PDA

View Full Version : Chit-Chat thread.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
06-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Forum is quite and stable. Almost nothing changes except for some challenges (Thanks to guys who supports them). ADOM is totaly naked. Everything (almost) is known and there is no more precious secrets in the game. Ok I didn`t win, yet and I don`t know if I will win anyday but there is almost nothing to speak about.. A couple of posts appears during the day, and sometimes even a new thread.. in which some guy like myself is asking question that was answered several times on this forum, and hundred times on others.
and I still pressing F5 every 30 mins to check it. So guys! Lets communicate! Lets speak about politics for example? We all (I suppose all) are RPG players, we all can play different roles, and we surely have rich imagination and our own opinion about the events in the world. And I think we could know each other closer. You know, I already tried to imagine some of the visitors of this Forum (Adomites :-D). Some of them are friendly, some are not very friendly, but anyway they surely are good people.
So I`ll try to start.

They say that America is arming and training georgians and the second war is imminent...
damn!

Grey
06-10-2009, 05:13 PM
I'll be in America in less than 24 hours! Woooo!

Also there's not end to Russian paranoia... or American paranoia for that matter. I wouldn't be surprised if they both have troop training going on around Ossetia, and they each have spies amongst the ranks, and spies amongst the spies...

Epythic
06-10-2009, 10:32 PM
We all (I suppose all) are RPG players,
Somehow this made me wonder how well a forum-based pen-and-paper RPG (ok, not really pen/paper, but you get what i mean) would work? "Play a PnP-RPG (in reallife)" is still on my todo list, but wouldnt it be cool if we could play ADOM's story (or something related to ancardia and/or the drakelor chain) here? I bet the choice of character (race/class/...) would tell a lot about each player.

What do you think about this idea? Bad idea? Good idea? *crosses fingers*

They say that America is arming and training georgians and the second war is imminent...
damn!

War sucks. Yeah, damn.

Other than that, I bet we (civilians) dont really know anything of whats really going on. Although I really wish I knew "all those super-secret stuff", I bet its really interesting.

Yay! Have fun!

Sidrick
06-10-2009, 11:12 PM

Slightly in advance of your arrival, but welcome to Mass!

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
06-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Epythic, forum RPG`s are common thing in interenet, and I think, It would be great to have one here. I have a setting for pnp RPG in ancardia (i used it to play with my pals) but we played on our hand made system. I would gladly given the setting to some master who knows all mechanics and mathematics of adom system. Its very like the adom itself, except the game starts after the closing of the Gate. Adventurers wake up in the depth of the CoC near the closed gates, they see a lot of statues of another adventurers, corpses of balors, different gear scattered on the floor, petryfied Fistanarius (with some special features if interacted) and they start they way up to the surface.
I designed level generation system to play on paper, its not so big but the level 10x10 is quite enough for pen-and-paper, so there is items, herbs and monsters generation also.
The most funniest game was with 2 parties which were enemies and had to battle if they encounter each other. first party was chaotic followers of Lol`th and the second party was the orcish band of the folowers of The One Who Sees. it Was really funny game. )

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
06-11-2009, 08:28 AM

Also there's not end to Russian paranoia... or American paranoia for that matter. I wouldn't be surprised if they both have troop training going on around Ossetia, and they each have spies amongst the ranks, and spies amongst the spies...

Gee, I remember, I was in DC in 2003, I was drinking in some bar when barman declared that some gentleman ordered booze for everyone, So I decided to see who is that generous genleman.. It was a retired marine, the big guy, he was sitting near the bar table and read the thin book. It was something written by general Lafayet. (i`m sorry if I misprinted). So we started to talk, and he said that he was in Vietnam, then I said that I`m from Russia, And he started to tell something like: "Ow damn what the hell is wrong with this sick country? why do they let comunists in our cities? Son I killed your fathers back in Vietnam" I tried to explain him that Soviet Union is no more. But he continued saying something like "Enough of Enoughs" and "communistic threat" so I left him. Thats about paranoia, Grey ))

Epythic
06-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Epythic, forum RPG`s are common thing in interenet, and I think, It would be great to have one here.
Yay, thats exactly the reaction I've been hoping for :)

I would gladly given the setting to some master who knows all mechanics and mathematics of adom system.
Nobody (not even TB, remember when I told him that it was possible to win with a level 1 char?) knows everything about ADOM, but I think we would have to change quite a bit anyway. For example, a computer can do really complex calculations in a breeze, but for a PNP/Forum RPG that would probably be unpractical.

Its very like the adom itself, except the game starts after the closing of the Gate. Adventurers wake up in the depth of the CoC near the closed gates, they see a lot of statues of another adventurers, corpses of balors, different gear scattered on the floor, petryfied Fistanarius (with some special features if interacted) and they start they way up to the surface.
But if they are only in the CoC, wouldnt that be a bit boring? I mean, it doesnt really provide much opporunity for puzzles or something like that, does it? Also, all monsters would be already dead... And the game would get *easier* the higher they get. No, I dont think this could work.

I designed level generation system to play on paper, its not so big but the level 10x10 is quite enough for pen-and-paper, so there is items, herbs and monsters generation also.
I think for a forum RPG we would have to abandon grid-based maps. Or do you really want posts such as "I walk north."?

The most funniest game was with 2 parties which were enemies and had to battle if they encounter each other. first party was chaotic followers of Lol`th and the second party was the orcish band of the folowers of The One Who Sees. it Was really funny game. )
Good idea!

I think we (assuming that we actually do it and find enough players and DM's) could go for a normal regular/ultra ending game, but shorten it a bit so that the game doesnt concentrate on killing monsters. At least thats my general idea. Would need much more refinement of course.

Of course we should work out a ruleset together before we start, roguebasin (http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Main_Page) would be a good place for that. (note: for me, the development of such a thing would probably be at least as much fun as actually playing it, so... *crosses fingers*).

Sradac
06-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Somehow this made me wonder how well a forum-based pen-and-paper RPG (ok, not really pen/paper, but you get what i mean) would work? "Play a PnP-RPG (in reallife)" is still on my todo list, but wouldnt it be cool if we could play ADOM's story (or something related to ancardia and/or the drakelor chain) here? I bet the choice of character (race/class/...) would tell a lot about each player.

What do you think about this idea? Bad idea? Good idea? *crosses fingers*

War sucks. Yeah, damn.

Other than that, I bet we (civilians) dont really know anything of whats really going on. Although I really wish I knew "all those super-secret stuff", I bet its really interesting.

Yay! Have fun!

PBEM also work good to. done a couple of those.

also as far as secrets go, it wasnt discovered until recently what throwing a PoCC at andor drakon does. Thats when alchemist man challenge came up. i dont think anyones tried it, i know I havent. Potion merchants the best way to go for that one.

Epythic
06-11-2009, 08:25 PM
PBEM also work good to. done a couple of those.

Really? The most complex game I've played by email so far is chess.. ;)
In theory, email is not much different than a forum-based game, so this should work.

Did you experience any complications? You are talking about RPG's, right? Did you use a specific ruleset / if yes, which one?

Although I generally prefer mailing lists over forums, this forum is probably better-suited for this kind of thing, because we already have a lot of people watching this.

EDIT: The only problem that I see is that it might take quite a bit of time - I don't have too much time these days, sadly. But still, I'd love to give it a try.

gut
06-12-2009, 10:18 AM
> Lets communicate!

COMMUN-icate?

Kidding : )

> Lets speak about politics for example?

I was interested in politics until I realized it
was all about money. Politician = someone who is
good at making one group of people angry enough
at another group of people so that they will give
said politician their money to oppose said group.
It's a scam.

> They say that America is arming and training

See, that would cost big money, so I have a hard
time believing it. I have an easy time believing
politicians are scaring one group about another
group, so they can take them for all they're worth.

> georgians and the second war is imminent...

War costs money, and America is currently over 8
trillion gazillion $ in debt, partly because of
the war they already have going. America doesn't
want to spend the money, so don't worry.

