PDA

View Full Version : Victory?

Al-Khwarizmi
04-01-2012, 02:39 PM
I suppose no one has won v 0.2.3 yet, since I've seen no YAVPs, or rather VPs (the only victory post I saw was for 0.2.0).

How far is people from winning? At the moment the best I have done is getting two shards. I did that on three games: in one I died to two troll brutes doing a mighty blow in the third shard dungeon, in another I died to an ogre lord in the third shard dungeon, and in the other I died to stat drains in the wilderness after seeing that the other shard dungeons were unreachable, so I don't think I had any chance to win.

grobblewobble
04-01-2012, 03:45 PM
I've gotten one shard in three games. In the latest of these I died in a dungeon containing the second (mighty blow from a giant, ran away and got stuck between him and a troll brute). The screenshot with the eternium large great sword was from that game.. and I was still fighting with my bare hands without having tried it. :(

The only shard I haven't seen yet is water.

There is also one game where I found a ring of minor regeneration. That was my toughest character. He died to an infinite loop.

I am now starting all of my games now with robbing the ring shop in Terinyo (or die trying). Rings of speed are great. If I'm not mistaken a ring of speed is +5 speed cursed, +10 speed uncursed and +20 speed blessed. (That's for the first ring, if you're wearing two of them the bonus of the second one seems to be halved.)

Dervi
04-01-2012, 07:39 PM
For me, 0.2.3 is unwinnable for two reasons:
- unreachable dungeons
- unbalanced critical hits from large monsters
I'm still waiting for someone to prove me wrong... but this will gonna require a LOT of luck.

Orion
04-01-2012, 08:55 PM
I do not even manage that far. I got this entering dungeon bug around lvl 10. My best char was lvl 21 drakeling monk, before this bug catch me up.
Really annoying bug.

grobblewobble
04-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Damn.. I came so close. Died with all 4 shards on D:42 to a fire giantish ghul.

Al-Khwarizmi
04-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Wow. I had all but resigned due to unreachable dungeons. It's nice to know that sometimes it's possible to get all the shards. I'll keep trying to win then.

ScrollOfCureBlindness
04-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Yup, it's completely random. You might have a chance if crashes, bugs and unfair odds for your R/C combo don't stop you regardless.

Dervi
04-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Had a nice char going... and the game hanged when entering a dungeon. I guess I'll wait for 0.2.4 to try again.

grobblewobble
04-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Holy shit.. got all four shards and got a deadly quarterstaff from a shop in Terinyo (+1 times damage on criticals). The best weapon against fire giants that I could think of.. starting my chaos dive now, praying that the game doesn't infinite loop on me.. will edit this post later.

edit: FFFFFF.... infinite loop when descending to D:8. :(

Al-Khwarizmi
04-06-2012, 03:06 PM
I don't know what you do to get the four shards... in my games I always seem to have 1 or 2 unreachable shard dungeons. I can now consistently make it to the midgame (ogre lords, etc.) without dying, but I'm losing all my games either to the infinite loop, or to quitting due to unreachable dungeons...

grobblewobble
04-06-2012, 03:08 PM
If there is a trick, it is not to give up too early. Sometimes (this last game, too) the final dungeon you need is somewhat further removed from the chain. This was the third game I had all four, I think the odds (not including loops) for reachable dungeons are about 1 in 4 or maybe even better, based on my games so far.

grobblewobble
04-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Here is an example of the sort of unlikely places where you might find elemental dungeons sometimes. I am standing on a dungeon containing an elemental shard. According to the wizened old man this dungeon should have been located "to the northeast", but it was in fact straight north of the CoC. (This is a bug that has already been reported, I believe.)

Another thing that helps me get shards is to multiclass. If I play a pure class, I am fighting troll brutes, wights and wraiths when I'm in the second elemental temple or so. This makes progress through the dungeon much more slow and cumbersome. With a multiclass character, I am still bashing through bats and orcs at that time. This helps a lot to find out more quickly if the quest is hopeless, so I can restart faster.

JellySlayer
04-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Wait.... the level scaling only looks at your highest character level? Or your primary class level? And not your total number of levels?

Or is just that you are getting so much less xps?

grobblewobble
04-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Because of the experience penalty you need to gain more experience before you gain a level.

By the way, in the game from the screenshot above I now again have all four.. down to CoC 34 now.. the scariest thing that happened was meeting a fire giantish wraith. It drained 1 to before I saw what it was and bravely ran away.