PDA

View Full Version : Pre ToEF wish

littlebrather
12-03-2012, 12:15 PM
What do you prefer to wish except for Khelavaster's life and treasure?
You got a second wish, what would you choose?
According to the guidebook and collective forum wisdom, nicer one is RDSM or SLB. And '=Fire mail' is preferable because of the future ToEF run.
On the other hand, main source of death ray resistance in early-mid game is SMW. Never tried to face ACW w/o the resist btw.
Sadly, nobody is able to wear both AMW and any other armor, even if it is so shiny and needful as =Fire one. Isn't it better to wish for a crown of fire? That +5 PV isn't that much for a tru morgia addict. As wisard/archer one may just take Sword of Nonack, but there are at least some other classes in the game.

Silfir
12-03-2012, 12:24 PM
The ancient chaos wyrm doesn't cast death rays. Unless you're unlucky enough to spawn a ki-rin or emperor lich in a mixed tension room, death ray resistance is completely superfluous in the Tower. The recommendation for red dragon scale mails is made because it both protects from fire and has high PV, though if you have sufficient resistances and other armor of similar PV, I don't think it's worth a wish. If I remember right, crowns of fire had the unfortunate quirk of not being themselves immune to fire.

anon123
12-03-2012, 12:31 PM
With Kelly being saved already, seven league boots are what I'd spend the second wish on, due to the well-known speed advantages.

If you want an alternate source of fire immunity, try rings of elemental mastery. They give =Fire =Cold =Elec, and use a slot for which you're unlikely to have anything better at this point. Items that grant immunity alone aren't protected from those elements, but the elemental gauntlets take care of this. It's a wish that doesn't seem to get much love :rolleyes:

You don't need death ray resistance for the ACW, by the way. What he fires are energy bolts, not death rays. You can't resist them, but yes dodge with Alertness and high speed. They can be very damaging though, try to have HP over 200.

JellySlayer
12-03-2012, 01:13 PM
What do you prefer to wish except for Khelavaster's life and treasure?
You got a second wish, what would you choose?
According to the guidebook and collective forum wisdom, nicer one is RDSM or SLB. And '=Fire mail' is preferable because of the future ToEF run.
On the other hand, main source of death ray resistance in early-mid game is SMW. Never tried to face ACW w/o the resist btw.
Sadly, nobody is able to wear both AMW and any other armor, even if it is so shiny and needful as =Fire one. Isn't it better to wish for a crown of fire? That +5 PV isn't that much for a tru morgia addict. As wisard/archer one may just take Sword of Nonack, but there are at least some other classes in the game.

Depends a lot on your equipment and level. Personally, I would only consider RDSM if I get the wish quite early in the game--well before Khelly--where I can get a lot out of the PV bonus early, and even then, I'd probably prefer eternium tower sheilds. I never have any trouble getting enough fire resistance for the tower to need to use a wish on an immunity. On 1.1.1 characters, ancient karmic wyrm is a good wish if you have the right resources to kill it for XP. Not sure if it's still terribly worthwhile in 1.2.0+.

For casters, I'd normally be tempted by spellbooks of acid ball/rain of sorrows. Especially for divine casters--ball spells are extremely rare. Even for wizards, if you haven't gotten lucky or spend many hours stairhopping, there's a decent chance you won't have all that much acid ball so it might be worth it.

Although I haven't done it much myself, for melee PCs, there is a good case to be made for going for a banshee wish for BugWil rewards if you're in need of any of those types of items.

For general play, 7lbs are always a good bet, though admittedly they aren't terribly useful in the Tower. For a barbarian/beastie/monk who doesn't need 7lbs... would have to think about it.

Spellweaver
12-03-2012, 01:19 PM
I'd wish for food preservation or find weakness if I don't have one. If I have both, I'd wish for Detect Item Status.
After that...
SLB, Crowns of regeneration (unless I have Crown of Leadership), bracers of regeneration (unless I have BoW).
Swords of sharpness, daggers of death, phase daggers. (In very rare cases when my best weapon is orcish spear).
Spellbooks... If I am that unlucky, maybe, they fit too.

anon123
12-03-2012, 01:30 PM
On 1.1.1 characters, ancient karmic wyrm is a good wish if you have the right resources to kill it for XP. Not sure if it's still terribly worthwhile in 1.2.0+.

If you take off your source(s) of +SeeI before delivering the final bolt, it's just as effective. Now, if you have it as an intrinsic...

Swords of sharpness, daggers of death, phase daggers. (In very rare cases when my best weapon is orcish spear).

Wishing for weapons feels like a waste to me; you're bound to find upgrades as gameplay progresses, Big Punch is guaranteed, and Darkforge might have something good.

Spellweaver
12-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Wishing for weapons feels like a waste to me; you're bound to find upgrades as gameplay progresses, Big Punch is guaranteed, and Darkforge might have something good.

I said, in very rare cases. I, personally, never wished for weapons. But anything can happen.

grobblewobble
12-03-2012, 02:02 PM
If going for an ultra, I'd keep the wish for scroll of danger or anything else that turns out to be hard to find.

