PDA

View Full Version : JADE on linux?

siling
12-04-2011, 11:30 AM
I've been trying to get JADE running on a linux system (debian 'sid', 64bit) and its just failing.

I've got the jade.jnlp file, I get past the 'warning- security' stage (and why thats not fixed, I have no idea, but uncool), but when I get to the 'premission to create a desktop launcher' stage it fails (Fatal:launch Error: Could not launch JNLP file').

Seems to be the same problem that someone reported here-

http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=641

I was hoping that since I had Openjdk-7-jre installed, it would work. (BTW, its not caused by /.jade/log/jade.log, at least in my case)

*edit- if I use the java test page-

http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

I get 'your java is working'.

Aielyn
12-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Sadly, OpenJDK is not quite finished. You need to use Sun Java at this point in order to get Jade running - this is a flaw in OpenJDK, not in Jade.

I don't know if Sun Java is available for debian. I know that it used to be available directly for Ubuntu, until 11.10, when Canonical made the boneheaded decision to remove it from its repositories (now you have to add a PPA repository to get it).

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, I had the same problem on Ubuntu 11.10 - Jade wouldn't run. I had to install Sun Java to get it working.

siling
12-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Sadly, OpenJDK is not quite finished. You need to use Sun Java at this point in order to get Jade running - this is a flaw in OpenJDK, not in Jade.

Really? Any evidence that this is a openJDK flaw, not a bug/miscoding in JADE?

I heard that openJDK/iced tea passed the Java Test Compatibility Kit years ago, so it should work.

If your right, then JADE is going to have problems in the future- the offical RIs (reference implementations) will be based on openJDK

http://jdk7.java.net/java-se-7-ri/

I don't know if Sun Java is available for debian. I know that it used to be available directly for Ubuntu, until 11.10, when Canonical made the boneheaded decision to remove it from its repositories (now you have to add a PPA repository to get it).

Its do-able to get Java going on debian, but there is no way I'm going to. Too much work, possible security problems, and it could play havok with the few programs that I have already installed using java.

Canonical would have removed Sun Java for several reasons- political, philosophical and practical.

Politically, sun/orcale is almost persona non grata in the open soruce world. Canoncial would rather have open soruce openJDK rather than the sun/oracle binaries (even though canoncial has more than its share of 'open core' projects). Practical, canonical would rather use packages the debian users have already tested, rather than testing Sun Java. Canonical has lost a lot of testers over the last year to year and a half, and is spending most fo the testing time trying to make the stupidly that is known as 'unity' a bit better (but not to 'fix' it, no, canonical knows bettter than you the user what is needed). So simplifying the testing process is very attractive to canonical now.

Al-Khwarizmi
12-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Really? Any evidence that this is a openJDK flaw, not a bug/miscoding in JADE?

I heard that openJDK/iced tea passed the Java Test Compatibility Kit years ago, so it should work.

If your right, then JADE is going to have problems in the future- the offical RIs (reference implementations) will be based on openJDK

http://jdk7.java.net/java-se-7-ri/
Is my experience as a Java developer evidence enough? OpenJDK 6 is currently broken. I have personally had to fight with that in several java projects (some of them free software, some not). It's fine for anything that doesn't use a lot of windowing and especially multimedia. But when you get into those camps, there are always methods and classes that don't behave exactly like the standard. Sound is especially broken, MIDI is all but unusable. I have never used JWS which is what's giving problems with JADE, but I guess it's the same there, from what Thomas says. I suppose the TCK doesn't test that part of the API much, they probably focus on enterprise software which doesn't use audio or JWS.

With OpenJDK 7 there should be no problem, because it will be a merge of both projects (openJDK and the so-called Sun java). Remember that all the current versions of OpenJDK 6 are BETAS. The only stable version right now is sun-java. With OpenJDK 7, we will see stable releases and I hope problems will go away, but at the moment the fact is that OpenJDK is labelled as unstable, and justly so.

Its do-able to get Java going on debian, but there is no way I'm going to. Too much work, possible security problems, and it could play havok with the few programs that I have already installed using java.

Canonical would have removed Sun Java for several reasons- political, philosophical and practical.

Politically, sun/orcale is almost persona non grata in the open soruce world. Canoncial would rather have open soruce openJDK rather than the sun/oracle binaries (even though canoncial has more than its share of 'open core' projects). Practical, canonical would rather use packages the debian users have already tested, rather than testing Sun Java. Canonical has lost a lot of testers over the last year to year and a half, and is spending most fo the testing time trying to make the stupidly that is known as 'unity' a bit better (but not to 'fix' it, no, canonical knows bettter than you the user what is needed). So simplifying the testing process is very attractive to canonical now.
Canonical has been very, very irresponsible with Java developers during all its history. Well before openjdk existed, Ubuntu shipped with a so-called "java implementation" called gij which was absolutely useless to run any java program more complex than Hello World... it didn't even have AWT or Swing, it couldn't open windows at all! They did so because it was the only free software attempt at a Java implementation back then, and I don't object to that if they have that philosophy, but then they shouldn't have called the binary "java". I have lost lots of hours of my life answering to bug reports and complaints from Ubuntu users saying that their programs didn't work, because they executed "java Whatever" and that pale mockery of Java came up with an exception. Some of them even installed the real Java and, after an Ubuntu update, it would be replaced with that broken thing again. Since then, I hate Canonical, because they have made me lost lots of my time. After that, they shipped distributions with a misconfigured pulseaudio that broke even with Sun's Java (during several versions, no program could play sounds in Java under Ubuntu without tweaking pulseaudio), and then they switched to OpenJDK when it was an alpha. Now, to add insult to injury, they have removed Sun's java from their repositories so the only option to get Java under Ubuntu without using custom repositories is using an unstable version.

Yes, I know that Oracle is evil, and that Ubuntu is for free software, and so on. But in their fight against Oracle, it is us java developers who suffer the most. It is us who have to deal with loads of absurd bug reports just because Ubuntu always ships with misconfigured alphas. I personally am so fed up that I have added texts to some of my free software projects saying that I'll be glad to answer questions and requests of users on Windows, Mac OS, and all linux distributions except for Ubuntu, and I recommend Ubuntu users to get another distribution if they want support. I support free software, but that doesn't mean I'll put up with all the crap that Canonical throws at me just for the sin of being a Java developer. I'm glad that Unity is finally making lots of people realise how bad Ubuntu is, and hope that more responsible distributions get its users.

Sorry if my post sounds as a troll, but if you had lost dozens, maybe hundreds of hours of your life suffering Ubuntu's capricious decisions, you would understand...