PDA

View Full Version : No place in the budget for females.

Stingray1
04-01-2013, 12:41 PM
TB has reported that there wasn't budgeted for female variants in the tileset.

A possible solution would be to not have female monsters. Only uniques and PCs.

Thoughts?

edit - Can we really tell the difference in appearance between a male and female gnoll?

jt
04-01-2013, 12:54 PM
The easiest solution is to ignore this problem at all. :)

A nearly as easy solution would be to modify the "female monster description", so that the word "female" is suppressed in the text message.

Stingray1
04-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Your first solution does sound easy and probably is.;)

Al-Khwarizmi
04-01-2013, 02:41 PM
As I said in the blog post, I'm against removing the word "female" from descriptions. There will also be an ASCII mode, and there this problem doesn't exist. I'd like to be able to keep killing female monsters in ASCII.

If it's removed, it would be better if it were done as an option, or only in graphical tiles mode.

Moeba
04-01-2013, 03:35 PM
I would go for a middle ground: only make female models for the PC classes and for humans. Or PC classes and only those models which you really can't call female. Who knows the difference between male and female skeletons anyway :)

magpie
04-01-2013, 04:58 PM
So the only females in the game would be goodwives, the tiny girl, chaos sisters, quickling queens, dark elven priestesses, hags, probably some of the arena vendors...? That kinda sucks.

There's also a few game mechanics that rely on the gender of the monster - not many, but enough for it to not be just a cosmetic thing.

Plus... without even the token gesture towards having women be a part of Ancardia, it doesn't feel as real, it's not as immersive...

Plus, then you'd be missing out on hilarious stuff like the description for 'female least daemon':

She's had a really bad day. Burnt all her hellish power just to get here, only to notice that her master wouldn't send her any power to finish the errand she was sent out on - either because the master simply forgot her or just wanted to get rid of her or because he fell victim to one of the countless demonic revolts in the meantime. Now she's stranded in a drab dungeon without any drinks or a club that allowed demons in, and she'll probably have to hang around this stupid dimension until the next hellish auditions show she's gone missing; and that won't happen before next century. If you tell her that her costume is in bad taste and looks like a cheap fake, things will go very hard with you.

It's little things like this that take ADOM from being just another monotonous Rogue-like to being a game that can be endless played for years on end without ever getting sick of it... except for those rare times you have to take a short break, because the RNG does something truly cruel to you... which is part of the fun, of course. :cool:

anon123
04-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Misogyny! :rolleyes:

I would say the worst part about this is that it removes some detail from the game.

jt
04-01-2013, 05:50 PM
"Are there any women here today?" ;)

I still think the best way is to ignore this "problem"... and hope/wait for female tiles.

Grey
04-01-2013, 10:32 PM
I'd say concentrate on getting a male set together to be used on all monsters and then a female set can follow and be gradually introduced.

To be perfectly honest I'm not looking forward to the female graphics set, it's bound to include something objectionable.

Bodhi
04-02-2013, 03:27 AM
It's not exactly shocking that female tiles were forgotten. This is a sexist game.

How many named characters are women?

Spellweaver
04-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Am I right that Thomas celebrated April Fool's day too?