PDA

View Full Version : Login attempts

05-18-2013, 03:02 AM
I've received two notifications in the last 3 days that an IP has unsuccessfully attempted to login to these forums with my account.

The IP is: 188.143.232.144

Doing a search on it, many other people from different forums have commented the same thing, some of them have even seen attempted SQL injections.

Please strengthen your passwords everyone, and dissociate them from any important accounts you may share that password with.

anon123
05-18-2013, 03:17 AM
Just checked my e-mail, and I have no foreign login attempts, at least for now. I'm already using different passwords everywhere, that's a basic security measure.

Maybe the admins could block this IP from the server before it can do anything else.

jt
05-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the warning, the IP is now blocked. It seems they are attacking at lot of sites: http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/188.143.232.144

Edit: please send those warnings directly to my forum account, this helps me/us to react quicker. :)

timeywimey
06-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Just checked my e-mail, and I have no foreign login attempts, at least for now. I'm already using different passwords everywhere, that's a basic security measure.

Maybe the admins could block this IP from the server before it can do anything else.

Well, having 40 different passwords means you need to store them somewhere or have a bulging cranium :] Just grab a random book, open page x, take every 3rd or so word until you reach y words and apply. Long, safe password. No brute force will ever crack that.

e: well, obviously it will be cracked, but not in your lifetime anyway.

anon123
06-18-2013, 02:22 AM
Well, having 40 different passwords means you need to store them somewhere or have a bulging cranium :]

I have the voice of ChAoS whispering disturbing secrets into my thoughts. :)

My method is to take a word or phrase, swap many of the letters with numbers or symbols, then add some random garbage to the left and right of it. Seems to work, as I don't recall ever having an account hijacked.

gut
06-18-2013, 04:39 AM
I take perfectly sensible words and add garbage to the end. Riboflavin(*(*(*() or such.

Grond
06-18-2013, 05:44 AM
Ars technica had an interesting article (http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05/how-crackers-make-minced-meat-out-of-your-passwords/) on the topic of password cracking relatively recently. One of the takeaways: if you're going to use some sort of rule to generate your passwords, it had better be something very few other people are going to think of (which is rather difficult as a human).