> damn!

Don't react, that's what the feed on!

> I'll be in America in less than 24 hours! Woooo!

Grey, I wish I lived further north, so I could at
least make an ATTEMPT to kill you. : D

You know, I did experience a strange feeling of
nausia and foreboding around the time you were due
to arrive. At first I chalked it up to some bad
pizza or something, but now I know.

Grey
06-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Don't worry gut, I crossed the Atlantic ocean already - I'm happy to go a few hundred more miles to finally put you out of your misery. Hope you sleep well... ;)

Sradac
06-12-2009, 07:22 PM
AD&D, in the forgotten realms. One short game took about 2 days to complete. Was fun I guess.

Sradac
06-12-2009, 07:24 PM
They also say, with america ceasing all analog TV signals and switching over to Digital the US government plans to use that frequency that has been freed up. They say they will use that frequency to project a hologram in the sky of the second comming of Jesus, which will trigger a nuclear war, which will disarm the world of its weapons to make way for an alien invasion since we wont be able to fight back.

Seriously, there really ARE people that think that!

Epythic
06-12-2009, 09:47 PM
One short game took about 2 days to complete.
Of course that would depend on how long per day you play.
I intended this ADOM-Forum-RPG to take place... maybe over a couple of months or years, with changing players/DM's.

They also say, with america ceasing all analog TV signals and switching over to Digital the US government plans to use that frequency that has been freed up. They say they will use that frequency to project a hologram in the sky of the second comming of Jesus, which will trigger a nuclear war, which will disarm the world of its weapons to make way for an alien invasion since we wont be able to fight back.

Seriously, there really ARE people that think that!

Stupid. Although both light and radiowaves are electromagnetic waves, theres a big difference in the wavelengths. One can't "project a hologram in the sky" by means of those radio waves. (And it would be hard if not impossible to do even with visible light)

And if one could, there would be no reason to do the analog -> digital switch. Just shut down the analog TV signals with no prior warning. Would probably also have a better effect.

The part about "Jesus triggering a nuclear war" I don't understand too, if the US wanted a nuclear war, they could just do it - they have the stuff (I bet). And their old friend russia would surely want to join the fun, so no problems even without jesus :)

Disarm the world of its weapons? No, no, not the US government. Not a chance. Not that it wouldnt be nice :)

Also, an alien invasion would probably start by nuking the earth *from orbit* - I bet they too heard that it's the only way to be sure. Not some stupid war on the ground.

Side note: Just the act of coming here is already a demonstration of massively superior technology - I really doubt we'd have a chance against such a race, and I don't think it would be wise to try.

No, for most things there is *someone* who believes it, but sorry, I don't think *anyone* believes *this*. Except you, of course ;)

And the analog->digital switch is probably mainly to get more money out of the consumers (all this DRM crap, for example)...

Sadface
06-13-2009, 10:54 AM
*straps my fists to my back and heads out for some adventure*

gut
06-13-2009, 10:20 PM
> alien invasion would probably start by nuking the earth *from orbit*

I doubt it. Those nukes are sooo messy. Just think about the
cleanup afterward, and the best infrastructure would be
completely destroyed. Personally, I would go with a good old
fashioned plague. Come to think of it, by that logic, I'd say the
aliens have already tried to get rid of us several times. We're
like cockroaches though, we can adapt to anything with enough
time, and just grow stronger because of it. The bio-engineered
plagues with which they have afflicted us have only built up our
immune systems to the point that we will soon be to earth
creatures what antibiotic resistant strains of staph are to normal
germs. The aliens prolly figure nukes wouldn't have a chance of
actually killing us off, but instead would just build up our
immunity to radiation. Soon we will have aqcuired the -plag and
-rad resistances, and become a race of super warriors that will
rule the entire cosmos because of those nuts, but until then we'll
just play ADOM : )

Epythic
06-13-2009, 10:57 PM
> but until then we'll just play ADOM : )

...which was really made not by TB but by the aliens (TB only thinks he made it), and they gave it to us to distract us from their invasion. : )

Alternative version: TB is really an alien...

gut
06-14-2009, 06:54 PM
I am sure that the aliens created tetris for the
same purpose.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
06-15-2009, 08:10 AM
They (I mean our govs) mess up with digital TV over here too.. Gee why do they do this? In province we still have just 2 channels, both of them goverment ones.. people are gnarling looking at fat rich moscow life. (I prefered not to gnarl but to move here, yay it`s nice here (-:! )
What about alien invasion I think it strongly depend of their traditions, way of life and just wisdom.
Some of them would prefer to crush us in honest massacre, some of them to bomb us away. Some of them are probably are living inside us and we are already their slaves. )) I remember classes of anathomy, the cell structure.. There are some small simbionts inside our cells they are working like power plants. I think they are called Mithohondryes (if I recall right). ))

gut
06-15-2009, 09:56 AM
> In province we still have just 2 channels,

In my house I have exactly no channels, and wouldn't
have it any other way.

> people are gnarling looking at fat rich moscow life.

In my opinion, being fat and rich is worse than being
middle weight and middle class.

> alien invasion I think it strongly depend of their traditions

Agreed. I would rather be conquered by the 'Predator'
aliens than the 'Alien' aliens any day of the week.
They'd give me an honorable death, even if they did
hang my head on a pike afterward.

> them are probably are living inside us and we are already their slaves

Well, I must be free of that then. There couldn't possibly
be an alien as lazy as me.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
06-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Damn! How can one breake an anvil? Especially by just throwing it???

It reminds me of one racist anecdote:
One arabian king captured three people - nigga, britain and rusian. He put them into three cells and gave 2 small metal balls. "Make something that I didn`t see ever before with them, and if you will surprise me I`ll let you go, or else!!" - he said.
On the next day he visited his prison to check what could they invent with this balls. Nigga was playing basketball. "Nah, that sucks put him on the stake" - king wasnt surprised with nigga`s basketball skills and so poor black guy was staked and met his miserable death. King decided to see what is happening in britains cell, but he just saw some parody on soccer but with metal balls... "Annihilate him with the acid!" was the order and the poor british guy was put in the pool with sulphuric acid, oh his cryes were loud and full of despair but he met his creator pretty soon. So pretty bored king went to the last cell to check his last chance for surprise for today but he saw that the russian guy is just sitting sadly over the wall..
"So you don`t want to show me something, you red, narcomanic, communistic swine?" - asked the king
"Sorry, I lost one ball" - said poor prisoner
"So what? you have another one! Show me something?"
"The other one.. err I broke it" - was the sad answer.

Sradac
06-15-2009, 08:24 PM
I think they are called Mithohondryes (if I recall right). ))

wait, metachlorians you mean? I knew Jedi were real...

Ya know, the Sith did disapear beyond the outer rim. Maybe the Sith are the alien invaders, here to spread corruption to our galaxy!

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
06-18-2009, 07:12 AM
They say that North Koreans are going to launch a nuke to Hawaii. Guys! Plan you vacation carefully! )))

Grey
06-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Ooh, that means it'll be nice and warm there...

gut
06-18-2009, 07:11 PM
North Koreans need to focus on finding a relyable
source of fuel. I say give nukes a try.

Epythic
06-18-2009, 09:49 PM
nuclear missile != nuclear power plant

Confusing them may lead to unintended side-effects...

Silfir
06-19-2009, 09:45 AM
"We can't give you oil, USA will spank us"
"Hmmm but we've got this lovely nuke here"
"So where did you want the oil again"

Epythic
06-19-2009, 12:02 PM
"So where did you want the oil again"

"o_O USA said that too"

It's an empty threat and everyone knows it. At least until the day where one nation breaks that 'rule' and actually fires a nuke. Which would probably start World War III.

gut
06-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Of course I meant power plant, not bomb.
I honestly don't see why so many people
get so stressed about countries like NK or
Iran developing nuclear power. I'm not
worried in the slightest. Even if they
develope a nuclear bomb, I'm still not
stressed. I don't like the idea of a bomb
test though, for environmental reasons. In
my eyes, develop is fine, test is not.

