PDA

View Full Version : YAD: Schnoobler, the Gnomish Farmer.

Panda_Lord
05-19-2009, 10:00 PM
I have just suffered the most tragic death I have ever had in ADOM. I decided to take up a Gnomish Farmer, who was Raven-born and named Schnoobler. He had found a blink dog corpse quite early, thanks to Food Preservation, and, thus, had teleportation control. I decided that I wanted to teleport into the Dwarven Mystic's room in order to get his SoCRs. I went to the Very Dusty Dungeon Level, procured a wand of teleportation, and headed back to Dwarftown. I also got a couple of Displacer Beast corpses along the way. However, I did this all right before going to bed, so I was somewhat in a rush, and very tired. The very last thing I did before going to bed was zapping the wand of teleportation into the room, getting the scrolls, then saving and quitting.

When I went back to the game, I was quite surprised to find that my wand of teleportation was gone. In my quite tired stupor, I had not realized that I had wrenched a final charge from the wand on the first zap to get into the mystic's room, and thus destroyed it. I did not notice the "Wrench a final charge!" message, either. I desperately looked through my inventory for anything I could do to get me out of this place. My displacer beast corpses had rotted away.

I did, however, have two spellbooks. Since my character was a farmer with a low Literacy and Learning score, I had a very low chance of actually learning the spells from the books. This would work to my advantage. My character would have a very high chance of having bad things happen to him when he attempted to read the book, and among the bad things was, of course, teleportation! Ingenious, I thought! So, I read the books. I was blinded and confused multiple times, was sucked dry of power points, and lost a Toughness point. One of the spellbooks burst into flames when it was finished, destroying my hood. Fie!

At this point, I had three options: One, I could just commit suicide, either by quitting the game, executing myself with a wand of Far Slaying that was looking really friendly, or starve to death. Two, I could cheat, and use ADOMBot to add a wand of teleportation to my inventory, and teleport out, no questions asked. Three, since Dwaftown spawned on D:11, it had background corruption, so I could wait until I get corrputed with Teleportitis. I was heavily considering #1, but I am an honorable man, so #2 is a no-no, but, in the end, I chose #3.

And boy, did I wait a while. Having a serious crapload of food, and needing only half the amount that everyone else needs, I could stick it out for a long time. I first got into the room at about turn 24000, and I ended up dying at turn 128200. I got a total of 6 corruptions while waiting. I removed two with one of the SoCRs the mystic kindly gave me before leaving me to my doom. In total, the corruptions I got were as follows: Antennae, Thorns, Rage, (used a SoCR to get rid of Thorns and Rage), then I got Thorns again, Acid Breath, and Horns. When I got horns, I was about out of food. I was counting on it being teleportitis. I was dissappointed. Thus, instead of waiting until starvation hit me, I executed myself with that Far Slaying wand.

And to think that this all happened because I was tired and skimmed over a few lines of text.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screenshot
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

################################################## #####################
#................................................. ....................#
###########......................##########....... ......................###
#..#%....[#......................#........#..........####### ..............#
###..#......#..............#####...#........#..... .....#.....#..............###
#....#......#..............#..&#.../........#..........#...../................#
##....#......#..............#...#...#........#.... ......#..&..#................#
#.....#......#..............#...#...#........#.... ......#.....#................#
#.....##/#####..............###/#...##########..........#.....#................#
#................................................. ......#######................#
#...<.................................................. .....................>..#
#................................................. .............................#
#........###/###.......####........................######/##...................#
##.......#.....#.......#%.#<-that was.............#.......#...................#
#.......#.....#.......#.@#..stomaceptia........... #.......#...................#
###.....#.._..#.......####........................ #.......#.................###
#.....#.....#...................................#. ......#.................#
###...#######...................................## #######...............###
#................................................. ....................#
################################################## #####################
Schnoobler St:19 Le:12 Wi:15 Dx:10 To:21 Ch: 7 Ap: 1 Ma:17 Pe:14 N-
DV/PV: 35/14 H: -197(163) P: 0(57) Exp: 16/105553 D: 11 M: 128200
Burdened
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventory
Total weight: 7414 stones Carrying capacity: 8000 stones

