs" instead of "large great wooden clubs". It would also prevent the player getting such an overpowered weapon early on by scumming ogres or other "great" weapon wielders.