PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Knights information (Spoilers)

Kyreles
12-06-2012, 07:58 PM
This thread will have spoilers. Please don't read if you aren't interested.

Just thought it'd be good to have a place to collect info about them. I'll try to edit this first post to consolidate info a little bit.

No quests from Neutral or Lawful quest givers (Terinyo, Dak, Thundarr) while you are chaotic.

You start with 4 corruptions

Ratling Traders won't talk to you. They just say business is closed. They will trade if you convert away from Chaotic.

Chatting with Hawkslayer makes him hostile! (While chaotic)

A chaos knight does not need to be extremely corrupted to enter the chaos plane.

When Neutral alignment you recieve -2 to all stats.

Chaos knights can enter the assassins guild without being teleported away once This is not true.

Changing alignment from C- is difficult. You begin with as very chaotic. Once you convert away from C you "feel fiery pain in your stomach!" and will take damage periodically. (This will change to "Aching pains wreck your bowels!" with no damage if you have -fire.)

6 - corrupting attacks heal (Including corruption traps and extremely corrupting areas - candyland levels espicially).
12 - random speed bonus of +1d(level) each round
18 - random skill bonus of +1d8 each round for wielded weapons
25 - random damage bonus of +1d(level) each round with two-handed weapons
25 - random bonus of +1d(number of corruptions) to ST, DX, TO each round
32 - corrupt at reduced speed the more corrupted you are (75% speed if more than 5 corruptions, 50% speed if more than 10 corruptions)
40 - one-time HP bonus of +50
50 - hardened, +4d6 PV randomly determined each round

Start with very nice armor (very high PV). Heir gift is Chaotic Battle Axe of Slaughtering (+0, 2d8+3)

Skillset:
Athletics
Backstabbing
Dodge
Find Weakness
Two Weapon Combat

Crowning Gifts:

Death's Blade
Grod
Foeslammer
Spiked Armor of Chaos and Terror
Moloch Boots
Crowned Spiked Helmet of Chaos Lordship

Alucard
12-06-2012, 08:43 PM
I don't see a manual entry for the class?

Not directly related, but:

Sgr, the drakish chaos Knight, quit prematurely.
He scored 0 points.
[OK, to be honest: he scored -14545 points!]

BenMathiesen
12-06-2012, 08:53 PM
I also got a negative score. Those 4 corruptions? I started with poison hands as the 2nd corruption, which really bites. :-) And although my background story says I was a skilled diplomat, my charisma was terribly low.

*You can still give criminals to the sheriff for gold.
*L6 power: you do +1 damage with two-handed weapons every odd level.

JellySlayer
12-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Well, there goes my evening.

Chris
12-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Christmas break as of today, so yeah. Thanks for pointing out the corruptions, I did not know why I was teleporting, Thought it was an innate power.

The old barbarian calls you a damn traitor.

It is possible to change alignment. It just takes a lot. I think that you're bottom of the alignment range and going from C- to NC took me a little over 200 gp (sacced 1gp at a time on a neutral altar). There's a new problem, though. Once you've changed alignment to N (and I assume L) you get the following message: "You feel fiery pain in your stomach!". You lose 1HP for this. Candle is pretty much a must if you want to convert early.
Once you're no longer of chaotic alignment, you can take the old barbarian/little girl/carpenter quests. The sheriff just tells you to get out or he'll teach you about law.
I might have just imagined this (1AM and I've got a fever) but did my stats just drop when converting? Can anyone check this?

Lvl12 class power is nice. Gain a speed bonus of +1d12, newly determined each turn.

Grey
12-06-2012, 09:23 PM
They start with full plate armour (-4, -8) [-6, -9], and usually have horned helmet, metal girdle, cloak, gauntlets and iron boots too, so big chance of mega PV. Weapon is usually scythe. Heir item is chaotic battle axe of slaughtering (+0, 2d8+3).

All their background text was written by me :D

Mobius
12-06-2012, 09:33 PM
I think it's not possible to change alignment from C-. I sacced a bunch of gold one a a time and stayed C-.
what about an amulet of Law / Balance, healing injured folks, offering peace, etc?

Grey
12-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Troll starts with huge iron hammer - 2d9+2 damage! And I just generated one with 37 starting strength (and none of that was from corruptions).

Al-Khwarizmi
12-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Level 6 class power: get +1 damage with 2-handed weapons every odd level.

Grey
12-06-2012, 10:41 PM
If you haven't tried it yet, have a go at praying with a Chaos Knight.

JellySlayer
12-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Skillset:
Athletics
Backstabbing
Dodge
Find Weakness
TWC
Literacy not guaranteed

Equipment almost identical for all races. PV 10+ is typical.

Heir gift is chaotic battleaxe of slaughtering with approx stats (+3, 2d8+2)

Dogbreath
12-06-2012, 10:54 PM
:D

Anyway, I've got a pretty promising start on a Dwarven Chaos Knight right now, going to try and get him an OCG over the weekend... I imagine it'd be a lot different of an ending?

Also, does anyone know if there's a means of obtaining healing?

Chris
12-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Dogbreath, convert to neutrality (easiest way seems to be to sack gold on a Neutral/Lawful altar) and then talk to the village elder. Complete the quest as usual.

Carter
12-06-2012, 11:49 PM

Anyway, I've got a pretty promising start on a Dwarven Chaos Knight right now, going to try and get him an OCG over the weekend... I imagine it'd be a lot different of an ending?

ditto.

drakling chaos knight who started with random spells + darkness + scales corruptions is kicking arse and just found the amulet.

liking the randomness of the corruptions... can't wait to see the crowning gifts!

grobblewobble
12-06-2012, 11:49 PM
For the purpose of healing, converting to N is strongly counterproductive. ;)

I think there is a bug with the level 6 class power. When you reach that level it says that you now deal extra damage with 2-handed weapons, but if you look at the list of powers it says corrupting attacks now heal you. (Which they do.)

