PDA

View Full Version : Windows restarted itself & now Adom is broken :(

criticalmaas
01-11-2013, 02:23 AM
This is more tech support than game play unfortunately, sorry all - I can't play or I'd be posting about that! I've played ADOM since Windows 95 - now using Win 7 - and had ADOM running when the computer did an auto-restart for updates (ack!) & now the program launches & closes pretty instantly. I've restarted again but am pretty much useless/stumped. Does anyone know how to fix this? Should I uninstall/reinstall, & if so, will saved games still work?

Thanks for reading! I just got Boots of the Divine Messenger for the first time so am rather bummed at the prospect of losing that game to technical illiteracy rather than the usual idiotic death :S boo and hoo!!!!

anon123
01-11-2013, 02:41 AM
If you're playing version 1.1.1, open the adom_dat folder in the same directory and delete adom.prc. For 1.2.0, check the second link in my signature. Prerelease 5 does away with the adom.prc file, which means this problem is gone. :)

In either case, I'm afraid to say your character cannot be recovered. It's okay to restore from a backup in this case though, if you have one.

criticalmaas
01-11-2013, 03:03 AM
If you're playing version 1.1.1, open the adom_dat folder in the same directory and delete adom.prc. For 1.2.0, check the second link in my signature. Prerelease 5 does away with the adom.prc file, which means this problem is gone. :)

In either case, I'm afraid to say your character cannot be recovered. It's okay to restore from a backup in this case though, if you have one.

And we're back in the game!!! Cheers! Thank you!! I still have my super boots (yay!!), lost some progress but just glad to be able to play (have never finished the game in all this time but it never gets old!). Oh, thank you!!! Is there a helpfile that documents some tech support stuff like this? I can follow instructions but first have to have them - & while helpful people are fabulous, teaching oneself is something I should really work on!!

anon123
01-11-2013, 03:09 AM
You're welcome :)

I suppose the manual and mini-FAQ included within the game might qualify as what you're looking for.

criticalmaas
01-11-2013, 03:37 AM
You're welcome :)

I suppose the manual and mini-FAQ included within the game might qualify as what you're looking for.

You're probably right, although I feel like I'm pretty familiar with the content in the manual...am I missing where it covers troubleshooting & removing the adom.prc file?

anon123
01-11-2013, 12:48 PM
The mini-FAQ mentions this:

VI.A. General troubleshooting.
==============================

Two major sources of problems with ADOM are known:

3. Turning off the computer without quitting ADOM beforehand.

This will prevent ADOM from cleaning up its file structure.
There might be all kinds of problems as a consequence. The
least you can do is to delete 'adom.prc'.

criticalmaas
01-11-2013, 02:42 PM
well color me chagrined - heh, totally obedient morons aren't only computers. Thanks for setting me straight, again!

aerol
02-23-2013, 09:47 AM
The current public prerelease (1.2.0p5 (http://www.ancardia.com/download.html)) no longer suffers from this problem.