Thing
06-23-2009, 11:19 AM
I tend not to worry about nuclear power or bombs. Here in New Zealand nuclear power/bombs are illegal. I think the likely hood of a nuclear war is very low in my life time and even if there was one, who would nuke New Zealand? I'm sure we could just sit down here at the end of the earth and let the rest of the world ignore us. Probably no such luck for you guys in Europe and the USA though. The french would have probably had it comming. I agree with gut, power and bombs are fine just no testing.

Epythic
06-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I tend not to worry about nuclear power or bombs. Here in New Zealand nuclear power/bombs are illegal. I think the likely hood of a nuclear war is very low in my life time and even if there was one, who would nuke New Zealand? I'm sure we could just sit down here at the end of the earth and let the rest of the world ignore us. Probably no such luck for you guys in Europe and the USA though. The french would have probably had it comming. I agree with gut, power and bombs are fine just no testing.

I live in germany and as far as I know, there were plans to nuke us around '45. And one of the proposed targets was not really far from where I live. Thankfully it didnt happen, but this reminds me that no, I am not "somewhere else".

Of course at that time they had their reasons and its unlikely that it happens nowadays. But if some country not worrying about middle- and longterm effects gets access to nuclear weapons that is a risk.

OTOH, theres this "we have it, why should they not be allowed to have it too?" argument.

As for New Zealand, yeah, you are probably nice and safe there. For now.

gut
06-29-2009, 10:27 AM
My home in KY is very close to Oak Ridge Tennessee,
where the U.S. does a lot of (most of?) it's nuclear
weapons refining. I'm honestly a gazillion times more
worried about some local screw-up than any attack.

I've heard a rumor that France actually recycles their
nuclear waste. I don't know how true that is, but if it
is possible, I wish they would do that everywhere. I'm
also more worried about longterm nuclear material
storage than attack.

Soirana
06-29-2009, 11:04 AM
well, i live less than 120km from nuclear plant, which is actually same russian type as Chernobyl.... just more powerfull...

Ofcourse it has been modernised and so on... but that does not make me very happy.

Grey
06-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Hurrah for modern-day superstition. Instead of ghosts we worry about nuclear evils, without any clues about the facts.

Soirana
06-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Speak for yourself.

When that stupid thing exploded "radioactive cloud" went above my little country. We were next to official told to limit outdoor activities and later on warned not to gather certain plants and mushrooms which seemed to accumulate radioactive parts.

I alos know few guys who were involved in liquidating site of exnuclear plat just cause they were serving in Soviet army at moment.

There was also unofficial report about certain location cancers having spike of frequency about five years later.

That is very non ghost story for me.

Grey
06-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Chernobyl was a very individual case stemming from idiot Soviets trying to save every penny. Modern reactors have safety precautions that ensure such a thing can never happen again. Things like storing hundreds of tonnes of nuclear waste *above* your reactor core don't happen any more.

I also find it interesting how Chernobyl gets such attention when its overall death rate was extremely low compared to accidents in every other industry. Nuclear meltdowns tend to grab people's imaginations more I guess.

Not to downplay the dangers of nuclear technology of course. But the stigmatism attached to it in modern culture actually ensures that it is far far safer than any other industry due to the intense number of regulations. You'd be shocked by some of the things chemical factories get away with in Asia that the media never pays attention to...

Soirana
06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Chernobyl was a very individual case stemming from idiot Soviets trying to save every penny.

Actually it come from idiot operators. That type of reactors is still in use. We have two i believe with third being closed in development stages cause to some paranoics like me.

What about three mile accident when? If such thing never happened on your British islands that does not mean that does not happen. not so famous cases:

# NRX, Ontario, Canada, in 1952
# EBR-I, Idaho, USA, in 1955
# Windscale, Sellafield, England, in 1957 [mmm. British one]
# Santa Susana Field Laboratory, Simi Hills, California, in 1959
# SL-1, Idaho, USA in 1961. (US military)
# Enrico Fermi Nuclear Generating Station, Michigan, USA, in 1966
# Chapelcross, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, in 1967
# A1 plant at Jaslovsk? Bohunice, Czechoslovakia in 1977.

Low death ratio? Land surrounding Chernobyl it is still closed zone. You want me to give raw translation on local cancer frequency in years 5-10 after that in Ukraine?

The thing is chemical hazards can be dreadful, but they are short period and can be often sorted, nuclear ones give very long term problems.

gut
06-30-2009, 05:11 PM
> we worry about nuclear evils, without any clues about the facts.

We do? Nuclear power's safety record isn't as great
as you make it out to be, but I'm not a paranoid.
As Soirana mentioned, things are more reliant on
opperators than most would imagine. Let's be honest,
most countries that have nuclear power can't even
keep track of all of their weapons-grade plutonium.
This is supposed to inspire confidence? Regulations
may be written down nicely enough, but there is a
big difference between writing something and
enforcing it. Is there a single country that has
nuclear material that has handled it all properly,
or even kept track of it all? And this is nuclear
material that we're talking about here! It's not like
anyone can even claim to have an excuse.

I also don't like hearing developed countries
complain about the possibility of developing
countries not being able to keep their nuclear
materials to themselves. If we keep having the
same problem ourselves, what right do we have
to complain?

The long-term aspect is something that does boggle
my mind. I once heard a televised debate about the
problems associated with just LABELING a nuclear
waste site. It was filled with stuff I had never even
considered. Like the symbol we use for radiation may
be nearly universally recognizable now, but maybe
not so much 10,000 years from now. Who can predict
what may happen in that length of time?

Epythic
06-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Like the symbol we use for radiation may
be nearly universally recognizable now, but maybe
not so much 10,000 years from now. Who can predict
what may happen in that length of time?

I can: humans won't evolve too much in that timeframe.
Therefore put the symbol of a skull below the radiation symbol.
Problem solved? Maybe.

gut
07-01-2009, 02:28 AM
I wasn't meaning evolution : ) I was meaning maybe
something like running out of fossile fuels, and
reverting to a more primative existance. Also maybe
something like rampant war, famine, desease, stuff
like that. I know the probability is low, but it's a long
span of time...

The skull and crossbones was of course one of the
suggested ideas, countered with the thought that a
future culture may interpret that as a sign of a
burial ground : ) Quite enticing for a dig site...

Grey
07-01-2009, 04:41 AM
The thing is chemical hazards can be dreadful, but they are short period and can be often sorted, nuclear ones give very long term problems.

This is very true, and the big problem with nuclear fission. It's not generally what people worry about - they care more about invisible gamma rays giving them cancer. My point in general is that people are somehow less afraid of something they can see. The idea of some ghost-like killer scares them far more, leading to an extremely negative stigmatism around anything labeled "nuclear".

vogonpoet
07-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Like the family?

gut
07-02-2009, 12:54 PM
> people are somehow less afraid of something they can see.

What people are you talking about exactly? Don't give more
consideration to a 'vocal minority' than they diserve, which is
usually none.

Epythic
07-02-2009, 01:46 PM
invisible gamma rays

"Invisible" as opposed to what? Visible gamma rays?

I know, I know, its just an EM-wave, but as far as I recall the frequency range was mentioned somewhere in the definition of "gamma ray" :)

But always nice to know that theres something I do *not* need to worry about: visible gamma rays. Completely safe from them. I hope.

What people are you talking about exactly? Don't give more
consideration to a 'vocal minority' than they diserve, which is
usually none.

When Grey mentioned "ghost-like" killers I immediately thought of snipers. I've read that soldiers really hate enemy snipers. Yes, on wikipedia. ;)

Revim
07-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Hi, not even remotely on topic. But I thought I'd introduce myself. Erm, been playing adom on and off for a few years, never save scummed, never completed either. I stumbled upon it by accident. I continue to play now and then when I have time. Erm... Yeah that's about it.

Andy Williams
07-05-2009, 07:20 AM
an extremely negative stigmatism around anything labeled "nuclear".