Chris
12-06-2012, 11:54 PM
That's true, unless you're Candle born. Then you actually gain a bit of hp but the main thing is that you'll be able to do the quests.

grobblewobble
12-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Yeah. And buy food from ratling traders.

JellySlayer
12-07-2012, 12:05 AM

Can you just talk to Hotzenplotz without the elder?

Grey
12-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Just got crowned with the following:

spiked maul of devastation "Foeslammer" (+12, 6d8+6) [-4, +0]

No idea what it does beyond the damage yet.

Edit: Experimentation shows that it causes fear in enemies.

Grey
12-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Class powers:

Level 6: You are healed by corruption (the level up message lies)
Level 12: Speed bonus of +1d12 each turn (keeps changing)

Carter
12-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Just got crowned with the following:

spiked maul of devastation "Foeslammer" (+12, 6d8+6) [-4, +0]

No idea what it does beyond the damage yet.

Edit: Experimentation shows that it causes fear in enemies.

very compatible to death's blade without knowing its intrinsic.

Carter
12-07-2012, 01:06 AM
6 - corruption heals
25 - random damage bonus of +1d(level) each round with two-handed weapons
32 - corrupt at reduced speed the more corrupted you are (75% speed if more than 5 corruptions, 50% speed if more than 10 corruptions)
40 - one-time HP bonus of +50

looks like 6/18 got mixed up messages

Grey
12-07-2012, 01:18 AM
very compatible to death's blade without knowing its intrinsic.
From my flg it seems it gives death resistance too, making it even more comparable to Death's Blade.

Dogbreath
12-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Can you just talk to Hotzenplotz without the elder?

Nope. That was the first thing I tried.

Which is kind of crappy. You should be able to get the quest from Hotzenplotz if you're chaotic, IMO. Just make Hotzenplotz mutually exclusive with the Druid as well, so you don't have a means of getting both Healing and Herbalism like before.

Too be honest, though, I just started a Chaos Knight with the "your wounds heal rapidly" corruption, and it replaces the healing skill nicely.

*Goes off to make RFE*

Soirana
12-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Now if only i would figure there that 0.6 thingie is to download....

Aielyn
12-07-2012, 04:27 AM
Idea: how about if the story plays out a little differently for a Chaos Knight? Rather than needing to SAVE the Carpenter, you actually need to CORRUPT him. Your task is to lure the Carpenter out of Terinyo and into the Village Dungeon, then corrupt him. In effect, a Chaos Knight is thus revealed to be the cause of him being there in the first place from the perspective of the other classes.

Perhaps he's found in Terinyo at the start, and is the only character other than the shopkeeper who will even talk with you. He won't immediately move close enough to the edge of town for you to lure directly, you have to find a way to get him there - methods include using confusion, having high enough charisma to convince him to become a companion, or the simplest method of attacking him.

If you can manage to leave Terinyo with him in tow, then you will learn of the Village Dungeon from him (even if he was hostile when leaving, your corrupting influence will soften him quickly).

Once you have access to the Village Dungeon, you must take the Carpenter down to the bottom level. The corrupting influence will transform him on arrival into his corrupted form, at which point Jharod will "appear" on level 4 as usual, ostensibly due to sensing the pain of someone in the dungeon, but being unwilling to go deeper on his own (although you would only learn this by converting to N or L).

Sorry, I know this is for actual info, but I figured I'd offer the idea here before making an RFE.

hbpo
12-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Did candle work for you? In my case, that didn't have any impact on my regeneration rate.

Grey
12-07-2012, 08:24 AM
Candle worked fine for me.

grobblewobble
12-07-2012, 09:05 AM
I am dubbing them the reroll class. The set of starting corruptions makes a huge difference in early game survival. Poison hands is especially punishing, since food is already a problem without it (no cooked lizards). I think it would be good if chaos knights started with thick gauntlets.

Funny detail, beggars still drop booze but they pick it up again. They almost beg you to kill them.

Soirana
12-07-2012, 09:26 AM
I am dubbing them the reroll class. The set of starting corruptions makes a huge difference in early game survival. Poison hands is especially punishing, since food is already a problem without it (no cooked lizards). I think it would be good if chaos knights started with thick gauntlets.

That is however lots of randomized fun, which is what roguelikes about in general. thick gauntlets would be nice although.

AlterAsc
12-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Another problem is literacy. If you start illiterate and want to keep in-character there's no way to get it except it you-know-how. Let chaos knight kill thrundarr for the potion, since they have to remove the portal too somehow!

Al-Khwarizmi
12-07-2012, 11:13 AM
I am dubbing them the reroll class. The set of starting corruptions makes a huge difference in early game survival.
Well, they are Chaos Knights after all. I'd be disappointed if randomness didn't play a large role in playing them.

Dogbreath
12-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Idea: how about if the story plays out a little differently for a Chaos Knight? Rather than needing to SAVE the Carpenter, you actually need to CORRUPT him. Your task is to lure the Carpenter out of Terinyo and into the Village Dungeon, then corrupt him. In effect, a Chaos Knight is thus revealed to be the cause of him being there in the first place from the perspective of the other classes.

Perhaps he's found in Terinyo at the start, and is the only character other than the shopkeeper who will even talk with you. He won't immediately move close enough to the edge of town for you to lure directly, you have to find a way to get him there - methods include using confusion, having high enough charisma to convince him to become a companion, or the simplest method of attacking him.

If you can manage to leave Terinyo with him in tow, then you will learn of the Village Dungeon from him (even if he was hostile when leaving, your corrupting influence will soften him quickly).

