PDA

View Full Version : Emach the MonkMage

Sami
06-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I tried lotuskip's MonkMage challenge and used rules that he mentioned in first post with some more restrictions (not all what he added later though).

Rules:
- class must be monk.
- allowed races: human, hurthling, dwarf, orc, troll (the last two give extra challenge).
- may not kill any monsters with weapons or unarmed combat.

So basically you must build a monk that can get around using mainly magic.

The only allowed scummy method is stair-hopping. Honestly I don't think this challenge can be won without quite extensive ID-scumming.

In addition of these rules, I didn't use any item in melee and as missiles used only items that aren't meant to be used as missiles (doesn't have special bonuses when used as missile and doesn't give marks in any skill), such as tools, helmets and rings. Also no pets were used.

In the beginning I used mainly wooden sticks as missile weapons and later when I got si, I started using them for rest of the game.
Around level 10 I started to use some spells (lightning bolt because I hadn't found any other offensive spells yet) to attack enemies and around level 18 I switched almost only to spells.

Early and mid-game (and quite much late game too) were almost only ID-scumming for spellbooks, equipment and safe xp. I did only early levels of CoC (bove graveyard, excluding the graveyard itself), UD, puppy cave, pyramid, druid dungeon, darkforge and top floor of dwarven graveyard before I stopped stairhopping in ID.

When I stopped scumming ID, I was almost godlike (level 30, DV/PV about 200/60 and highly boosted stats) with quite good spell arsenal, including acid ball, ice ball, basic bolts (fire, frost, lightning and magic missile) and some other miscellaneous spells. From this point it took just about 2,5 hours to complete rest of the game (all 5 temples, ToTHK and fully cleared D:50, and I didn't even try to do it quickly :P).

Ball spells with radius of 3 and monk's level 25 ability (swap place with hostile monsters) is a real killer. :)

http://ancardia.ath.cx/adom_users/samim/emach.flg