Head : -
Neck : uncursed necklace of rapid healing [2s]
Body : uncursed elven chain mail of resilience [+0, +5] [10s]
Girdle : blessed girdle of carrying [+0, +0] [15s]
Cloak : uncursed cloak of defense [+3, +0] [20s]
Right Hand : uncursed orcish spear of hunting (+1, 1d8+2) [75s]
Left Hand : cursed medium crystal shield [+9, +4] [160s]
Right Ring : uncursed ring of luck [1s]
Left Ring : uncursed ring of luck [1s]
Bracers : -
Gauntlets : uncursed gloves [+3, +0] [6s]
Boots : uncursed mithril boots [-1, +2] [96s]
Missile weapon: uncursed short bow of accuracy (+6, +2) [20s]
Missiles : bundle of 3 uncursed arrows (+0, 1d6) [6s]
Tool : -

Stuff

Tools (']')

heap of 501 uncursed sis [5010s]
heap of 65 cursed sis [650s]
heap of 51 blessed sis [510s]

Spells

Frost Bolt: 17, 21pp (Effectivity: +0) // Hah, I actually learned a bit from one of them.

Effects of Corruption

Your antennae explore the details of your environment (Ap: -4).
You have grown thorns (3d3 melee damage, Dx: -2, Ap: -3).
You exhale sulphur (Ch: -4).
You have grown horns (+3 melee damage, Ap: -4).

His achievements during his adventures:

Schnoobler, the gnomish farmer, executed himself with an energy ray.
He scored 19754 points and advanced to level 16.
He survived for 0 years, 53 days, 2 hours, 49 minutes and 37 seconds (128200
turns).
3 companions were killed during his adventures.
Schnoobler visited 25 places.
His strength score was modified by +5 during his career.
His willpower score was modified by +3 during his career.
His toughness score was modified by +3 during his career.
His mana score was modified by +1 during his career.
He was a member of the thieves guild.
He ended his adventuring life on level 11 of the caverns of chaos.
782 monsters perished under his attacks.
The following two artifacts were generated during his adventure:
the si
the scythe of corruption "Moon Sickle"
He possessed the following intrinsics:
He was fire resistant.
He was poison resistant.
He was lucky (gained through items).
He was able to control teleportation.
He had the following talents: Affinity with Polemarms, Good Learner, Hardy,
Iron Skin, Long Stride, Quick, Tough Skin, Very Quick.
He had a final speed score of 110 (final base speed: 115).
He was not particularly religious.
He asked for 2 divine interventions.
He was neutrally aligned.
He was tainted by Chaos.

Harwin
05-19-2009, 10:53 PM
That sounds like a reasonably good plan for getting out of there, given the options. Sorry to hear it didn't work.

Thing
05-20-2009, 05:03 AM
I would not have the patience for such a death. Just thinking if you had not removed the corruptions with the SoCR you would have had a higher chance of getting the one you wanted rather than getting the ones you had already removed.

vogonpoet
05-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Were you carrying moonsickle and some potions at the time? Could have significantly sped things up...

meh
05-20-2009, 10:07 AM
IIRC, 11 is the level where you can create teleport traps in the room. I hope you didn't overlook that option.

_Ln_
05-20-2009, 03:35 PM
IIRC, 11 is the level where you can create teleport traps in the room. I hope you didn't overlook that option.

Yeah, sections of floor in the SW and NE corners are just for tele traps...

mike
05-20-2009, 09:40 PM
That really is too bad. Nice idea, though. It would've been ironic if one of those books had been teleport. =P

Panda_Lord
05-21-2009, 05:15 AM
After looking over the full FLG (I cut out most of the inventory except for the huge amount of Sis because of 10000 character limit), I did have both the Moon Sickle and a wand of trap creation in my inventory at the time. I can't believe I didn't think about trying to create a tele-trap. I feel so silly now.

But, that is the main reason why I posted this. There is always seems to be some solution to the problem that caused a potentially good character to become YASD. With emphasis on the S.