Once you have access to the Village Dungeon, you must take the Carpenter down to the bottom level. The corrupting influence will transform him on arrival into his corrupted form, at which point Jharod will "appear" on level 4 as usual, ostensibly due to sensing the pain of someone in the dungeon, but being unwilling to go deeper on his own (although you would only learn this by converting to N or L).

Sorry, I know this is for actual info, but I figured I'd offer the idea here before making an RFE.

Feel free to discuss any of this in my RFE thread.

AlterAsc
12-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Just got corruption in SMC on day 15 when walking. I suppose that you not only take damage when convert from C but also get corrupted. Oh maybe it's something related to lvl6 class power and healing tissue corruption?

Soirana
12-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Just got corruption in SMC on day 15 when walking. I suppose that you not only take damage when convert from C but also get corrupted. Oh maybe it's something related to lvl6 class power and healing tissue corruption?

SMC DL depends on char level [something like DL= 2xchar level]. for chars with lv >5 it was always believed and reported to be corrupting.

AlterAsc
12-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Oh. Yes, i was lvl12. Sorry for misinformation then.

Sami
12-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Class powers (confirmed):

level 6: You are healed by corruption.
level 12: You gain a speed bonus of +1d%d (newly determined each turn).

Possible other class powers (unconfirmed, strings gained directly from the executable):

You gain a weapon skill bonus of +1d8 with wielded weapons (newly determined each turn).
You gain a bonus of +1d%d to ST, DX and TO (newly determined each turn).
Corruptions affects you with but 50% effectiveness.
Corruptions affects you with but 75% effectiveness.
Corruptions is less effective the more corrupted you become.
You gain a damage bonus of +1d%d with two-handed weapons (newly determined each turn).
You gain a PV bonus of +4d6 (newly determined each turn).

Grey
12-07-2012, 12:19 PM
From Thomas' Facebook feed:

6 - corruption heals
40 - random damage bonus of +1d(level) each round with two-handed weapons

But until we see it properly in game I don't think this or the code-dived info is much use.

grobblewobble
12-07-2012, 12:40 PM
I feel ready for Darkforge. :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Character Information

Xarfax St:35 Le: 9 Wi:14 Dx: 5 To:24 Ch: 4 Ap: 1 Ma:10 Pe: 1 C-
DV/PV: 1/56 H: 129(134) P: 32(32) Exp: 11/38732 M: 8766

Background Information

Name: Xarfax Race: male Dwarf Class: Chaos Knight
Eye color: brown Hair color: red Complexion: tanned
Height: 3'10" Weight: 40 pounds Scars: 2
Star sign: Sword Birthday: 26/Sword (day 206 of the year)

Inventory
Total weight: 2693 stones Carrying capacity: 6375 stones

He: uncursed horned helmet [+1, +1] [100s]
Ne: uncursed leather amulet [3s]
Bo: blessed spiked armor of chaos and terror (-6, -12) [-6, +40] {St+10}
Gi: blessed metal girdle [+0, +1] [25s]
Cl: uncursed light cloak [+2, +0] [20s]
RH: uncursed adamantium spear of thunder (+1, 1d8+6) [36s]
LH: -
RR: -
LR: -
Br: -
Ga: cursed thick gauntlets (-1, -2) [+0, +1] [15s]
Bo: uncursed rusty iron boots [-1, +1] [120s]
MW: -
Mi: bundle of 5 uncursed arrows [10s]
Tl: -

Stuff

Total weight: 1964 stones Carrying capacity: 6375 stones

Armor ('[')
uncursed full plate armor (-4, -8) [-6, +9] [800s]
Shields ('[')
uncursed small shield [+2, +0] [50s]
uncursed medium shield [80s]
Gauntlets ('[')
uncursed red gauntlets [10s]
blessed red gauntlets [10s]
Necklaces (''')
uncursed amber amulet [3s]
One-handed weapons ('(')
uncursed stone club (+0, 1d6) [70s]
uncursed whip (-4, 1d3) [15s]
broadsword [80s]
Two-handed weapons ('(')
uncursed two-handed sword (+3, 3d5+3) [-1, +0] [100s]
Missile weapons ('}')
heap of 2 uncursed short bows [40s]
cursed short bow [20s]
blessed sling [3s]
cursed short bow [20s]
Missiles ('/')
bundle of 9 uncursed sling bullets [27s]
bundle of 19 quarrels [38s]
bundle of 10 quarrels [40s]
Tools (']')
uncursed blanket [10s]
uncursed small key [1s]
cursed round key [1s]
uncursed climbing set [180s]
Instruments ('{')
whistle [1s]
Wands ('\')
uncursed willow wand [4s]
uncursed bronze wand [3s]
uncursed wand of digging (5 charges) [3s]
uncursed teak wand [3s]
Potions ('!')
uncursed blue potion [4s]
heap of 5 uncursed light magenta potions [20s]
heap of 2 uncursed orange potions [8s]
cursed murky potion [4s]
potion of holy water [4s]
heap of 3 uncursed light blue potions [12s]
light magenta potion [4s]
uncursed muddy potion [4s]
Scrolls ('?')
blessed scroll labeled "MKMNFST" [2s]
uncursed scroll labeled "SutsI" [2s]
heap of 3 uncursed scrolls labeled "ABABILA" [6s]
uncursed scroll labeled "Yik Mech'Shegoth" [2s]
uncursed scroll labeled "MKMNFST" [2s]
uncursed scroll labeled "YTTOCS PU EM MAEB" [2s]
uncursed scroll labeled "MUNCH MUNCH" [2s]
scroll labeled "MKMNFST" [2s]
scroll labeled "ABABILA" [2s]
scroll labeled "ACME" [2s]
unlabeled scroll [2s]
Food ('%')
heap of 13 cursed stomafillia herbs [26s]
seed [2s]
heap of 3 strange herbs [6s]
large ration [200s]
Valuables ('$')
2574 gold pieces [25s]
Gems ('*')
uncursed green gem [1s]
uncursed white gem [1s]
cursed green gem [1s]
uncursed brown gem [1s]
cursed blue gem [1s]
heap of 2 uncursed green gems [2s]

Version Information

Ancient Domains Of Mystery
Version 1.2.0
Windows Prerelease 6
Build: Dec 6 2012 21:21:07

Grey
12-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Whoah, what an armour! How much does it weigh?

grobblewobble
12-07-2012, 01:04 PM
It weighs 400 stones, makes monsters afraid of you, grants =fire, -cold and -acid and I think that it probably contains the essence of corruption.