I wouldn't wish for swords of sharpness, but I might wish for phase daggers in some circumstances. Wands of paralyzation can be a good wish too. Or rings of weakness, yes I know, that's a horrible exploit, kill me. :p

Oh, and magical writing sets can be good. If archer, fletchery sets is tempting too.

Rings of regeneration aren't bad either if you lack that.

Al-Khwarizmi
12-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Pairs of seven league books
Spellbooks of Acid Ball
Spellbooks of Strength of Atlas (yeah, I'm a packrat)
Eternium tower shields
Scrolls of chaos resistance (maybe not very useful in the early game, but they will be later on)
Potions of cure corruption (can be used on the ACW too)
Rings of elemental mastery
Find weakness
Wands of paralyzation

Years ago I used to wish for RDSM, but now I think it's mostly not worth it. As JellySlayer says, it's usually easy to get enough fire resistance for the ToEF; and in the course of the game it's common to find lots of good body armor.

In my last game I found 4 or 5 dragon scale mails of various colors, and several eternium plate mails, but I didn't see a single eternium tower shield (not that I needed it because I was a monk, but anyway... they seem to be rather uncommon).

grobblewobble
12-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Pairs of seven league books
That would indeed be awesome. ;)

Stingray1
12-03-2012, 04:35 PM
I love the Teleportation spell too much to not wish for Concentration, if I don't have it. Especially in the Blue Dragon Caves and Stone Circle.

Otherwise Gaab'Baay stuff. If I have them then wands of pararalyzation, 7LB in that order.

Dogbreath
12-03-2012, 08:43 PM
That would indeed be awesome. ;)

Think of how long they'd take to read, though...

Carter
12-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Years ago I used to wish for RDSM, but now I think it's mostly not worth it. As JellySlayer says, it's usually easy to get enough fire resistance for the ToEF; and in the course of the game it's common to find lots of good body armor.

you should always do darkforge before the tower, and a good 50% chance of findng a decent scalemail anyway.

surprised noone mentioned rings of ice. For a character like an archer i'll go for rings of ice, as it means i can carry my equipment all the way through the tower, whereas blankets tend to melt.

Archie
12-04-2012, 01:05 AM
you should always do darkforge before the tower, and a good 50% chance of findng a decent scalemail anyway.

surprised noone mentioned rings of ice. For a character like an archer i'll go for rings of ice, as it means i can carry my equipment all the way through the tower, whereas blankets tend to melt.

"Fate smiles" is all you need to prevent melting. Really. And blessed blankets are, to my suprise, safer then blessed rings.

You also can wish for scrolls of education. Blessed ones give you new skill. It can be woodcraft or tactics, but also can be food preservation/concentration/find weakness/athletics/archery/detect item status, or even alertness. Wishing gives you 2d2 scrolls, so it's lottery.
And it may be much wiser to save wish for future if possible.

ghostrobotmoonzombie
12-04-2012, 01:14 AM
Girdle of Giant Strength, then pimp it up with SoDef.prot.

SirTheta
12-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Half the time I bring a blessed FP blanket into ToEF, with Luck, Fate Smiles intrinsic & ankh, it burns up in <2000 turns. (RNG thinks it's funny to do this after I've explored tower to top floor w/ no FP blanket, too). I consider them pretty much useless at this point.

Okay, maybe half the time is slight exaggeration, but it has happened twice to me relatively recently and it is seriously annoying.

Archie
12-04-2012, 06:51 AM
RNG is wierd then. Can't remember smth like that in 30+ ToEF journeys, and I have a habit to grind on TF1... (That's 1.1.1 btw)

Al-Khwarizmi
12-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I don't know why I forgot rings of ice. I've wished for them sometimes, and they are a very nice wish too, especially if you're going to slay the ACW with slaying ammo. Blankets protect your backpack but not the stuff you are wearing/wielding (like bow and arrows).

Carter
12-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Half the time I bring a blessed FP blanket into ToEF, with Luck, Fate Smiles intrinsic & ankh, it burns up in <2000 turns. (RNG thinks it's funny to do this after I've explored tower to top floor w/ no FP blanket, too). I consider them pretty much useless at this point.

Okay, maybe half the time is slight exaggeration, but it has happened twice to me relatively recently and it is seriously annoying.

this happened to me not once, but twice in the space of about 5000 moves. Go into the tower, got to the top level. Blanket torched.

scum ID for literally about 2 minutes and wow, a blanket! bless it, and back to the tower! it goes up in smoke on the 2nd level. with the ankh etc.

gut
12-05-2012, 02:39 AM
behold, the power of dooming

SirTheta
12-05-2012, 03:25 AM
I was neither doomed nor cursed in my two sojourns that resulted in fp blankets burning up quite fast.

Carter
12-05-2012, 05:34 AM
behold, the power of dooming

cept i wasn't doomed or cursed. Though iirc i wasn't intrinsically fate smiles, only had the ankh.

gut
12-05-2012, 10:08 AM
that is what I meant, people. If you had been doomed, those blankets would have lasted forever.

