PDA

View Full Version : TB will release the source for... $1.8million!

Grey
06-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Sorry, couldn't help but post about it here. If anyone has a spare $1.8m then this might be the time to make a wise investment :)

quik
06-29-2012, 12:18 PM
$1.8 million? He definitely lives in a different planet.

Grey
06-29-2012, 01:23 PM
He's not formally said $1.8m, but has indicated that it would be in that region. Will find out on July 2nd I guess...

stabwound
06-29-2012, 10:28 PM
With this upcoming crowd-funding campaign and the $1.8 million source, it's safe to say that the source is never going to be released ever. Obviously disappointing, but it's totally Biskup's right.

gut
06-30-2012, 09:03 AM
i will only do more pictures for the 'dwarf merchant paint picture' thread if you
all agree to pay me... 1 billion dollars

Al-Khwarizmi
06-30-2012, 09:56 AM
With this upcoming crowd-funding campaign and the $1.8 million source, it's safe to say that the source is never going to be released ever. Obviously disappointing, but it's totally Biskup's right.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. If he doesn't manage to make the base $60K, he will not release the source. If he does manage to make $60K, he will continue development, more people will play, he will get more enthusiastic about it, and then who knows, we might see the source one day.

I do hope he makes the $60K - I'd love to see ADOM development active again, source or no source.

Edit: the base goal is now $48K instead of $60K, according to the last blog post.

anon123
06-30-2012, 07:05 PM
I do hope he makes the $60K - I'd love to see ADOM development active again, source or no source.

Absolutely 100-percent agreed. I personally don't care about source code availability as much as I do about seeing a new version after so many years. Even a "simple" bugfix release (and let's hope it gets farther than that) would be amazing.

Dervi
06-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Ok let's face it... How many people are playing ADOM this days? And how many are willing to pay a hundred bucks to have bugfixes and a few extra features? The response is easy: the core fans. Now check another game that has a similar fanbase, with free donations: ToME4. The current home webpage states the following: "Thanks to generous players, ToME has collected 1685.12€ of donations in the last three months." And I'm pretty sure the ToME4 fanbase is bigger than ADOM's fanbase this days. How long will it take to reach $48k with ADOM donations? I'd say years...

Now that I've read the comments on the main site, I'm pretty sure all this will piss off many of the old fans. Basically: "Pay and you'll get ADOM 1.2, don't pay then go .... yourself". This has made me very sad... I've been playing ADOM since 1996, that's over 15 years. I've enjoyed every version, from the early days with no wilderness to the tough 0.9.9 gammas, the extensively playtested 1.0.0 and even 1.1.1 with the self berferking sillyness and uberjackals. All because it was fun...

I'd love to see ADOM development resume in the near future. But ADOM-the postcardware game and ADOM-the deluxe edition should stay two separate entities...

Grey
06-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Well, I'm personally happy to donate towards a game I've spent far more time on than all commercial games combined. I'm not sure how successful the campaign will be, but I'm willing to chip in with the hope of success. And if it fails... well, we still have ADOM 1.1.1 to enjoy :)

Al-Khwarizmi
06-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Now check another game that has a similar fanbase, with free donations: ToME4. The current home webpage states the following: "Thanks to generous players, ToME has collected 1685.12€ of donations in the last three months." And I'm pretty sure the ToME4 fanbase is bigger than ADOM's fanbase this days. How long will it take to reach $48k with ADOM donations? I'd say years...
It's not the same thing, because crowdfunding campaigns encourage donors. ADOM also has donations, and I haven't donated anything for ADOM in the last three months, but I will surely donate for this campaign. Some people will probably never have donated in ten years and will do so for the campaign.

With this I'm not saying that the crowdfunding is going to succeed. To tell the truth, I don't have the faintest idea about that. I'm just saying that the donation amounts for ToME don't tell us much.

Dervi
07-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Crowdfunding started today... and I'm impressed. Already more than $2000 collected in less than a day. At this rate, the campaign will be succesful.

By the way: pledge $50k (the "demigod" reward), and you'll get your own copy of the ADOM source code!!! Mike, it's the opportunity of your lifetime ;)

anon123
07-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Crowdfunding started today... and I'm impressed. Already more than $2000 collected in less than a day.