Grey
12-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Hah, it weighs half as much as the starting armour yet gives over quadruple the PV.

JellySlayer
12-07-2012, 01:18 PM
...I'm guessing that's a crowning gift?

grobblewobble
12-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Yes, it is.

Grey
12-07-2012, 01:31 PM
By the way, was anyone around the last time a class got added to the game? It was certainly before my time.

Also, I'm impressed by the balance of this release. There are a few little niggles, but nothing that affects gameplay. Bodes well for future pre-releases :)

Grey
12-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Also I reckon early DarkForge with a Chaos Knight could be a sound tactic, in the hopes of a nice two-hander. With their monstrous HP and PV they can go toe to toe with the golems, as long as they have a way to damage them. Need a way to heal from punch-through damage though. Fire resistance would also be a plus.

grobblewobble
12-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Yes, it seems darkforge is the place to be for them. It's really an interesting class. They have a lot of special problems. In spite of their high PV they don't seem overpowered. I think they're one of the more challenging classes, even.

By the way, after getting that armor I died. The dwarf shopkeeper got angry with me for scaring away his customers (as a side effect of the armor, I didn't have the corruption). He summoned muscular dwarves and they punch through armor. With my puny DV they had no trouble hitting me. I prayed for HP twice, then took too much risk when I should have prayed a third time.

Mobius
12-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Oddly, the starting corruptions can give you a big Str boost. Had a Hurthling with a starting str of 24, reduced to 18 from corruptions!

Now trying to convert to N, see what happens.

Soirana
12-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Oddly, the starting corruptions can give you a big Str boost. Had a Hurthling with a starting str of 24, reduced to 18 from corruptions!

Now trying to convert to N, see what happens.

It is that heavy full plate armour. you see in most cases game adjusts starting St so you could carry you starting gear. hurthlings were sort of cheat like weaponsmiths and same goes here.

JellySlayer
12-07-2012, 03:21 PM
The 4 starting corruptions makes for some really interesting/nasty combinations...

-Getting corrupted tissue + acid blood + stilts + apish/scales or something similar gives a massive advantage in early game.
-Teleportitis needs automatic reroll. Or lots and lots of annoying ID scumming.
-Poison hands + thin and nimble is probably dead PC.

Soirana
12-07-2012, 03:24 PM
I can guarantee it is possible to play with tptitis on.

JellySlayer
12-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Possible, yes. But very, very annoying.

grobblewobble
12-07-2012, 03:32 PM
The only corruption I always reroll is stiff muscles. Astral planes does turn into a big advantage if you can get control. Possibly one of the best might be hating the sun (it still lets you kill shopkeepers at the moment).

JellySlayer
12-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't make a point of killing shopkeepers at every opportunity?

Soirana
12-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't make a point of killing shopkeepers at every opportunity?

As a chaos knight?

Spellweaver
12-07-2012, 06:11 PM

It depends on what you call opportunity.

JellySlayer
12-07-2012, 06:47 PM
As a chaos knight?

As any character...

Soirana
12-07-2012, 07:06 PM
As any character...

Well, see my point is if i live without healing and dwarven healing pots....I might have very good reason to express my frustration for profit:).

Carter
12-07-2012, 11:18 PM
By the way, was anyone around the last time a class got added to the game? It was certainly before my time.

Also, I'm impressed by the balance of this release. There are a few little niggles, but nothing that affects gameplay. Bodes well for future pre-releases :)

last class to be added was mindcrafter in about gamma 10, was quite buggy.

heavensblade23
12-07-2012, 11:42 PM
I'm worried they won't be be interesting to play, since their class powers are just a bunch of random bonuses that change from round to round.

grobblewobble
12-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Their class powers aren't really what defines them. The main thing is, you start out C- and as long as you remain C most quests are blocked and so are ratling traders. But switching to another alignment takes much more work than for other classes and will leave you with permanent damage even if you manage. Further, it's still a mystery what the goal of the game even is when playing one. Normal endings might well be impossible.

Those factors make them challenging and interesting to play imo. Plus, the crowning gifts seem to be very unusual and pretty awesome.

Grey
12-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Just found an eternium two-hander in the SMC on a Candle drakeling chaos knight :D

Grey
12-08-2012, 02:29 AM
Eek, chatting with Hawkslayer makes him hostile! This is baaaaad!

grobblewobble
12-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Ignacio had received the spiked armor of terror and chaos as crowning gift, too. From his game it appears that the armor doesn't corrupt. That makes it err.. a bit better than other armors. Although it has not been greater identified yet afaik, the known stats are:

spiked armor of chaos and terror (-6, -12) [-6, +40] {St+10} [400s]
=fire -acid -cold
Unholy aura effect

If that is really all there is to it and there are no hidden drawbacks I am not aware of, that's just too good to be true. It does not curse or doom, that much is certain.

Maybe wearing it draws your alignment towards chaotic, then? If that is the case, it would make chaos knights that have been crowned N= or L+ fall from grace if they wear it too long, which might make a happy end of the game impossible.

