PDA

View Full Version : What hobbies/talents do ADOMers have?

nipon621
10-26-2012, 02:55 AM
I did a quick search and didnt find a hobby thread! There's bound to be some awesome talents amongst the players here.

I enjoy blacksmithing (mostly tools and knives), woodworking (carving, turning, simple furniture), i've dabbled in clay, stone carving, etc. Talent would have to be counseling people. No idea why I'm good at it.

Post yours!

gut
10-26-2012, 12:01 PM
i like to paint

Chris
10-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Art and I don't get along, I'm afraid. Got no creativity at all. I did spend hours every day melting candles and creating houses and people with it when I was 10 or so, though ;)
I loved working with wood and metal in shop class, but I never took it further. Nowadays my hobbies are photography and playing dota2, if that can be considered a hobby.

anon123
10-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Art and I don't get along, I'm afraid. Got no creativity at all.

I remember the art classes I had at school... they were horrible. Barely got around the passing mark most of the time.

My hobby would probably be computers and networking. I have a pretty large amount of knowledge, mostly acquired informally and fueled by a strong desire to know how stuff works, and enjoy learning more every day. Not an advanced programmer or hacker, but I know my way around.

Outside of technology, I like listening to music, of which I have a large digital collection. Rock, pop, electronic, trance, and game soundtracks are among my favorite genres. Also like watching movies - particularly old ones, as most stuff that comes nowadays seems to be either not particularly good or more of the same "tried and true" formulas. Used to read a lot, but the Internet destroyed that, unless participating in forums counts :p

nipon621
10-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Used to read a lot, but the Internet destroyed that, unless participating in forums counts :p

I hear that. Reading is basically work for me now - used to love it. College kinda ruined it for me.

prime
10-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Well, I play some instruments... and a couple of times a week I go down to the gym and level up my unarmed combat.
But to be honest, I play games and waste time on the internet/in bars more than I do any of those activities.

I'd love to paint, but I've tried to pick it up a few times and always ended up getting discouraged at my obvious lack of ability.

Blacksmithing sounds fun. But as far as I know, you need a forge and an anvil, neither of which I know where to find.

nipon621
10-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Well, I play some instruments... and a couple of times a week I go down to the gym and level up my unarmed combat.
But to be honest, I play games and waste time on the internet/in bars more than I do any of those activities.

I'd love to paint, but I've tried to pick it up a few times and always ended up getting discouraged at my obvious lack of ability.

Blacksmithing sounds fun. But as far as I know, you need a forge and an anvil, neither of which I know where to find.

I for one, am jealous of Gut and his painting... I think if I had tried oils, it would be ok but I was such a perfectionist with blending colors that it got me nowhere, and hence frustrated.

You indeed need a forge and an anvil. There's a site called anvilfire.com which has any info you might need. Its a lot easier to start than you might think, but it takes a lot of investment if you want the process to be convenient as well (light the gas furnace with a switch vs start a charcoal fire after cleaning the forge).

brim
12-15-2012, 05:12 PM
An obvious lack of ability is just an obvious need for practice.

My hobbies are home-brewing, gardening, and playing/recording music. I must admit that I don't spend as much time working on music as I used to, which kinda bums me out, but these things go in cycles. I also probably spend a lot more time drinking beer than I do brewing it, but that's what makes it a great hobby! I should be finishing a new song fairly soon, I'll make sure I link to it here when it's done.

Travis Prue
12-15-2012, 07:27 PM
I like making random, useless javascripts.

Esoteric Rogue
12-18-2012, 05:42 AM
I play video games.

brim
12-21-2012, 06:37 AM
As promised, to no one other than myself, here's a link to my latest song. It's kinda corny, but who says that's a bad thing?

https://soundcloud.com/brianjay86/any-road-she-goes

reece4breakfast
04-04-2013, 04:33 PM
my hobbies fluctuate. In the US, I drank a lot, played lots of guitar, video games and spent time with the wife.
In Afghanistan: throwing knives, knot making, shooting things, parachute cord projects, and gym time.. lots and lots of gym time..

quik
04-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Chess. --------> 10 characters

grobblewobble
04-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Go aka weiqi aka baduk, the board game.

quik
04-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Go aka weiqi aka baduk, the board game.

And that, too.

Blasphemous
04-05-2013, 08:51 AM
No real talents I'm afraid, unless you call spending 8 hours in front of a comp screen at work, only to repeat that after getting back home.

I do have some hobbies though, one being astronomy, I own a dobsonian Skywatcher telescope with 305 mm primary mirror.
I live close to a dark-sky preserve (Izera Dark-Sky Park) and occasionally take my scope out for a midnight journey through Messier's objects, or just watching some periodic meteor showers with binocs.

Now that I gave it a second thought, I believe I have some poetry writing skills and I create poems from time to time, but mostly for personal amusement.

grobblewobble
04-05-2013, 09:35 AM
And that, too.
Do you play on any server? I am on OGS and have an account on KGS if you're interested.

I own a dobsonian Skywatcher telescope with 305 mm primary mirror. I live close to a dark-sky preserve
Me so jealous. Where I live you can't see a star on the best nights.

