PDA

View Full Version : My poor Paladin :(

Conundrum
05-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Stupid stupid stupid stupid.

Dwarf Paladin, reached level 15. Crowned very early with Trusted One and acid immunity. Pickpocketed Preserver. Got assigned doppleganger lord by Thrundarr. Tried my luck in Dwarven Halls - generated a Doppleganger KING, and only just managed to escape. Decided to go to ToTHK to try for the Lord and get the Platinum Ring. Waldy's shop had a Ring of the Clear Mind, so confusion isn't a problem. Wand of Cold (2 charges) + 2 blessed potions of booze = plenty of charges to cross the lake.

Reach the lake. Equip ring. Zap wand. Step onto ice. DIDN'T DROP ITEMS. Ice breaks. Paladin dies.

Sadface
05-15-2009, 01:43 PM
That's happened to me before, as well as being confused (with confusion resistance) off of an iceball platform into the piranhas. ((big thanks to grey for reminding me about how 'e'asy it is to stand in place with confusion!))

Lately I've done my ToEF item dropping in two sections: pre-tomb, and post-tomb. I drop all extra equipment in the barbarian's glade (or mystic's room) to get under 2000 stones, do tomb, then drop any other extra unnecessary items (loot from the tomb sans-RotHK, scrolls of darkness, crystals of fire, gold) before heading to the tower. It's completely unnecessary to drop all extra gear pre-tomb, but it's a precaution I take anyway because I tend to forget some rather important things when I am on a roll.

Harwin
05-15-2009, 04:48 PM
That's happened to me before, as well as being confused (with confusion resistance) off of an iceball platform into the piranhas. ((big thanks to grey for reminding me about how 'e'asy it is to stand in place with confusion!))

Lately I've done my ToEF item dropping in two sections: pre-tomb, and post-tomb. I drop all extra equipment in the barbarian's glade (or mystic's room) to get under 2000 stones, do tomb, then drop any other extra unnecessary items (loot from the tomb sans-RotHK, scrolls of darkness, crystals of fire, gold) before heading to the tower. It's completely unnecessary to drop all extra gear pre-tomb, but it's a precaution I take anyway because I tend to forget some rather important things when I am on a roll.

Why the mystic's room?
I always use the entrance stairs to the CoC. I drop it on the stairs, then leave. Mystic's is a long way to go if you discover you need something else.

Sadface
05-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Mystic's room is my general dropping area - admittedly, my tactics are slow-going (my only two wins are between 150,000 and 160,000 turns :D), and I prefer safety over speed. I know nothing will grab the stuff in the mystic's room; and generally the barbarian never moves far enough to move close to the entrance spot in his glade when I choose to use it. I'm unusually paranoid about my stuff being picked up by random wandering NPCs, even if they are hostile.

Harwin
05-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Mystic's room is my general dropping area - admittedly, my tactics are slow-going (my only two wins are between 150,000 and 160,000 turns :D), and I prefer safety over speed. I know nothing will grab the stuff in the mystic's room; and generally the barbarian never moves far enough to move close to the entrance spot in his glade when I choose to use it. I'm unusually paranoid about my stuff being picked up by random wandering NPCs, even if they are hostile.

For some reason I thought the dwarftown stairs were safe, that dwarves wouldn't step on them. I was standing kind of near them one time though and I had a bunch of stuff on them, and a dwarf picked them up.

I teleported over there, walked up the stairs so he followed me, and murdered him mercilessly for touching my things.

Nehor
05-16-2009, 12:34 AM
My stash is always in the Ogre Village. After I clear it out, I clean up the trash and use separate rooms for separate things: junk, things to sell, full back-up gear in case god gets angry (including blessed scroll of uncursing, holy water and a holy symbol!), a very valuables room, e.g. SoCC, etc. Also there is a different pile for each type of item: we have a gold stash, a helmet pile, an armor heap...

Usually I try to decorate too: place a broken arrow on the stairs (usually have to milk an arrow trap) and an imposing statue in the first doorway. I LIKE my Ogre Village kingdom!

Other than that, I usually have another stash or two around the place just in case with: food, money and some other basic necessities.

Sadface
05-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Plant some herbs, dig some walls and make pictures with the rocks and ore...

If only there were permanent plants in the game, you could spice the place up pretty nicely :)