_Ln_
12-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Ignacio had received the spiked armor of terror and chaos as crowning gift, too. From his game it appears that the armor doesn't corrupt. That makes it err.. a bit better than other armors. Although it has not been greater identified yet afaik, the known stats are:

=fire -acid -cold
Unholy aura effect

If that is really all there is to it and there are no hidden drawbacks I am not aware of, that's just too good to be true. It does not curse or doom, that much is certain.

Maybe wearing it draws your alignment towards chaotic, then? If that is the case, it would make chaos knights that have been crowned N= or L+ fall from grace if they wear it too long, which might make a happy end of the game impossible.

I'm pretty sure it should be restricted to Chaos Knights only.

Carter
12-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Does anyone have some concrete info on how much being crowned C- adds to corruption?

saved khelly, scrolls work fine which is good, finally rid of the darkness corruption. Deciding if i should push on with an ultra, see what happens at the gate, or just go back to C- and get crowned.. hmm.

btw starting without literacy is a real bore

Carter
12-08-2012, 09:43 AM

=fire -acid -cold
Unholy aura effect

i don't think it would be wise to stay N=, it seems to abuse STR?

Soirana
12-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Does anyone have some concrete info on how much being crowned C- adds to corruption?

saved khelly, scrolls work fine which is good, finally rid of the darkness corruption. Deciding if i should push on with an ultra, see what happens at the gate, or just go back to C- and get crowned.. hmm.

btw starting without literacy is a real bore

3-3.5 corruption? C- used to add ongoing corruption percentage in older versions too i believe.

grobblewobble
12-08-2012, 11:13 AM
i don't think it would be wise to stay N=, it seems to abuse STR?

Ah, I see. Hadn't noticed that yet. I wonder if the "pain in your stomach" damage is negated by Immune to Pain?

Jursk
12-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Sacrificed weapons with a trollish chaos knight, message came "...is consumed by black flames. Andor Drakon seems to be pleased" but when the gift is not accepted "Vagrak doesnt seem interested in your offer".
Normal behaviour? havent really been playing with C-chars before.

Kyreles
12-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Sacrificed weapons with a trollish chaos knight, message came "...is consumed by black flames. Andor Drakon seems to be pleased" but when the gift is not accepted "Vagrak doesnt seem interested in your offer".
Normal behaviour? havent really been playing with C-chars before.

I noticed similar messages with an orc. "The One Who Kills" is happy about some things, and Drakon about others. Perhaps a bug you should report?

grobblewobble
12-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Definitely sure that the armor doesn't corrupt now. My latest chaos knight (who received the armor again) spent 10k turns farming stoma and did not receive any new corruptions.

Spellweaver
12-08-2012, 03:31 PM
40 PV almost for free. Plus other valuable intristics...
And now there is no crowning-only artifacts... This surely is top armor of all and, possibly, top artifact.

It's a pity that I didn't do a donation and can only see how you all enjoy.

BenMathiesen
12-08-2012, 10:44 PM
I have the impression from a recent, short-lived CK that Poison Hands no longer changes potions to poison. Which makes sense, their being in glass vials and all. Not sure about drinking them though.

Ben

paivi
12-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Are chaos knights supposed to not heal naturally *at all*? Had an orcish CK that didn't seem to heal any HP naturally during at least 1000 turns, possible during the entire run of the game (only paid attention to the lack of healing at level 10). Ended up running around the wilderness until starvation, and still not a point of natural healing... And this with the Candle starsign, of all things. Nothing in the equipment that could have hampered healing either.

Might it have been an undocumented effect of one of the corruptions?
- Your bodily tissues seem to be in a state of decay requiring a lot of will
to stay up.
- You have grown a total of 12 eyes.
- You have grown a bulging cranium.
- You sweat blood.

aerol
12-08-2012, 11:16 PM
I have the impression from a recent, short-lived CK that Poison Hands no longer changes potions to poison. Which makes sense, their being in glass vials and all. Not sure about drinking them though.

Poison hands on chaos knights seems to apply only sometimes when picking up potions and food, but all the time when you drink or eat.

Carter
12-09-2012, 04:20 AM
Uh the level 18 power is rather.... powerful. You can go straight up to grand mastery every couple of rounds.

Soirana
12-09-2012, 11:12 AM
I would strongly suggest not to push Ctrl-x after level 32....

Soirana
12-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Warnig definetely spoily, learned by realopading old save files
chaos knights don't need stuff like extreme corruption, lv50 and so on to pass chaos gate. Seems one check to wear insignia upon entering Andy palace by Andor Drakon himself.

aerol
12-09-2012, 03:19 PM
So far three crowning gifts have been found: Foeslammer, spiked armor of chaos and terror and Death's Blade.

Soirana
12-09-2012, 03:41 PM
So far three crowning gifts have been found: Foeslammer, spiked armor of chaos and terror and Death's Blade.

Isn't Foeslammer Death's Bade replacement for chaos knight?

CauseI've got some I believe Foeslammer and it is named Death Blade in post mortem log.

Edit: sorry just memmory not serving right.

paivi
12-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Some people get cool armor, some people get Foeslammer... and some get a goddamn chunky piece of footwear:

blessed moloch boots (named) (-6, -10) [-10, +24] {Dx-8} (-8 spd) [2500s]

Not really worth the stiff muscles corruption accompanying it, methinks.

BTW, does anyone else find training strength somewhat difficult with chaos knights?

grobblewobble
12-09-2012, 07:46 PM
The difference in power level between crowning gifts is enormous. Then again, same goes for archers and paladins.

