PDA

View Full Version : Clumsy, Sickly & Ugly in the wilderness

electric_wizard
11-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Has anyone else found that extended periods of outdoor exploration leads to horrendous abuse of your toughness, dexterity and appearance?

The first time this happened I was wearing a cursed chaos mutant skin cap & the second time I was wearing a demon skin armour so I assumed this was to temporarily represent corruption until proper effects could be implemented.

Most recently however, I wasn't equipping anything untoward and by level 10 I was bleeding stats every few steps while in the wilderness. Upon death I found that I had several demon skin items in my backpack - are these responsible even when unequipped? Is this supposed to represent some other aspect of the wilderness? Is it just a bug?

Efed
12-01-2011, 02:06 AM
I do remember stat loss was supposed to be in effect for starvation (as of 2.1 IIRC) and was mainly supposed to affect overland movement. Were you hungry?

Mngwa
12-01-2011, 07:46 AM
I do remember stat loss was supposed to be in effect for starvation (as of 2.1 IIRC) and was mainly supposed to affect overland movement. Were you hungry?

I suffered heavy stat loss in wilderness too, and I was overfed whole time! So it is probably not connected to starvation only.

electric_wizard
12-01-2011, 09:27 AM
As with Mngwa, I was always in some way overfed (sated, bloated or overfed).

I'd got my survival skill up to about +20 so I could go a long way between feeds.

MITZE
12-01-2011, 09:57 PM
I have noticed some occasional minor stat loss...nothing like what electric_wizard was desribing, though. Most recently, it was a point of Dx and Ap each.

If I remember correctly, right before that I had eaten a 'lump of hurthling weed' for the first time in the current version. I thought it an odd coincidence, so maybe that is a possible cause? Failing that, maybe the cause is something that is (currently) invisible to us, the players--like PC age. Was everyone who suffered stat loss playing Trolls?

CloudKing
12-02-2011, 11:22 AM
just rolled a mountan dwarf fighter (male), and stood on a forest square for about 10,000 turns.=no stat loss. I then found a patch of hills and walked from one end to the other for about 2,000 turns.=no stat loss.was satiated the entire time.

I think 30 turns is somewhere around 25 days.

Al-Khwarizmi
12-02-2011, 03:17 PM
I have also noticed the effect. Once I lost like 5 or 6 Dx with a troll. I was definitely not starving (I always avoid that status), but maybe I was hungry or bloated, I don't know.

Anyway, it does seem very overkill when one is not starving and doesn't do anything that could be considered unreasonable... I don't know if it's a bug or a feature, but if it's a feature it probably needs some tweaking.

Moeba
12-13-2011, 02:53 PM
I got this as well, when walking through the wilderness eating raw meats. I also thought my cursed armor was sickening me or something, or that eating raw meat isn't good. Due to one blessed raw meat I got from very hungry to overfed for quite a long time, but the stat drains were mainly later when I was either bloated, satiated or hungry. I did manage to find another town though, which was why I went into the wilderness at all. I also got 'you feel weak!' once, but that might have been random or an over-time effect from one of those overpowered icy touches.

Al-Khwarizmi
03-24-2012, 09:53 PM
This is definitely unbalanced. I just had a very good char die in v 0.2.3 when his muscles dissolved in the wilderness. He was a monk who made the mistake of eating raw meat which made him Overfed, and levelling up so that the class power (only 20 percent nutrition needed) kicked in. So he walked a lot overfed in the wilderness (what could he do) and he started to lose Dx, To and Ap very very quickly, until his muscles dissolved.

I understand that being overfed is not good but I think the effect should be toned down a bit, so that we don't lose chars to an overdose of meat!