$2697 have been donated as I type. I've just finished spreading the word on a few forums I'm a member of. I really have high hopes for this.

Laukku
07-02-2012, 09:01 PM
New stable releases for all supported platforms (Windows, Linux, MacOS, Amiga, NetBSD, FreeBSD; Android and iPad/iOS are going to be stretch goals). Operating systems have evolved since 2002 and compatibility is becoming a serious issue.

Wait, no DOS version? :-( Playing it in a custom DOSBox build with a CRT pixel shader (http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?p=240720#240720) is extremely nostalgic.

I don't really care for the some of the promised features, such as audio and graphics. Part of the charm of ADOM is how minimal it is, the only sound is an occasional PC speaker beep. I would really like a DOS version with just the game balance and bug fixes, as an option. :-)

anon123
07-02-2012, 09:56 PM
I don't really care for the some of the promised features, such as audio and graphics. Part of the charm of ADOM is how minimal it is, the only sound is an occasional PC speaker beep.

I doubt any of us long-time players will want to use those features, since we're too used to the game as it's been for years. As I see it, they might make the game more attractive to the newbie, who after some time of playing could switch to the "real" soundless ASCII display by himself.

adom-admin
07-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Wait, no DOS version? :-( Playing it in a custom DOSBox build with a CRT pixel shader (http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?p=240720#240720) is extremely nostalgic.

I don't really care for the some of the promised features, such as audio and graphics. Part of the charm of ADOM is how minimal it is, the only sound is an occasional PC speaker beep. I would really like a DOS version with just the game balance and bug fixes, as an option. :-)

Oops, totally missed that for some reason. I'll talk to Jochen if he sees any problem with that :-)

Sorry for the oversight and thanks for mentioning it.

Laukku
07-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Oops, totally missed that for some reason. I'll talk to Jochen if he sees any problem with that :-)

Awesome, thanks!

jt
07-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Yes, I didn't forget about the DOS version. Since Thomas always did the DOS versions back then, I just need to ask him about the compiler he used. I think it was something like DJGPP?! :)

jt
07-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Had some problems using DJGPP with Dosbox (on Mac). Will try again today with my XP vm. But I managed to compile ADOM on the Raspberry Pi, it's working great. :)

Grey
07-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Ah, cool! You should show a video of that for the IndieGoGo campaign.

hemuz
10-10-2012, 09:32 AM
about that 1.8 million... is it USD or EUR in that kinda money it will make a big differences :D but yeah... thats huge amount of money...'

but thers one thing i must say ADoM is only game i would hapily pay like 20-40 Euros because its sow awsome game and i have played from -98 since i got my first computer :D and i still play it every day. I even bought a Raspberry pi that when I m not home i can play ADoM where ever i find a TV like in hotel or backseat of truck :D

Kyreles
10-10-2012, 02:15 PM
That's how I donated to the fundraiser. My reasoning is that I would also pay €30 for the game. I ended up paying into the fundraiser as if I had re-bought the game each year I've been playing.

Midnight_Carnival
06-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Will send a postcard with 1.8m Zimbabwe $ stapled to it:p

-but seriously, in order to do anything with the source you would have to be pretty good at programming yourself

anon123
06-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Will send a postcard with 1.8m Zimbabwe $ stapled to it:p

When TB granted me access to the closed prereleases, I sent him a postcard along 40 US dollars, both as a "thank you for ADOM" and to be fair to all the other people who actually donated for access. I wonder if/hope he received the money.

theseus12
06-15-2013, 08:16 PM
When TB granted me access to the closed prereleases, I sent him a postcard along 40 US dollars, both as a "thank you for ADOM" and to be fair to all the other people who actually donated for access. I wonder if/hope he received the money.

I sent mine ($60) via snail mail, waited a couple weeks (to allow for delivery time), then contacted him about it. turns out, it works, if you're polite about it, and follow the regulations on how to let him know you donated.

jt
06-16-2013, 02:19 PM
I wonder if/hope he received the money.
He has... I visited him on the day it arrived and he showed it to me. :)

anon123
06-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Awesome, thanks for letting me know :D