There might be good intrinsics on the boots, though?

paivi
12-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Don't know about intrinsics, but the stupid boots also smash altars if worn while stepping on one. Grrrreat! :rolleyes:

grobblewobble
12-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Think positive! It saves your life if you are randomly teleported onto a C altar. :p

Dogbreath
12-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Tywatt Pare still gives you money for turning in appropriate corpses. Bug?

aerol
12-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Tywatt Pare still gives you money for turning in appropriate corpses. Bug?

It could be intentional.

grobblewobble
12-11-2012, 01:08 AM
I found an NPC who is friendly for a change!

The ghost librarian hands out the quest for the weird tome as normal. This is extremely useful, because he also raises your literacy skill to a very high value. And the scrolls of course, oh the scrolls.

aerol
12-11-2012, 01:34 AM
About a certain armor

grobblewobble
12-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Turns out that the mad minstrel doesn't accept the weird tome if you're C.

Grey
12-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Ouch! That sounds... unfair actually. What message does he give? Report it, maybe?

grobblewobble
12-11-2012, 10:54 AM
Ouch! That sounds... unfair actually. What message does he give? Report it, maybe?

He says "Have you seen the man with the harmonica? Because I need him right now."

This is probably the standard message when he is hostile.

It could be intentional, I don't know. Being able to raise literacy with the help of the ghost librarian is really nice, even without getting the scrolls. It is still possible to convert to N and complete the weird tome quest later on. That is only impossible when you want to finish as OCG and get crowned early, like me.

But to be honest I'm afraid that Thomas just forgot about the librarian and that the fact that you can receive the weird tome from him while C in the first place is the actual bug.

Grey
12-11-2012, 11:14 AM
The Mad Minstrel always seemed a bit chaotic leaning to me, so it seems strange that you can't interact with him. Also, his songs should be available to all PCs.

Soirana
12-11-2012, 11:30 AM
That is only impossible when you want to finish as OCG and get crowned early, like me.

You asking for lots of pain to generate PoCC.

Spellweaver
12-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Some people get cool armor, some people get Foeslammer... and some get a goddamn chunky piece of footwear:

blessed moloch boots (named) (-6, -10) [-10, +24] {Dx-8} (-8 spd) [2500s]

Not really worth the stiff muscles corruption accompanying it, methinks.

Have you tried this one on D:49?

grobblewobble
12-11-2012, 11:36 AM
You asking for lots of pain to generate PoCC.

I retrieved the guaranteed one. ;-)

from the minotaur quest

Soirana
12-11-2012, 01:08 PM
I retrieved the guaranteed one. ;-)

that precisely counts as pain.

grobblewobble
12-11-2012, 01:13 PM
that precisely counts as pain.

Hehe.. thanks. I did the bug temple beforehand, so with the magic mapping it wasn't too bad. SIL is turning out worse. Of course a lightning lizard destroys my seven league boots from just out of sight range when I'm about to walk all the way back. :mad:

sqrt-1
12-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Just got crowned with Grod, so now we know four of the possible crowning gifts.

As a side note I'm bit at a loss, because all my normal methods for gaining levels are blocked. Grod definitely makes ToEF easier, but I'm still don't think level 12 drakeling should try that just jet

aerol
12-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Five. Don't forget Death's Blade.

sqrt-1
12-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Five. Don't forget Death's Blade.

Oh right. Five it is. So one more unknown left (If there are full six possibilities).

aerol
12-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Some more mid/late game spoilers:

- The eternal guardian will not cooperate with chaos knights and neither will the mad minstrel, however, the ghost librarian will.
- Chaos knights can enter the assassins guild without being teleported away once.
- A chaos knight does not need to be extremely corrupted to enter the chaos plane.

SirTheta
12-12-2012, 02:39 AM
Very interesting information on the assassin's guild, aerol. Guess you better snag your booze beforehand :)

grobblewobble
12-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Once you convert away from C you "feel fiery pain in your stomach!" and will take damage periodically.

Once your toughness and / or innate PV are high enough (not sure which), you no longer take damage. Instead you get a periodical message "Aching pains wreck your bowels!", but it has no effect.

Grey
12-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Irritable Bowel Syndrome - the true price of ChAoS...

Chris
12-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Does it still abuse St? I never noticed it before, but someone wrote that it did.

grobblewobble
12-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Being neutral doesn't, at least. I even gained a point of strength after being NC for a long time (maybe from athletics).

Aielyn
12-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Once your toughness and / or innate PV are high enough (not sure which), you no longer take damage. Instead you get a periodical message "Aching pains wreck your bowels!", but it has no effect.

Check to see if being non-Chaotic affects your satiation decay.

Soirana
12-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Some more mid/late game spoilers:

- Chaos knights can enter the assassins guild without being teleported away once.

Not true. At very elast not on any conditions I've saw so far

Does it still abuse St? I never noticed it before, but someone wrote that it did.
Chaos knight + neutral allignment was like -2 all stats untill allignemnt went back to there it belongs. No sign of any abuses.

sqrt-1
12-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Are chaos knights supposed to not heal naturally *at all*? Had an orcish CK that didn't seem to heal any HP naturally during at least 1000 turns, possible during the entire run of the game (only paid attention to the lack of healing at level 10). Ended up running around the wilderness until starvation, and still not a point of natural healing... And this with the Candle starsign, of all things. Nothing in the equipment that could have hampered healing either.

Might it have been an undocumented effect of one of the corruptions?
- Your bodily tissues seem to be in a state of decay requiring a lot of will
to stay up.
- You have grown a total of 12 eyes.
- You have grown a bulging cranium.
- You sweat blood.