When physicians started using magnetic resonance, they very wisely chose to call it MRI - magnetic resonance imaging. They didn't care that it had been around since the 1940s, used by chemists and physicists under the moniker NMR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_magnetic_resonance) - nuclear magnetic resonance, a rather more descriptive term for what is actually going on.

Epythic
07-05-2009, 02:13 PM
an extremely negative stigmatism around anything labeled "nuclear".

People fear what they don't understand.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
07-06-2009, 08:05 AM
I was in Urals these last two weeks, went to visit my parents. So I`ve read your talks and remembered a little town wich is pretty close to my city I was born in. It was called Semipalatinsk, and it had a nuclear testing ground. So since 1949 they were testing nuclear bombs there. They blasted 616 nuclear devices there - bombs, mines, rockets. But the first explosion was very cruel. Because after 8 hours after explosion 10 000 young soldiers were ordered to march through the centre of the place were bomb exploded. The goverment wanted to check the radiation effect on people, because japans didn`t want to share their information about medical consiquences of Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuking. (by the way we are still in official state of war with them since WWII, because we (or they) didnt sign a peace treaty :))

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
07-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Barak Obama visited my country. He brought an interesting proposal with him. "Hey guys, can you lower the number of your nukes, please? Our defence system that we are building in Poland and Czehks against you cannot guaranty us that you will not retaliate us, so common lets lower the number of nukes?"

Epythic
07-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Barak Obama visited my country. He brought an interesting proposal with him. "Hey guys, can you lower the number of your nukes, please? Our defence system that we are building in Poland and Czehks against you cannot guaranty us that you will not retaliate us, so common lets lower the number of your nukes?"

There, fixed it for you.

(just joking)

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
07-09-2009, 09:11 AM
http://cs1423.vkontakte.ru/u9638194/18588691/x_0f83901e.jpg
The enemy shall not pass! :)

gut
07-10-2009, 10:06 AM
So let's review a bit...

> It's not generally what people worry about - they care more
> about invisible gamma rays giving them cancer.
> extremely negative stigmatism around anything labeled "nuclear".

and

> When physicians started using magnetic resonance, they very
> wisely chose to call it MRI - magnetic resonance imaging.

and

> People fear what they don't understand.

So I repeat, WHAT PEOPLE are we talking about here? Is there
an invisible group of humans that make up the majority of our
population of which I am somehow unaware? The only people I
see overreacting to nuclear tech is hippies and government;
both are known for foolishness. Quit calling people irrational
chickens because they don't agree with you. People have good
reason to be suspicious of anything in the control of politicians.

I vividly remember a ~nice~ video they showed us in school
of a lovely young lady chewing food. It was an X-ray video, so
we got to see the food going all the way down and everything.
It wasn't until I grew up and saw a documentary on X-rays
that I learned what happened to that particular actress a few
years after making all those ~nice~ videos.

Have you ever walked down the halls of a hospital? The nuclear
symbol is all over the place. Nobody cares. They recieve X-rays
all the time. People have been told for a long time now that
radiation is produced from many home appliances like microwaves,
TV's, and PC monitors, and they still use them every day.

If people are worried about nuclear, it's not because of the
tech, it's because of knuckleheads that plague the powerful
positions in society. Let's remember that in the past, many
governments have intentionally afflicted their own citizens
and soldiers with diseases so that they may study the effects
of said diseases. Politicians recieve bribes to overlook citizen's
and soldier's safety on a dayly basis. If you don't know of any
stories of your own government doing these things, it's not
because they aren't doing it, it's because they are better at
consealment.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
07-11-2009, 12:31 AM
yeah buddy, we dont need to be afraid of nuklear. While govs can make money without war we will live in peace. Its all about money, its all about resourses :) Europe is a nice place to live I think. No resourses - no threat )

Grey
07-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Yeah, Europe has a very peaceful history ;)

gut
07-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Europe has plenty of resources. To my knowledge,
most of it's wars were due to resource conflicts, but
like American wars, there were always cover stories
to make it more palatable to the populace. Governments
don't seem to be able to recruit heavily upon the war
slogan of 'Send your kids to die for oil/cotten/whatever!"
They prefer instead "We can't let our enemies get away
with such attrocities!" Not even governments are foolish
enough to want nuclear war though...

Evil Knievel
07-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Europe has plenty of resources.

That's debatable, at least today. Most resources are more or less normally distributed over the planet, but Hidrocarbons are the exception. There is plenty of coal in Europe, but no oil. There is some metal, but most of it isn#t feasible at world market prices. That means, that the real big resources are elsewhere. Africa, Australia, Canada come to mind.

To my knowledge, most of it's wars were due to resource conflicts,...

That is something I have never checked, but I do not believe it. I think, most wars aimed at some sort of hegemony - establish it, break it, change it. Resources of course at some point become a mean of achieving that. In WWII, fuel for tanks was critical, hence the war was entended to oil fields near the black sea. Earlier, territory gain was important, but more for the prosperous tax-paying cities on it than the resources. Of course, some cities prosper because of recourses, but in pre-industrial times, trade was at least equally important. IMHO.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
07-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Europe has plenty of resources. To my knowledge,
most of it's wars were due to resource conflicts, but
like American wars, there were always cover stories
to make it more palatable to the populace. Governments
don't seem to be able to recruit heavily upon the war
slogan of 'Send your kids to die for oil/cotten/whatever!"
They prefer instead "We can't let our enemies get away
with such attrocities!" Not even governments are foolish
enough to want nuclear war though...
why, america always give cover stories to every war :)
its spreading of democracy usually or preventing the usage of horrorfull chemical or biological weapons(like in iraq) damn near the place I live, in 100 kms there is a secret city where "they" store a biological weapons )
i remember some joke about it
it sounded like:
- do you still have oil?
- we are going to be at your place soon
EDIT : (this was about real reasons of war with america)

Grey
07-12-2009, 04:25 AM
We have very similar jokes too. You should see the intro for "Have I Got News For You" on Youtube (it's a popular British satirical news quiz).

FantomFang
07-12-2009, 07:46 AM
I live in germany and as far as I know, there were plans to nuke us around '45. And one of the proposed targets was not really far from where I live. Thankfully it didnt happen, but this reminds me that no, I am not "somewhere else".

Of course at that time they had their reasons and its unlikely that it happens nowadays. But if some country not worrying about middle- and longterm effects gets access to nuclear weapons that is a risk.

OTOH, theres this "we have it, why should they not be allowed to have it too?" argument.

As for New Zealand, yeah, you are probably nice and safe there. For now.

Kind of late to the discussion, I thought I'd mention that I too am near or was near the site of a probably nuclear bombing. I live in Oklahoma, less than a half hour from Tinker Air Force Base, which I've heard was somewhere around #3 or so during the Cold War of "places to be nuked" should the unthinkable to occur, mainly because the bombs that were dropped in Japan were place on bombers that originated from here. Nice thought and all. At least one good thing comes of this...If I'm lucky, I won't feel a thing. :rolleyes:

gut
07-13-2009, 12:49 AM
> why, america always give cover stories to every war

Tradition by now, I suppose. Even back when we were
fighting amongst ourselves we were inventing rediculous
cover stories. The civil war wasn't about slavery, but the
South breaking the Union. It would be nice to not have
politicians insulting us as well as taking us to war.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
07-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Hey Guys! who have seen Terminator 4? What is your opinion about this movie?

Epythic
07-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Hey Guys! who have seen Terminator 4? What is your opinion about this movie?

Have not seen it and won't; trailer was waaay too bad.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
07-17-2009, 08:22 AM
now I have seen it myself. Puked in the movie theatre.

gut
07-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Are they up to 4 already. Hmm.
I haven't been to the theator since, um... um...

