PDA

View Full Version : Lack of cursed items

Subconscious
05-26-2009, 06:20 PM
I stumbled upon this problem in some of my latest games. Especially at lategame.
Like you know some items, mainly potions and rings, have great effects when they are cursed. Even better than if they were blessed. Too bad the usual way of identifying items is via altars. And with good piety all unholy water are always transformed into holy water...

Baranor
05-26-2009, 06:25 PM
My usual way of identifying things is with Blessed Scrolls of Identify. If I want anything to stay cursed, I drop it before reading my Blessed Scrolls of Uncursing.

Necropassion
05-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Yes, it can be really annoying. My last game I had a nice heap of eight cursed potions of invisibility when I came down to D: 50 - naturally I forgot do trop them before reading a blessed scroll of uncursing, which also transformed my potions of unholy water into ordinary water. Needlessly to say I uttered obscenities...

Maul
05-26-2009, 07:03 PM
...Then you started wondering why you need any way to blind monsters by the time you get to D:50? (Or you could wish for a green hag :P)

Actually, I can't think of much else that's better cursed. Spider bread, rings of invisibility for some cases (livesaccing with intrinsic invisibility, I suppose), and...?

Grey
05-26-2009, 07:14 PM
rings of invisibility for some cases (livesaccing with intrinsic invisibility, I suppose)

Please don't start spreading that lie! Cursed rings of invis are just sticky rings of invis, nothing else.

Maul
05-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Please don't start spreading that lie! Cursed rings of invis are just sticky rings of invis, nothing else.

Well, over there on Brinkster I interpreted a post in a way that made me think it did it (despite the arena master thing), but I'll guess I'll leave the cursed item thingies to the pros then.

Necropassion
05-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Haha, yeah it all went well enough, though I did like the thought of blinding Fista...

I prefer both my stocemptia and stomafillia cursed, actually.

Grey
05-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Well, over there on Brinkster I interpreted a post in a way that made me think it did it (despite the arena master thing), but I'll guess I'll leave the cursed item thingies to the pros then.

Don't believe everything you read ;)

Conundrum
05-27-2009, 02:07 AM
Spider bread is better cursed? Why?

vogonpoet
05-27-2009, 06:08 AM
Dark Elves are cool, and dark. Spider bread is cool. If you are a Dark Elf, spider bread satiates you more when it is cursed, cos its cool.

And yeah, unholy water is pretty much the reason why you should be using those blessed scrolls of identify instead of an altar.

Sami
05-27-2009, 10:10 AM
If you want to preserve unholy water, then why don't you drop those next to the altar before dropping everything else on the altar?

vogonpoet
05-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Point being, how do you know its unholy?. I tend to use :d $ a lot at altars, hence blessed SoIdentify.

Sami
05-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Usually biggest stack is plain water. Blessed and unholy water can be easily identified by wasting one potion (or none if you just drop both stacks next to the altar and use SoI later) from either stack: they have different taste or if you dip any identified item in them, you'll see if it becomes cursed or blessed.
Also if you happen to need more unholy water you can always dip 4 plain/holy water in unholy water to make more (assuming you have at least 1 already).

vogonpoet
05-27-2009, 01:12 PM
For the spider bread stoma emptia/filla invis pots what else people: You also might want a cursed scroll of repair.

Sami
05-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Potion of exchange for gambling with stats.
Potions of boost stat for skill training (dexterity/willpower/toughness with herbs).
Girdle of greed/weight/carrying for strength training (possibly not the best way :P).
Any weapon for getting more skill marks when fighting (minor) undead or demons.