I currently have drakish CK who also seems to suffer from this problem. I'm also not sure if this has been going on the whole game. But at the last 2000 turns there has been no regeneration. My PC also has the decaying tissue corruption (others are different). I'd say at the moment that's the most likely culprit. Would this be worth reporting? Even though the effect might be intentional, i my opinion no regeneration at all for > 2000 turns it quite harsh.

grobblewobble
12-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Yes, it's the decay corruption that does this.

MegatonMan
12-12-2012, 11:24 PM
I lost all my equipment trying to convert an altar. Learned that Chaos Knights get a bonus while Berserk with no armor. Lust for blood, just like the Barbarians.

Mobius
12-12-2012, 11:29 PM
I spent a long, long time (it seemed at least) trying to convert my C.K. - whip, sac small gold, offering peace. Never even left C-.
It's hard to change.

grobblewobble
12-12-2012, 11:36 PM
As Chris said, about 200 gp sacced one by one will do the job.

edit: I know, this is mind numbing to do. I submitted an RFE for something more interesting: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1426

Although if it's made impossible altogether that would be fine with me, too. Just the way it works now is both dull and too good to pass up.

Mobius
12-12-2012, 11:39 PM
I whipped my hitpoints down by 30 about 15 times.
Sacrificed gold 10 at a time, forgot how many times.

I had read somewhere that 10 or 20 was optimal - was wrong I guess. Ended up dying some other stupid way

JellySlayer
12-13-2012, 12:50 AM
I lost all my equipment trying to convert an altar. Learned that Chaos Knights get a bonus while Berserk with no armor. Lust for blood, just like the Barbarians.

All classes except monks can do this. Very useful for classes like thieves and mindcrafters.

aerol
12-13-2012, 02:06 AM
The level 32 class power is a random bonus to PV rolled every turn.

grobblewobble
12-13-2012, 04:01 AM

It's actually a check for fire resistance.

Unforgiven82
12-13-2012, 04:09 AM
Seems I'm the first to disover something in adom (or at least report it here ;) )

Sixth crowning gift:

blessed crowned spiked helmet of chaos lordship (+3, +0) [+2, +12] {St+6} [90s]

I have to say that crowned imo isn't a proper adjective to describe a helmet but who am I to say how ChAoS names its stuff.

edit: blessed greater Id reads as follows (I'm so loving the name of this item):
-------- blessed crowned spiked helmet of chaos lordship (+3, +0) [+2...--------

It is an artifact.

When worn it modifies DV by +2 and PV by +12.
When used in melee... *snipped nothing to see here*

It modifies your strenght attribute by +6.
It spreads terror. It grants resistance to sleep attacks.
It grants the ability to see invisible things.
It grants the ability to breathe water.

Carter
12-13-2012, 06:05 AM
looks good.

i wonder if these chaos knight artifacts are now in the random pool??

i'm guessing so because the silver key showed up in a recent game.

Narsil
12-13-2012, 10:35 AM
- The eternal guardian will not cooperate with chaos knights and neither will the mad minstrel, however, the ghost librarian will.

also Shaarad-Waador ignores CK, so forget about Sting (not that anyone cares...)

SirTheta
12-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Hm, does that mean an Ultra is not possible, then?

Alucard
12-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Big There's special win text for ULE and UNE for CKs, and it is:
EVEN BIGGER committed to the ultimate sacrifice by closing the Chaos Gates thusly ending %s existence
##############################%s further fate:
After closing the Chaos Gates your connection to your vile dimensions of creation ceases to exist. For a moment you feel as if your existence is cmpletely snuffed out. But due to the powerful symbol you become in Ancardia for the forces of Order the pantheons of Order and Balance recreate your personage. You are uplifted to the status of an Avatar of %s and the tales of your deeds are spread all over Ancardia.
Your deeds are recounted at camp fires and interpreted by philosophers and priests alike. The common man looks up to you and you slowly start to be revered as a minor power of %s. After a few millennia have passed you are raised to the position of a demi-god to guard and protect Ancardia from the forces of Chaos and Balance forever.
With your help Ancardia becomes an orderly and organized world without striking changes. Peaceful order (and boredom?) spreads and the world enters an era of peace and tranquility never again leaving it.
Due to your continuing work behind the scenes of history Ancardia manages to remain an exciting and vivid world of adventure, Order and Chaos remaining in Balance and offering challenges for millennia to come. While you personally are forgotten over the millennia your inheritance remains forever infused in Ancardian lore and history.
There's also something for what is presumably closing the gate as N or L:Suddenly realization dooms... while the icy grip of Death takes hold of your body!
just closed your connection to the realms of your creation... effectively cutting your very life bond.
Your valiant sacrifice has stopped the incursion of ChAoS!
Bards for centuries will sing of your noble sacrifice and immortalize your deeds!
The gods of Balance and Order eventually decide to welcome you among their ranks as an example of being abe to overcome insurmountable odds.
Thus you are truly immortalized!

Soirana
12-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Sincerely i do not believe ULE as chaos knight is within realm of sanity.

which means it is good target for... some creative planning.

Alucard
12-13-2012, 07:58 PM
The manual entry is now out with p7

CHAOS KNIGHTS -- Chaos knights are the dark war leaders of the legions
of Chaos. Former members of the common races they have fallen to the lure
of Chaos, having become corrupted and tempted. Now they serve as
might warriors and brutal fighters on the war-torn battlefields of
Ancardia. Clad in mighty armors, wielding brutal weapons they slay
their foes left and right and cherish the brutal massacres in which
they partake. They are lost to Law and Balance and their only aspiration
is to become the mightiest warriors of Chaos, potentially ursurping
their leaders and toppling their reign to instill an even more brutal
regime.

Chaos knights are trained in the following skills: Athletics,
Backstabbing, Dodge, Find Weakness and Two Weapon Combat.

