PDA

View Full Version : Identifying in 0.2.3

Elone
03-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Now that we got a new version and a set of scrolls, I have started to wonder how to deal with cursed items. The Detect item Status is not implemented yet, I can tell because I put (literally) a thousand of points into it and none of my items were identified as they would in the previous game.

I am only asking because equipping new items is a big risk as there's no chanse to get rid of it!! The water is too rare at this point so I cannot rely on that. Yes I know that altars identify items, but I cannot consistently find them either!

Any help is appreciated, I cannot progress because I get locked into cursed equipment. What do you do when this happens, and there's just no water potions on you?

Al-Khwarizmi
03-26-2012, 02:11 PM
I think bad scrolls (amnesia, etc.) are not very common. So if you find two scrolls of the same type, read one, it is likely to be a scroll of ID. Use it to identify scrolls and you have a good chance of seeing scrolls of uncursing too (they are also quite common).

While you don't have a means of ID, you can mostly risk equipping items, except for ragged cloaks (which are bad) and gauntlets (you can stumble into gauntlets of peace).

Elone
03-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Quite common...?

JellySlayer
03-26-2012, 03:40 PM
I think bad scrolls (amnesia, etc.) are not very common. So if you find two scrolls of the same type, read one, it is likely to be a scroll of ID. Use it to identify scrolls and you have a good chance of seeing scrolls of uncursing too (they are also quite common).

Doesn't help characters who are illiterate.

@Elone: selling an item at a store will ID it (although not reveal bless/curse status). You'll have to pay a premium to buy it back, but the scaling on item prices doesn't seem too bad in this game--you can normally buy stuff back for maybe 2x what you sold it for, and a [-1,+3] studded leather armor doesn't cost much more than a [-1,+6]. Since there aren't that many other uses for gold, and there are lots and lots of junk items, this seems like a decent solution for the moment. [edit]Unfortunately, blessed/cursed items do not seem to cost more/less than uncursed varieties with the same stats, so you can't use this AFAIK.

Al-Khwarizmi
03-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Currently any character can be literate by spending points in the Literacy skill. I think getting it to +1 is enough. It's one of the first things I do because scrolls are quite useful.

Elone
03-26-2012, 04:25 PM
How do you even survive that long -_-

By the way I saved up for a mining pick! I found a bunch of rocks. However O need STONE BLOCKS for construction, and I have noticed that tinker starts out with some, but can I create them somehow? Smooth up my rocks? Also, I took a fighter char, then 3 levels later I multiclassed into tinker, and I was told that I now can steal even equipped items. What am I missing?

JellySlayer
03-26-2012, 04:44 PM
How do you even survive that long -_-

Play an orc barbarian. You can pretty much handle everything in the early game until you start running into stat-destroying Wights and Shadows.

and I was told that I now can steal even equipped items. What am I missing?

This might be a bug.

Elone
03-26-2012, 05:18 PM
I like the idea of being able to steal anything from anyone =) Something that I'd like to see on a high level thief! I played a fighter for a while and it worked, because his PV was quite sufficient for how long the character lasted. Then it crashed after I descended the stairs. People have mentioned that bug earlier as well.

JellySlayer
03-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Another way to identify gear easily:

Find yourself a chaos brother/sister or any other disarming monster. Equip every weapon and armor you have in your hands. If anything is cursed, they will eventually disarm you. This includes items like armors, helmets, shields, etc. Having these items in your hands is sufficient to ID their stats. So from any disarming monster, you can ID all of your weapons and armor.