PDA

View Full Version : New to ADOM, which one do I play? (ADOMv1.1.0 or JADEv0.2.3_ADOM II)

Anarki_Hunter
04-24-2012, 05:54 AM
Hi,

I am new to ADOM and I see there are two games to download and play, ADOMv1.1.0 and JADEv0.2.3_ADOM II. Which one do I play?.

Does ADOM II have all the implementations of ADOMv1.1.0 (ignoring the user manual), because there are
.Currently less classes available after selecting a race
.No Questionnaire for skillset

ADOM II has nice UI set and very very appealing, so please advise.

Thanks,

JellySlayer
04-24-2012, 06:16 AM
ADOM 1.1.1 (http://www.adom.de/adom/download.php3) is the most recent version of the original ADOM. It is a complete game, and is quite fun to play.

ADOM II v0.2.3 is still in the fairly early stages of development. Many features have not yet been implemented, and there are still some fairly major bugs and balance issues that are being worked out. It is playable, but it is definitely much less refined at this point.

Unless you have particular interests in helping with the development process for ADOM II, I would suggest ADOM 1.1.1 is probably what you're looking for at this exact point in time. Keep an eye on ADOM II though... the development process is moving at a pretty decent clip.

Anarki_Hunter
04-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks, I am going to try ADOM I.

Dervi
04-28-2012, 11:43 AM
In fact, if you want the most fun of ADOM, I'll encourage to download ADOM 1.0.0 instead of 1.1.1 (get it at http://www.adom.de/adom/archive.php3). ADOM 1.1.1 has some features (and bugs) that a newcomer would find hard to cope with. ADOM 1.0.0 has been largely playtested and is probably the most balanced version of them all.

Silfir
04-28-2012, 12:13 PM
I can't find myself agreeing with that. I remember playing ADOM 1.0.0 faintly, and I don't remember it being any different, certainly not easier. It doesn't have talents or the Bug Temple, but that doesn't affect difficulty any. What are the aspects that make it more "balanced"?

gut
04-28-2012, 09:02 PM
1.0.0 has bug temple, and the bugs don't see invis or in dark. Only 3 deaths needed to access, iirc.

There are no uber jackals or any other ubers for that matter.

Many monsters were less dangerous as well. I remember meleeing the cat lord to death with a standard wizard.

Allowed TP in temples? Am I right on that one? I think I am...

Drop duplication bug was much easier ;)

Casting from HP's trained mana.

Can't remember more right now.

Silfir
04-28-2012, 10:39 PM
I haven't played ADOM 1.0.0 nearly enough to know anything about it. That much is clear.

I guess it won't hurt to try. ADOM 1.1.1 seems perfectly well balanced to me, though.

anon123
04-29-2012, 01:32 AM
A list of changes in every version can be found here (http://www.adom.de/adom/history.php3). It's a nice read, specially if you start from the bottom, and see how ADOM slowly progresses to become the full-fledged game we know now.

I could never play an old version, because I'd miss on the good changes as well. I did try 0.9.9g15 and g16pr2 when I found WADOMF, though :)