The more powerful chaos knights become the more effectively they wield
the forces of Corruption. At level 6 chaos knights being to regenerate
wounds when they become infused with corruption. At level 12 they receive
a speed bonus of +1d(level) (determined each turn anew). At level 18
they gain a weapon skill level bonus of +1d8 with each melee weapon
they wield (determined each turn anew). At level 25 they receive a random
bonus of +1d(number of corruptions) to Strength, Dexterity and Toughness
(determined each turn anew). At level 32 corruption starts to work
more slowly on chaos knights (only 50% effectiveness if they have 10
or more corruptions, only 75% effectiveness if they have 5 or more
corruptions). At level 40 they receive a damage bonus of +1d(level)
when fighting with two-handed melee weapons (determined anew each turn).
At level 50 they receivea PV bonus of +4d6 (determined anew each turn).

aerol
12-13-2012, 10:21 PM
This is interesting as I started noticing random fluctuations on PV at level 32.

Carter
12-13-2012, 11:59 PM
This is interesting as I started noticing random fluctuations on PV at level 32.

not just the level 18 class power?

Unforgiven82
12-14-2012, 12:52 AM
I was just crowned with a staff of Creation (+4, 4d6+4) [+9, +1] {Wi+16} 20s

edit: and as soon realized that it must be a special for mist elves

Carter
12-14-2012, 01:05 AM
I was just crowned with a staff of Creation (+4, 4d6+4) [+9, +1] {Wi+16} 20s

edit: and as soon realized that it must be a special for mist elves
+16 WI wowwwwwwww

how did you manage it with a chaos knight mist elf?

Unforgiven82
12-14-2012, 01:46 AM
Very well actually (being able to learn spells is a great way to counter some of the nasty effects of corruption) untill the game crashed while I was getting a postcrowning. Ate a stomacemptia, alt tabbed to report that they don't work on mist elves, alt tabbed back to check how many turns had passed since I noticed I wasn't getting rid of being satiated, found the game totally unresponsive. Had to kill it with task manager. Will try to write a bug report the best I can. Never got insight nor greater id and no backup saves.

Carter
12-14-2012, 02:17 AM
crowned by gathering enough $$$?

Unforgiven82
12-14-2012, 02:36 AM
crowned by gathering enough $$$?

Crowned by live saccing. Mist elves don't seem to ever get hungry so just waited next to the altar calling for anyone willing to sacrifice themselves to Andy and they just kept on coming. With other races this can be done if you find some stomafillia or just buy the food. I've almost always done crownings like this rather than gold or stoma saccing.

grobblewobble
12-14-2012, 11:39 AM
For the record, if it wasn't clear: once you are neutral, all your problems with NPC's are over. Ratlings will suddenly trade with you again, thrundarr gives out his quests normally, the eternal guardian will cooperate, etc etc. I tried to make this clear in the wiki but the layout could use a cleanup.

wzq
12-14-2012, 11:56 AM
For the record, if it wasn't clear: once you are neutral, all your problems with NPC's are over. Ratlings will suddenly trade with you again, thrundarr gives out his quests normally, the eternal guardian will cooperate, etc etc. I tried to make this clear in the wiki but the layout could use a cleanup.

Do CK class powers apply with neutral or lawful alignment?
I think it would be logical if CKs could use their powers only when they have proper chaotic alignment.

grobblewobble
12-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Class powers work normally. I haven't tested lawful alignment, though. Not sure if it is entirely the same as neutral.

anon123
12-14-2012, 05:20 PM
I think it would be logical if CKs could use their powers only when they have proper chaotic alignment.

I suggested that on IRC yesterday. That way you can selfishly convert for a short time to reap the rewards of a non-C alignment, then go back to your old ways (which sounds in line with what an evil character would do), but long-term conversion wouldn't be an option. And sacrificing yourself by closing the gate as a non-chaotic would mean even more, as you don't have your class powers to help you in the fight.

grobblewobble
12-17-2012, 01:55 PM
The ancient scythe is a really nice weapon for a chaos knight. The corruption effect works like a weapon of vampirism, but it doesn't change alignment.

anon123
12-17-2012, 02:28 PM
but it doesn't change alignment.

I'm fairly sure using the scythe is a chaotic act. I once changed alignment to N- to get the scrolls from the mystic, and after taking the scythe for a joyride (which I usually never do, but I was bored with this particular PC), I went all the way down to C.

aerol
01-04-2013, 02:20 PM
About a certain pair of boots

Kyreles
01-04-2013, 07:01 PM
I noted it somewhere else, but can't remember where. Moloch's Thorns also allow you to walk across D49. You cannon propel yourself (with a Potion of Uselessness, for example) while wearing them. You can either walk with them on, or take them off and throw stuff.

paivi
01-23-2013, 08:46 PM
The uncursed scythe of corruption "Moon Sickle" (+6, 10d4+6) [+2, +2] is consumed by black flames. Andor Drakon favours you.

I'm not sure if this message already existed in previous prereleases and whether it's just Chaos Knights who may receive it, but what does it actually do? Seems to be the Chaos Knight equivalent of 'absolutely close', although I'm fairly certain they used to get the normal message last time I got crowned in p9.

JellySlayer
01-23-2013, 09:08 PM
You can have "-god- favours you" and "-god- greatly favours you". I think these are just status that are higher than very close but lower than extremely/absolutely close.

Arbot
01-24-2013, 09:42 PM
I've received the favour messages with a ratling thief so it isn't unique to chaos knights. Probably just a new message.

SirTheta
01-24-2013, 10:04 PM
It is part of more feedback from gods RFE (sorry, don't remember actual name). New behavior for everyone.

grobblewobble
06-28-2013, 04:22 PM
It turns out that taking the Immune to Pain talent to reduce the pain in your stomach to zero (when you changed alignment and have no resistance to fire) works.