Blasphemous
04-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Sadly for the past year and a few months, I've been working (and thus spending the vast majority of my time) in a 700k city so I only have the opportunity to watch the sky once or twice a month.

GordonOverkill
05-03-2013, 08:04 AM
I play in a very nice Heavy Metal band and spend very much time on music in general. Apart from that I read alot (mainly about philosophy), waste time on the internet and since the beginning of this year I started working out which is also great fun.

Nevermore
05-22-2013, 04:14 PM
I usually reading books and I love to travel around the world and playing with my cats and my dog. Also I have many hobbies and interests in my life, those are the most common during everyday.

Silfir
05-22-2013, 07:42 PM
I also like to play chess. I'm sometimes online on chess.com (http://www.chess.com/members/view/Twilight_Sparkle), too.

I might also be a little bit obsessed with a cartoon show that's gained some popularity in recent times, but I'm not saying which one.

grobblewobble
05-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Which one?

Silfir
05-23-2013, 02:53 AM
I am impeccable at keeping secrets. You're not hearing a whinny out of me.

gut
05-23-2013, 07:22 AM
You forgot to include the invisitext.

Dodger
05-24-2013, 08:54 AM
When I'm not studying for my degree, playing video games, or exercising (no more than an hour a day), I run a Pathfinder campaign for people I've never met in person. We talk on Skype, play on Maptool, and we've been at it for a good fourteen months now.

Howdy, folks!

Nevermore
05-24-2013, 08:34 PM
In the last months I have been enjoying historical wargaming, in particular De Bellis Antiquitatis (ancient and medieval age are my most beloved periods). This is another big hobby of my free time, I usually play on my local club once per week.

GordonOverkill
06-10-2013, 08:18 PM
For those who like traditional speed thrashing Heavy Metal music, this is me performing my favourite hobby (I'm the bass player on the left side of the picture): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkEO7GnILA4&list=PLOdHNY3MGPauveqjfJkemIVrXYFjAaOJq

Nevermore
07-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Another great hobbies of mine, since I was a fourteen, are pen & paper RPGs. I began with D&D 3.5 and then I tried many rpgs from Vampire The Masquarade to RuneQuest, but my favorite system is GURPS.

Actually, I'll run during this week a small campaign during Roman Empire and then a dungeoncrawl fantasy campaign (based on GURPS Dungeon Fantasy supplements).

yerviz
07-03-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm an avid cyclist and go for a 15-30 mile ride 3-4 times a week. Love to play pen and paper RPG's like 3.5 D&D and Shadowrun. Also a hopeless PC gaming addict. Just got talked back into playing EVE online by a friend and just finished up Hotline Miami. Also am an avid reader, working on finishing Metro 2033 and Karl Popper's "The Logic of Scientific Discovery" :)

Midnight_Carnival
07-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Shall we start with ADoM skills?

cooking - I'm aflicted by the ability to cook better than many resturants and thus unable to aprecaite fast food unless very hungry

find weakness - Again, somewhat of a mixed blessing, I have accidentally reduced people to tears in what I thought was a pleasant conversation, just hit a nerve I guess. In sparring matches (I have stopped fighting for -um health reasons) I soon learn where to hit in most unskilled oponents.

[working on first aid, but I'd want to use that on others, preferably not myslef]

healing - I'm a TROLL!!!

gardening - started this little community gardeing project which has really taken off, I often get good results becasue I communicate with small nature spirits and with the plants.

-was it haggle or barter or something? kind of necessary in my line of work

-the rest I won't add because of my extreme modesty, yes, I'm about 9x more modest than anyone else!

Kurasu
07-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Hello! My name is Kurasu, and I'm an ADOM-player.

(Hi, Kurasu!)

In the real world, my own skills and hobbies, aside from the obvious ADOM one, involve a number of things.

I'm into giving advice, and presently work 3 different Q&A sections on AllExperts (Transgender, Asperger's, and Video Game Tactics), as well as moderating a Q&A on a transgender forum on a here-to-be-unnamed-but-popopuar-and-yet-underground social site.

I love to cook, and am a master of the bachelor art of grill and crock pot. I've taken some forays into frying, though my oven is still only for oven-baked pizza and wings at the moment.

I'm a low-level cosplayer with high-level tastes; I'm working on learning the basics of prop-making, and am presently trying to work on a mask/headpiece. I've done prop-making in the past, and am a thrift store scrounge artist for most of my cosplays (although I don't have the sewing skill to actually *adjust* anything I find). I've never wanted to enter a masquerade; I'm happy to just get cameras pointed at conventions.

I'm hugely into pet collecting and battling on World Of Warcraft; #1 on Emerald Dreams EU according to Wowprogress, #2 according to Warcraftpets (which take their primary criteria from different sources). I'm officially titled 'Professor Ash' in my guild, and have multiple people who come to me for advice. And what can I say? I love it.

I'm a heavy purveyor of That Guy With The Glasses, Chez Apocalypse, and a variety of other web-based shows and companies.