My breakdown of theators is like this:

1. Sit through a half hour of crap comercials,
which advertise, mainly, other crap movies.

2. Sit through a 2 hour long piece of boring
nonsense, that happens to be filled with additional
comercials.

3. I leave, thinking of all the other ways I
could have spent the last few hours.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
08-04-2009, 09:24 AM
This is a great holyday in our country. It is a day of Air Landing Forces. In this day people dressed in stripped T-shirts and blue caps are wandering in the streets aimlessly. They bath in the fountains and cry loudly different slogans like: "Glory to Russia!" "Death to Enemies!" or "Hail to the Air Landing forces!". Police is ordered not to bother them and allow to walk the streets drunk. To be honest police is trying not to meet them at all because it`s one of the best fun for troopers this day to kick somebodys ass (doesn`t matters whoose ass is this - policeman`s or civilians) Gosh I hate this bastards! That evening I was returning from the country barbeque and met couple of this troopers. I was with my girlfriend and bastards started to harass her offering join them and leave this looser (meaning me of course). I answered something in unpleasant way (offering them to fuck each other in nearest bushes) and they decided to smite me for my foolish ignorance. Luckily police patrol was walking nearby so I grabbed my girlfriend and gave her in the hands of justice. They refused to protect me but agreed to guide my girlfriend to Subway.
After that there was a long run with heavy backpack around Moscow. They chased me but I choosed crowded places to avoid being beated and they didn`t dare to attack because it was to many people around. The worst of all was that there were more of them in the streets and some decided to join the quest of beating the hell out of my pityfull ass. Finaly I found the bus that was on the station and was going to leave it so I jumped inside crying to the driver to close the door and he drove me away of inevitable vegenace of Air Landing guys.
http://pics.livejournal.com/push_kareff/pic/0004ypsh

gut
08-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Your post gave me nostalgia for 'Splunge',
a poster that used to frequent one of my
favorite MMA sites. Here's a few samples
of some of the gems he brought us from
time to time:

splunge

[ Exalt | Smite ] Ass Whupped
? Thread Started on May 7, 2008, 6:11pm ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I live in a section of LA that only has parking cops, it's too far away from LA for cops to come. This makes the city the favorite choice of escaped criminals or released cons done served their time.

With no available law enforcement these folk go roaming the streets trying to come up with a way to survive. They usually go brute. They get their kicks.

Some of these guys get territorial. They think the city is their cell and will fight away intruders. They do drugs like speed and steroids. A lot.

So there I am at Vons minding my own business trying to buy some beer and this unwashed little crook comes over and tries to get spare change from this hot babe in front of me in line.

I see he is giving prison hand signals to her, pretending it is an outstretched hand.

I snapped.

I shoved the checker out of the way and grabbed a roll of dimes and dove on him, punched his face all mushy and stamped his genitals. These are the same moves I used to great effect in prison, in Vons it's just worse, nobody will save you in Vons in this town, in prison there's sometimes a guard.

I have to admit it was thrilling just cowboy boot pointy toe kicking his temple until the cork pops out.

Then I put him in a rear naked leg choke and man the POP sound when his neck cranked too far the wrong way, it shut the whole store up.

This one jerk stared at me like I was circus freak so I let go and did a superpunch that converted to an elbow to the orbital eye socket, he went down fast and I had an idea.

I put their bodies in a male-on-male embrace so when the cops ever get there they have a laugh right off. ha

I guess what I'm trying to say is this town, you can't even go shopping anymore without some sort of nuisance.
---------------------------------------

> ...and

Street Toughs
? Thread Started on Nov 12, 2008, 9:24am ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A group of neighborhood orphans was sitting on the front porch of my Compton Brownstone, lamenting the prospects any of them ever celebrating a birthday with a party since none of them had parents an none of them had ever experienced a real party firsthand. The only party they had ever shared was that one in the kindergarten books with Dikc, Jane, Rex and Spot.

This prompted me to want to give them all the biggest, most dawg birthday party that any group of kids has ever had.

First, where? I live in a box on the roof and they'd all never fit. But from the roof I could see down into many close-by Compton alleyways sprinkled with many the local box dwelling.

There's the answer, so I grabbed my walking stick and set out to appropriate them in the name of the little children.

My walking stick is a broken ax handle. The foot of it I nailed on a cluster of old horseshoes, I cut an old hubcap up into these little triangle shapes sharpened on the sidewalk and strung and duct taped them twisted outward in impossible directions all over the nailed horseshoes. I dunked the whole magilla into a bucket of epoxy goop and sprinkled broken pieces of a bottle of bud all over it like a five o'clock shadow.

I don't remember much what happened next but I woke up in the alley next to my Brownstone on my stomach, surrounded by some twelve large boxes, my walking stick gone and my pants pulled down, butt stuck up in the air and a human eye stuck in the hole peering blankly outward, looked a little like that creature in Pan's Labyrinth. There was a twitching severed hand in my pant pocket that grabbed by unit and tried to dishrag the thing, I jumped up and started slugging myself in the crotch until the thing gave off a death rattle and collapsed unconscious to the bottom of the pocket.

I missed a ton of slugs though and my right hand jewel ended up torn away from all that the interior tubings, the left one like a stepped-on grape. But all that busy bee stuff left me very excited for some reason. My other pocket had a huge roll of duct tape and I went to work constructing a large box party room for these thankless little orphan nutsheads.

By the end of the day I had this giant imposing party room with even boy and girl 'bathrooms' with little shoebox toilets; I even cut little windowflaps to let the stink out. No expense spared. Meanwhile I had collected discarded slices of trash bread and assembled/them them into a sort of birthday party cake with a handful of cigarette butts stuck in like candles. I wheeled up a trash in and bingo the House of Horrors.

And my clown costume was ingenious. I used to BE a clown but hung up my nose in despair after that year in prison, so it was a great psychological achievement for me to don it again finally after all those years, I put on mascara and black lipstick like in my old act, then wore a big depends and boxing gloves. I patted myself down with alley silt and in a way looked like Larry Holmes except for that weird head shape.

A squirting flower, too.

I lit a tire on fire out front and threw three stolen bottles of lit Bacardi 151 in random directions to signal the party with a bang.

All I could think of was these little parasites better appreciate this or this party could tun into a Politeness Management marathon. I had a migraine from some sterno that somehow got in me. An hour later I was in searing agony and they say I was shoving bunches of brats around and throwing them against the wall and crapping my diapers and singing in tongues. All these cops show up all of a sudden. Using my billiard skills I line them up, pull the hand out of my pocket, form a fist with it then throw it punchward, clocking three bulls flat cold out then lit myself on fire and made a run for it. Figured they wouldn't chase me, see.

All of a sudden there's this ear-popping BANG! sound knocks everyone to the floor where I see a wrecking ball swing away from the Brownstone, but the impact loosens the whole side wall and it topples down and squashes everyone. Everyone but me because just like in that old Ben Turpin silent movie an open window shape surrounds just me and I am spared.

Anyway I didn't end up beating up anybody so there's the twist right there, I am a changed man.

God Bless
-------------------------------------------

> ...and

So This Jerk Ups to Me
? Thread Started on Oct 12, 2008, 5:02am ?

I mean, I'm minding my own business in a wheelchair after that dam colonoscopy and this jerk ups to me wants spare change. I was naked except that hospital gown, but had my wallet, keys, some preparation H and as bad luck for him would have it, a can of Campbell's New England Clam Chowder hidden in the cusp of my left hand. I had a roll of quarters in my right hand for the taxi, I don't remember how I got the can of soup but it doesn't matter. I had just eaten this bag of diet potato chips, you know, the kind they advertise on TV that says watch out for oily discharge. Never knew what they meant until that day but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Anyway he did something or something and I clocked him three times, on the orbital eye socket, then the temple then a cupped slap to the ear.

So this dude wants trouble, does he? He thinks that just because I have a hose with a camera on the end of it coming out me arse he can just have his way?

Here's some advice. Never get in a fight after those chips.

How can I put it. Well the big thing is rememer that even a big fat hospital hose is no workable pig's asscork and that oily discharge I was talkin' about can wheedle itself past these fancy ass hospital gizmo's and now I kick him in the temple, get up to heal him in the teeth while he's on the ground when this awful feeling overtook me.