Pim
12-05-2012, 01:03 PM
If you had been doomed, those blankets would have lasted forever.

That was fixed in 1.2.0p1

http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=119

Also, wrt luck affecting fireproof blankets, the guidebook says "The actual Luck roll is 1dGoodLuck-1 + BadLuck" and also "Fireproof blanket is destroyed if 5/15/100 B/U/C + (GoodLuck-BadLuck) * 10 >=1d1000".

We can assume that the bug fix changed it to "5/15/100 B/U/C + (BadLuck - GoodLuck) * 10 >=1d1000"

But even if your BadLuck is zero because you are neither cursed nor doomed, your GoodLuck isn't really equal to your GoodLuck, it's 1d(GoodLuck) - 1. So no amount of Lucky or Fate Smiles Upon You or Ankh wearing will ever make your blankets fully immune to fire.

anon123
12-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Rings of ice are good, but sadly fill your screen with spam every two steps, and having to press Enter all the time is annoying. So for the ToEF I like to have a few blessed fireproof blankets (which seldom burn away for me, I guess I'm lucky) and spend as little time as possible inside to begin with. Although fully clearing the temple can be tempting...

Archie
12-05-2012, 04:19 PM
I was neither doomed nor cursed in my two sojourns that resulted in fp blankets burning up quite fast.

Do you bless them?

SirTheta
12-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Yes, absolutely. Plus the Thrundarr ones are pre-blessed, which was one of the times. Guess he thought it would be funny to give me shoddy equipment.

Pim
12-06-2012, 11:07 PM
TLDR: With lucky, fate smiles, and the ankh, there's still a 50% chance that after 2500 turns in the ToEF, you have lost one or more blessed fireproof blankets.

If we believe the equations presented in the guidebook, then here are some values, for blessed fireproof blankets.

Not lucky at all (GoodLuck = 0)

50% chance that your blanket survived after 138 turns
10% chance that your blanket survived after 459 turns

Lucky, Fate Smiles Upon You intrinsics; or, wearing ankh but no intrinsics (GoodLuck = 9)

50% chance that your blanket survived after 1247 turns
10% chance that your blanket survived after 4144 turns

Lucky, Fate Smile Upon You intrinsics, and also wearing ankh (GoodLuck = 18)

50% chance that your blanket survived after 2495 turns
10% chance that your blanket survived after 8288 turns

Lucky, Fate Smile Upon You intrinsics, and also wearing ankh and ring of luck (GoodLuck = 20)

50% chance that your blanket survived after 2772 turns
10% chance that your blanket survived after 9209 turns

It might also be helpful to reinterpret "chance that your blanket survived" as "100 percent minus the chance that you lost one or more blankets." As you can see it is not unusual for blankets to burn up in fewer than 2000 turns, even at higher luck values.

Doubling your luck doubles the expected longevity of your blanket, in a manner of speaking. Still, there is a non-zero chance that you will lose a blanket every single turn. (That chance is .005/GoodLuck, or .005 if GoodLuck = 0).

If anyone would like to check my math, it is based on this equation:
If 5 - (1d(GoodLuck)-1)*10 >= 1d1000 then destroy a blessed fireproof blanket.
Meaning there is a 1 in GoodLuck chance that the luck roll will be 1, leaving a 5 in 1000 chance for destruction. Giving a probability of destruction every turn p = 5/1000/GoodLuck; at the most common luck value = 18, the probability of survival every turn 1-p = .99972222....

So if Y is the event of losing a blanket happening with probability p every turn, then P(Y=0) after x turns = (1-p)^x
And then we plug in some values for P(Y=0), and solve for x.
P(Y=0) = (1-p)^x
ln P(Y=0) = x ln (1-p)
x = ln P(Y=0) / ln (1-p)
x = ln P(Y=0) / ln (1-5/1000/GoodLuck)

...again with the special case that if GoodLuck = 0, it is the same as if it were 1.

Jack the Ripper
12-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Rings of ice are good, but sadly fill your screen with spam every two steps, and having to press Enter all the time is annoying. So for the ToEF I like to have a few blessed fireproof blankets (which seldom burn away for me, I guess I'm lucky) and spend as little time as possible inside to begin with. Although fully clearing the temple can be tempting...

I know for sure there's a way to suppress all those annoying messages, using either ADOM Sage or editing adom.cfg , but cannot for the life of me remember how. Back in the server days, I remember just copying sorear's settings and getting on with it, since that solved the issues. Can anyone help with this?

anon123
12-27-2012, 07:01 PM
I know that Sage can do it, but I play the Windows port because it's the most fluid in this computer, so it's a non-option for me. But I suppose adding this under :suppress in sage.msg would do it.

The air is extremely hot!
The air on this level is searingly hot!
Your equipment is protected from the fire by a thin sheet of ice emanating from your hands.
You feel a cool breeze for a second.

Maybe these two, if you're okay with not seeing them outside the ToEF as well:

You resist the searing flames.
You withstand the searing flames.

If editing adom.cfg can skip the spam, I don't know how (but would be very happy to find out!).