It was that oily discharge. Out of personal dignity I turned to run but inadvertently sprayed the guy perfectly even head to toe; I mean he looked like a Hollywood tan clinic customer with that evenly spaced fine mist of oily brown discharge. Free? Ha. I took his wallet of course. So he's Mr. Tough guy? Don't think so

Can I sue anyone? How much should I ask for?
---------------------------------------

> ... you want more?

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
08-25-2009, 09:54 AM
He he ))
24 of august some guy in california (San Matheo town) came to a school (Hillside) with different weapons and explosives to kill some scolars. That cannot surprise anyone, they shoot in schools all the time in europe and america. But this guy was armed with a SWORD and chainsaw!!!!

GUT, It was you, right? )))

Jack the Ripper
08-25-2009, 12:48 PM
He he ))
24 of august some guy in california (San Matheo tiown) came to a school (Hillside) with different weapons and explosives to kill some scolars. That cannot surprise anyone, they shoot in schools all the time in europe and america. But this guy was armed with a SWORD and chainsaw!!!!

GUT, It was you, right? )))

Neah, Gut would've brought along the Shield of Raw Steel, his all-time favourite artifact :p

FantomFang
08-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Does that mean the real danger was not Gut, but the Writhing Mass of Primal Chaos that he would soon become? (wait, a Chainsaw! That must have been the "lawnmower" Gut injured himself with! The little sneak...)

Jack the Ripper
08-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Does that mean the real danger was not Gut, but the Writhing Mass of Primal Chaos that he would soon become? (wait, a Chainsaw! That must have been the "lawnmower" Gut injured himself with! The little sneak...)

With a bit of effort and if you're flexible, I guess you could mow the lawn with a chainsaw :D

yisk
08-25-2009, 10:37 PM
boris
Even I have got tired of you. Calm down. I think your posts interesting to nobody here.

Jack the Ripper
08-26-2009, 12:48 AM
boris
Even I have got tired of you. Calm down. I think your posts interesting to nobody here.

Yisk, this is the general stuff part of the forum. The thread is entitled 'Chit-chat thread' so the man can post about something he found interesting / funny and wanted to see others' opinion of it. Really now, why tell him to shut up? If you're not interested, just stay away from the topic, and that'll be the end of it for you.

yisk
08-26-2009, 04:12 AM
Ok-ok. I simply against to transform a forum into someone's personal blog.

pblack
08-26-2009, 04:42 AM
I find drunk man wondering aimlessly on the streets interesting. So.... HA!... yisk.

Grey
08-26-2009, 04:53 AM
I made some pasta with peppers and italian sausage for dinner tonight. It was very nice. ;)

pblack
08-26-2009, 05:16 AM
I made some pasta with peppers and italian sausage for dinner tonight. It was very nice. ;)

I made garlic and oil pasta with cream cheese today. Technically... .mac'n cheese =P

yisk
08-26-2009, 07:01 AM
Shit-Chat thread :b

p.s. 100 posts! :3

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
08-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Shit-Chat thread :b

p.s. 100 posts! :3

Delete-and-edit: Then stay away of this thread and do not bother my international conversations, my fellow russian adomite.

Cripplefish
08-27-2009, 04:25 AM
Your post gave me nostalgia for 'Splunge',
a poster that used to frequent one of my
favorite MMA sites. Here's a few samples
of some of the gems he brought us from
time to time:

Haha, this guy has a great imagination.

Any more or possibly a source ? :D

gut
09-24-2009, 04:15 AM
*bump*

Just trying to keep this on the first page : )

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
10-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Damn you marble football german players!!! It`s not fair they are not humans, they are golems!! :)

yisk
10-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Our command have not either organisation and desire to play. Pack of legionaries which to spit on this championship. -_-

Silfir
10-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Is this referring to the mighty ass-whoopin' our guys delivered to the Russian team?

It's typical German style - Shoot one lucky goal and build a wall so that our cadre of elite goalkeepers can go on to aggravate the shit out of the opponent :) Who needs "tactics" or "technique" when you've got good old German virtues like "running all over the place like stung bees", "kick the ball 60 meters away from the penalty area the moment we actually get one of our huge, clumsy excuses for feet near", "mow down attackers using thinly-conceiled brute force", "win penalty shootouts" and "play like amateurs and idiots once qualification is safe"?

Why, with this record, victory at the Championships is almost assured!

yisk
11-08-2009, 05:41 PM
http://lenta.ru/news/2009/11/04/proti/

The presidential election candidate named Against All (Проти Всiх) is registered in Ukraine.
Mister Youhavewononemilliongrivnas Putatickforprizereception will be the following candidate, probably.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
11-09-2009, 09:12 AM
poor people.. they have eternal 90`s..

yisk
03-13-2010, 07:57 AM
To be honest, we have the same idiotic government. I received this election leaflet. The slogan "shove and vote" and attached free condom. -_-

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/8016/untitll.jpg

Grey
03-13-2010, 10:54 AM
What are the two girls going to do with the condom?

gut
03-13-2010, 11:05 PM
One of them isn't really a girl.

yisk
03-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Black PR is not prevented this candidate win.
This is the first victory of the opposition forces in our town since 1917. wow
I'm glad.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
03-29-2010, 07:06 PM
god damn terrorists! Shat bricks today..

gut
03-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Huh? Terrorists bombed your country?

EDIT: Wow, I just googled it. Horrible.

Rather odd for no group to try to claim 'credit'
for it, as that seems to be the standard method
of opperation for those groups. I suppose they
normally don't see the point in murder, unless
citizens know for sure of whom they should be
terrorized.

grobblewobble
03-30-2010, 08:44 PM
It's hard to see how anyone could get as low as to become a terrorist.
The movie "apocalypse now" did give me more of an idea though, has
anyone seen it? I thought it a very good movie. The film is about two
brothers (Palestinians) who decide to blow themselves up. The film portrays
them neither as heroes nor as villains; they're portrayed very humanly.
In essence, these brothers had no future to begin with, that is, they are
both victims of the conflicts with Israel, unemployed, live off the streets,
their families live in poverty, etcetera. They feel awkward about the idea
of terrorism, but hesitantly decide to do it. One of the brothers changes his
mind at the last moment and the situation turns into a chaotic scene.. I don't
want to spoil the end.

Anyway, I still have a hard time imagining what goes on in the mind of a terrorist,
but then again I have been spoiled all my life with luxury and decadence, without
having to struggle to survive or being repressed by dictators or foreign militias..

Grey
03-30-2010, 09:54 PM
The movie "apocalypse now" did give me more of an idea though, has
anyone seen it? I thought it a very good movie. The film is about two
brothers (Palestinians) who decide to blow themselves up.

Uh, Apocalypse Now is a different movie - it's a rather classic one about 'Nam in fact.

Al-Khwarizmi
03-30-2010, 10:04 PM

Well, some of them become terrorists because their family and loved ones are killed so they don't want to live anymore, and all they have left is hate for their enemies and wish to revenge.

And others become terrorists because they are brainwashed and they think that if they die as "martyrs" they'll get a lot of virgins in heaven and all that.

grobblewobble
03-30-2010, 11:37 PM
Grey: damn, you're right of course, I was confused. The movie is called Paradise Now,
in reference of the vietnam movie.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
03-31-2010, 05:20 AM
English Newspaper Guardian says that it was the holy revenge of freedom loving chechya to bloody KGB whose hands are half covered in blood of innocent chechen rebels.

gut
03-31-2010, 07:13 AM
Wonder how England has such accurate info on the matter?

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
03-31-2010, 02:35 PM
well it was something similar to fire vortex inside a train cart..

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
03-31-2010, 03:19 PM
damn, while I am reading CNN news, I have fellings like I`m an Empire (from Star Wars universe) citizen, who reads news about next rebel assault on Coruscant in some pirate newslink.

and yes, today they attacked again, at this time it was southern part of the country - Dagestan,they killed 29 people, most of them police officers others where rescuers who came to help the survivals after the first explosion. Shit this time bomb was a 200 kg of trotill. I wonder when will be the first nuclear terrorists attack (at sometime it must happen right?)

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
03-31-2010, 03:43 PM
sorry guys I dindnt want to make you unhappy with all this. Guys you are all great, espesially you, fascizi (you are the only one who posted his photo here except me). :)and I m also jerk, man ) this forum gave me the thing that is healed by shrinks, the virtual friends.

PS and yes Im drunk
PPS and yes sorry again I just cant handle it normally
PPPS and yes Yisk if you you are going to write something insulting to me, I agree with you.

grobblewobble
03-31-2010, 05:49 PM
I wonder when will be the first nuclear terrorists attack (at sometime it must happen right?)
How do you define terrorism?
Would "trying to kill as many innocent civilians as possible in order to win a political conflict with a nation" be a good definition?

If yes, then it has already happened. Twice.

Dudley
03-31-2010, 07:32 PM
How much nuclear power though? And where (my memory fails me in this case)? Besides, what really is to fear from terrorist is probably not the nuclear menace, but the biological one. What we made is everyones, spis are everywhere ;)

Grey
03-31-2010, 07:43 PM
What we made is everyones, spis are everywhere ;)

As are STIs. Watch out for terrorist AIDS :(

yisk
03-31-2010, 08:10 PM
PPPS and yes Yisk if you you are going to write something insulting to me, I agree with you.*here should be written something insulting to you*

I do not care about terrorism. It's a shame to break your neck on the stairs, but there are many more real dangers. A week ago I met a moron with a knife. If I were slaughtered, this would be said on TV? No, this is a drop in the sea.

fazisi
03-31-2010, 08:23 PM
You are great too, boris.

History is written by the winners. If these now-called "terrorists" were able to overthrow the ruling government and instill their dogma on the masses, they will be viewed as liberators and their "terrorism" was a neccessary evil in the purging and redemption of the country.

But to the rational mind, this is still an atrocity that should never occur. Sadly, reality never follows rationality.

grobblewobble
03-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Since this is a chitchat thread.. that ascii cat is teh awesome, man.

fazisi
03-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Sadly, it's not ASCII. It had to use several Unicode characters to get the right shape.

Sadface
03-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Is its back paw symbolized by an f in reference to ADOM cats? :D

grobblewobble
03-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Sadface, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, and the underscore too (that's the best part ;)).

JellySlayer
03-31-2010, 09:03 PM
How do you define terrorism?
Would "trying to kill as many innocent civilians as possible in order to win a political conflict with a nation" be a good definition?

Not really, no. Terrorism doesn't require civilians to be killed at all to be effective; in many cases, the threat of violence alone is sufficient to achieve the terrorists' goals. Terrorism also doesn't, strictly speaking need to be against a nation; it could be against, for example, between religious groups within the same country.

In a more general sense, the jury is out on whether states are even capable of performing terrorist actions--many argue that the behaviour of states is already governed by international laws, and that attributing the idea of terrorism to them is redundant. There isn't really any consensus on this issue.

If yes, then it has already happened. Twice.

Mmm... how do you define "innocent civilians"?

yisk
03-31-2010, 09:40 PM
History is written by the winners. If these now-called "terrorists" were able to overthrow the ruling government and instill their dogma on the masses, they will be viewed as liberators and their "terrorism" was a neccessary evil in the purging and redemption of the country.This comparison is inappropriate in this case. People from the North Caucasus is too far behind in the culture.
In fact, they have primitive tribal system. Their women have no rights. These people are not able to impose their culture or history of another country.

And if I'm not mistaken, Yeltsin gave freedom for Chechnya on probation in four years. This check Chechnya could not stand it, attacking Dagestan. Therefore Chechnya attached back. I am in favor of separating from Russia throughout the Caucasus with these aggressive highlanders. But then, Chechnya, Ingushetia and Dagestan became a powerful terrorist base.

grobblewobble
03-31-2010, 09:47 PM
Edit: I am replying to Jellyslayer.

From a legal / judicial point of view, actions of states may technically not fall under the definition of terrorism. But my point is, that the Allied forces in the second world war performed some actions that are not much different from what terrorists are doing, at least from a moral point of view. They have diliberately bombed civilians, rather than just military targets. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are perhaps the clearest and most dramatic examples. These civilians were "innocent" in the same sense that the civilians killed by terrorist bombings today are innocent: they were unarmed, defenseless and not directly involved in the conflict.

There are nuances and you could argue that I'm comparing apples to oranges, but I do think the line that morally seperates these actions is quite thin.

nathrakh
03-31-2010, 09:51 PM
What's this dead-serious political crap discussion doing on MY ADOM forums??:confused:

Silfir
03-31-2010, 10:16 PM
If we define terrorism as an act of violence against innocents with the purpose of achieving a political goal through the power of fear, I think we're there. Though it should be realized that the "political conflict" we're talking about was a full blown state of war that had already cost millions of casualties, military and civilian, and the "political goal" in this case was to put an end to it as quickly as possible, hoping to avoid further casualties. (Basically, the two atomic bombs were a gigantic American "SERIOUSLY GUYS, SURRENDER ALREADY".)

I have a hard time condemning or defending the bombings, actually. It was a war. It was the first time atomic bombs had been used in war, and the last, even though the nations possessing them have been in a fair number of wars since. Each time they were contemplating whether to use them, they knew, or at least had more of a clue, what would be the consequences. Without Hiroshima or Nagasaki, we would look to the other places they would have been first used (and I think we'd give humanity too much credit if we believed that they wouldn't).

Compared to modern-day small scale terrorism? The line isn't really that thin, I think. World War II is different from... well, basically anything that has come since.

JellySlayer
03-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Edit: I am replying to Jellyslayer.

From a legal / judicial point of view, actions of states may technically not fall under the definition of terrorism. But my point is, that the Allied forces in the second world war performed some actions that are not much different from what terrorists are doing, at least from a moral point of view.

Perhaps. No side is completely blameless in WW2. But on the scale of atrocities committed by all powers, the atomic bombings probably wouldn't make the top 5. Maybe not even the top 10.

They have diliberately bombed civilians, rather than just military targets. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are perhaps the clearest and most dramatic examples. These civilians were "innocent" in the same sense that the civilians killed by terrorist bombings today are innocent: they were unarmed, defenseless and not directly involved in the conflict.

This is the point where we differ. Most of the powers involved in World War II, including Japan, were engaged in total war--every available resource was being put into the war effort. Hiroshima was home to several military and industrial complexes, and was hardly defenseless. Nagasaki was a major military industrial centre. Both were legitimate military targets that had no civilians in the sense of the term you are describing since the vast majority of the non-combattants would have been providing material support for the armed forces.

Grey
03-31-2010, 10:33 PM
The atomic bombs notably didn't cause as much damage as the bombing of Dresden, which used purely conventional weapons. You don't need nuclear weapons to destroy a city.

Silfir
04-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Depends on what you measure with "damage". Civilian casualties of the Dresden bombings are estimated at around 25.000; the atomic bombs claimed at least ten times as much (long-term, including irradation-induced sickness).

People don't care so much about cities destroyed. As corny as it sounds, cities can be rebuilt, the dead cannot be revived.

gut
04-01-2010, 07:55 AM
> History is written by the winners.

> jury is out on whether states are even
> capable of performing terrorist actions

> Allied forces in the second world war performed
> some actions that are not much different from
> what terrorists are doing,

Right and wrong aren't determined by what has
happened in the past. History Shmistory. I don't
need no stinking books, tv shows, politicians,
'holy' men, or other assorted sources of mental
illness to tell me (to, or) not to go around
killing people. Someone tells me to go kill
someone, I tell them no thanks. Or something
like that anyway. I do feel sorry for all the young
brains out there in the world that are so easily
washed though...

fazisi
04-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Yeah, I'm with you on that one gut. The truth is the only real truth, not the interpretation others provide. But sadly, as time passes, only the (false) information provided becomes the real truth until it is all so skewed or forgotten it becomes irrelavent. At which point, history repeats itself.

nathrakh
04-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Easter holidays are here and I thought of celebrating Jesus' death by drinking some beer. (I'm really not a satanist).

Thought of trying quite new "Korpisavu" beer. Literally "Wilderness smoke", or Backwoods smoke or something.. :-)

http://www.fbsk.info/documents/2009/06/Karhu_Korpisavu3.gif

nathrakh
04-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Bought a six pack of those. The taste was really good.. gotta warm the sauna today.. must taste reaaally good there.. :cool:

nathrakh
04-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Happy birthday Laukku!! 18 years old now huh? Same as me. It's one of the best years! :-P Going to a bar tonight?

Laukku
04-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Happy birthday Laukku!! 18 years old now huh? Same as me. It's one of the best years! :-P Going to a bar tonight?

Oh, Thank you! :)

I got to taste some alcohol drink in a little party today, and it tasted terrible in my opinion... I'll have to either get used to the taste or become a teetotaler :P

Sadface
04-02-2010, 06:55 PM
History Shmistory.

Texas thinks the same way; they are writing Thomas
Jefferson out of their history books.

Happy Birthday Laukku!! =)

nathrakh
04-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Oh, Thank you! :)

I got to taste some alcohol drink in a little party today, and it tasted terrible in my opinion... I'll have to either get used to the taste or become a teetotaler :P

Yea, it can be quite odd and even bad taste at first. I presume it was beer? I remember my first time drinking beer... It tasted horrible. Long drinks are ok to get used to drinking alcohol, they taste mild and quite soda-like.

Being a tee-totaler is fine too.. actually I didn't drink any alcohol for many months just a while ago, and it felt quite good. I appreciate tee-totalers (that word sucks, I prefer "absolutist" as we use it in Finland).

gut
04-03-2010, 09:25 AM
> Texas thinks the same way; they are writing Thomas
> Jefferson out of their history books.

He tried to convince people to kill each other?
If he did, good riddance.

Sadface
04-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Er, woops, I don't think I'd taken your entire post into consideration..
from what I gathered, most of the stuff he did while in office
was peaceful; Texas just doesn't like how liberal he is, so the
conservatives voted to erase any mention of him from the
history teaching curriculum.

Sorry for the confusion =x

Al-Khwarizmi
04-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Yea, it can be quite odd and even bad taste at first. I presume it was beer? I remember my first time drinking beer... It tasted horrible. Long drinks are ok to get used to drinking alcohol, they taste mild and quite soda-like.

I agree with nathrakh, don't say that you don't like the taste of alcohol just because you didn't like a drink. Alcoholic drinks come in many tastes, so it's improbable that you will like or hate them all.

Beer is in fact difficult to get used to, I think no one likes it at first. I actually didn't like it until I was twenty-something even when I liked other alcoholic beverages, much stronger than beer. I started liking it when I spent some days with a group of germans that always drank beer, after a couple of days drinking it it started tasting better.

If you want something that you are likely to like from the get go, try a mild White Russian, or some Baileys, or a mild Mojito, or Malibu+pineapple juice, or Liquor 43+cacaolat. Those have a quite sweet taste and in most of them the taste of alcohol is not very obvious (in the case of the last one it almost doesn't taste alcoholic at all).

gut
04-04-2010, 04:59 PM
If one is drinking alcohol that doesn't taste
like alcohol, then why is one drinking alcohol?

nathrakh
04-04-2010, 05:44 PM
If one is drinking alcohol that doesn't taste
like alcohol, then why is one drinking alcohol?

Ermmm. Why do people drink alcohol? To get drunk or it tastes good.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
04-04-2010, 09:39 PM
he he so many drunks at the easter day ))) I also drank a good 2,5 litres today and i wish everybody nice and painless resurrection!

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
04-08-2010, 10:06 AM
who knows what happened in New York yesterday? They say (on TV) that it was some shooting on time square. And that 50 people were arrested.

grobblewobble
04-08-2010, 10:55 AM
It wasn't me.

No, honestly.

yisk
04-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Tomorrow I'm going to a demonstration against the demolition of the fountain in the center of Ekaterinburg. On this place the government wants to build a church. Archbishop Vincent threatens to send an ancestral curse on the demonstrators. I do not know whether to laugh or cry from such idiocy.

gut
04-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Your government wants to build a church?
Odd, I was always taught that Russia's
government wasn't friendly toward religion.

_Ln_
04-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Your government wants to build a church?
Odd, I was always taught that Russia's
government wasn't friendly toward religion.

This was the case mainly in Soviet Union times.

yisk
04-10-2010, 12:09 PM
The Christian church is now used for the maintenance of monarchical views. Generations terrified by the Soviet regime is rapidly disappearing. Therefore, the Government gets less and less support and trying different ways to turn people into zombies.

I meet more and more orthodox christian fanatics. At every corner they recruit into their organization.
The terrorists will scream "Jesus" not "Allah" soon. :D

gut
04-10-2010, 02:31 PM
As for the notion of governments building churches, I don't like it.
As for religious fanatics, I don't judge religions by their fanatics.

We have nice Christians here in Kentucky, and nice Islamic believers
as well. Oddly, Islamic people actually comprise the majority of our
doctors here in my part of eastern KY. I don't know why, but maybe
it's because this is a less wealthy region of America, and so most
American doctors prefer to chase the big money in other parts of the
country.

At any rate, it's fine by me, as Muslims seem to be exceptionally
good doctors, and a surprisingly good fit for our area. I think the
majority of them come from less-than-wealthy backgrounds in their
former countries, and so show a high level of understanding toward
our poor. Also, they often say things to their patients that most
American doctors wouldn't (these days). Like when I lawnmowered
myself, after the doc assessed me, medicated me, and made
arrangement for me to be flown to a larger hospitol, he told me:
'God gives our bodies the ability to heal, you will be fine'. It was
really nice to have a doc that was not only competant, but also
humble.

If more towns and cities had doctors like we do, there wouldn't be
the same kind of rash judgements about Muslims in general. It's
really only the nuts who are the nuts.

Cash
05-19-2010, 10:37 PM
As for the notion of governments building churches, I don't like it.
As for religious fanatics, I don't judge religions by their fanatics.

We have nice Christians here in Kentucky, and nice Islamic believers
as well. Oddly, Islamic people actually comprise the majority of our
doctors here in my part of eastern KY. I don't know why, but maybe
it's because this is a less wealthy region of America, and so most
American doctors prefer to chase the big money in other parts of the
country.

At any rate, it's fine by me, as Muslims seem to be exceptionally
good doctors, and a surprisingly good fit for our area. I think the
majority of them come from less-than-wealthy backgrounds in their
former countries, and so show a high level of understanding toward
our poor. Also, they often say things to their patients that most
American doctors wouldn't (these days). Like when I lawnmowered
myself, after the doc assessed me, medicated me, and made
arrangement for me to be flown to a larger hospitol, he told me:
'God gives our bodies the ability to heal, you will be fine'. It was
really nice to have a doc that was not only competant, but also
humble.

If more towns and cities had doctors like we do, there wouldn't be
the same kind of rash judgements about Muslims in general. It's
really only the nuts who are the nuts.
you cut your toes off one time

Ascaron
05-21-2010, 06:08 AM
I'll agree with gut on this one. The notion that muslims = terrorists is at best idiotic and flawed. Just because there are muslims who go crash planes into buildings doesn't mean all muslims flying. Take, for example, Ireland during the however many billion years the troubles were around. There were christians who killed people, but not all christians kill people.

What I'm trying to say is, all terrorists are human. Not all humans are terrorists. Judge the individual not the religion.

Well, I guess not all terrorists are human. The RNG terrorizes me all the time, and it's definitely not human :p

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
05-21-2010, 12:26 PM
moslims are sooo muslim