PDA

View Full Version : Corruptions You Take Off Right Away On Every Character

sytar6
06-16-2013, 12:25 AM
I think for me it'd have to be the Stiff Muscles corruption. I honestly can't think of any others which always require removal every time.

Alucard
06-16-2013, 12:44 AM
Scar tissue / mana battery / poison hands

Stingray1
06-16-2013, 01:01 AM
Early unholy aura, stiff muscles, mana battery.

I love poison hands, especially early. Well, if I own insulation.

sytar6
06-16-2013, 01:37 AM
I've kept mana battery around on a wizard who had very little use for wands around that point of the game. Recently played a Hurthling Monk who I kept mana battery on for quite a while, waiting until I got a second corruption before I used one of my SoCR. Had Teleportitis, Teleportation Control, and could kick down walls. Had very little need of wands. I don't mind keeping the corrupted tissue thing on if I've gone some Gelee Royal and it's the first corruption I get (meaning I'd be wasting some of my SoCR by removing it)

Stiff Muscles though - with few exceptions, I won't take a damn step with that corruption on, no matter who I'm playing or what point of the game I'm at. I'm surprised Alucard doesn't mind it.

Alucard
06-16-2013, 02:11 AM
I do, but you mentioned it already.

anon123
06-16-2013, 02:36 AM
Stiff muscles, poison hands, mana battery, unholy aura, apish (is this one still around?) if playing a spellcaster.

Runner ups: teleportitis, thin and nimble, ChAoS touch, blot the sun, disease-ridden maggots, tentacle mouth.

I'm picky with my corruptions :)

grobblewobble
06-16-2013, 06:56 AM
I agree, stiff muscles is the worst. Everything else can situationally be ok or at least workable.

Hehe, funny that you mention apish and astral planes Anon. I love those. Next time you get these corruptions could you give them to me?

Having both maggots and unholy aura is hilarious.

Spellweaver
06-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Astral planes kill one's ability to learn complex spells.

JellySlayer
06-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Apish is great... you can get 10+ free points of St and To from it. Most of the stats that you lose are fairly replaceable ones anyway.

anon123
06-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Hehe, funny that you mention apish and astral planes Anon. I love those. Next time you get these corruptions could you give them to me?

If only I could :)

Even if you don't read from books, the constant prompts to choose where your new location are really annoying. That's why I hate teleportitis (and in connection, why I don't drink from pools most of the time). Apish would be good for a melee PC that doesn't need "mental" stats much, but I've yet to see it in the closed prereleases. And I rolled a ton of chaos knights. Think there was a bug report on this...

kNightCrawler
06-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Apish would be good for a melee PC that doesn't need "mental" stats much, but I've yet to see it in the closed prereleases. And I rolled a ton of chaos knights. Think there was a bug report on this...
I found that it *is* possible to pick up the apish corruption along the way, though for some reason CKs don't ever seem to start off with it. I reported that here (http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1996).

The corruptions I always try to remove ASAP are stiff muscles, mana battery, blotting the sun or poison hands (if lacking thick gauntlets...). Also tentacle mouth, only if relying on magic a lot. Really not fond of decaying body or maggot breeding corruptions either, but may not always remove 'em immediately.

gosos
06-18-2013, 01:52 PM
how far down in CoC before corruption gets really high and you have to make it through really fast?

asdf
06-18-2013, 02:44 PM
how far down in CoC before corruption gets really high and you have to make it through really fast?
D:45 and everything below that corrupts you really fast. And i wouldn't read books or farm herbs on D:40-D:44 too.

anon123
06-18-2013, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't farm herbs on any corrupting level, but that might be because my definition of "farm herbs" involves things like this:

Food ('%')
heap of 211 uncursed stomacemptia herbs [422s]
heap of 234 blessed spenseweeds [468s]
heap of 123 uncursed spenseweeds [246s]
heap of 33 uncursed alraunia antidotes [66s]
heap of 135 blessed morgia roots [270s]
heap of 77 uncursed morgia roots [154s]
heap of 233 blessed moss patches of mareilon [466s]
heap of 400 blessed stomacemptia herbs [800s]
heap of 166 uncursed moss patches of mareilon [332s]

Food ('%')
heap of 203 blessed spenseweeds [406s]
heap of 60 uncursed pepper petals [120s]
heap of 146 blessed pepper petals [292s]
heap of 75 uncursed stomacemptia herbs [150s]
heap of 313 blessed moss patches of mareilon [626s]
heap of 170 uncursed moss patches of mareilon [340s]
heap of 212 blessed stomacemptia herbs [424s]
heap of 82 uncursed stomafillia herbs [164s]
heap of 144 blessed burb roots [288s]
heap of 38 blessed stomafillia herbs [76s]
heap of 72 uncursed spenseweeds [144s]

Mobius
06-19-2013, 04:38 AM
"Right away" is very dependent on what corruption removal tools you have (SoCR / PoCC) and what the prior corruption was.
Unholy aura could be a game-loser in some situations, so would be high on the list.
Blot out sun + doomed intrinsic is also game losing.

Cactus
02-19-2014, 02:29 PM
I have two related questions, so pardon me for digging out this thread:

1. Noone mentioned the very light corruption. I'm playing a mist elf merchant and just picked up very light as a first corruption. I was thinking about removing it right now since I worked so hard to raise my St and To to 18 and 16 respectively and the -6 on both really hurts.
Of course, back in the days of soft potentials you could just eat morgia until To of 25 and I think St got trained again because it was based on the new (lowered) value. So with the new stat behaviour would it be more reasonable now to remove it?

2. If you remove the first corruption immediately with a blessed ?oCR, do you waste part of it (1000-1500=0 or -500)?

JellySlayer
02-19-2014, 02:55 PM
I suspect that corruption score can't be negative, but I honestly have never tested.

Corruptions that mess with your stats, especially for a low To character like a mist elf, are probably worth removing if you have corruption removal to spare. If you think you're going to be short on corruption removal (eg. Khelly dead, mystic screwed you), then you might want to save what you have for something worse.

Blasphemous
02-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Close attunement to astral planes, but I'm known for my passionate despise for teleportitis on ANY char. I simply detest this one with the purest hate imaginable.
Mana battery is very useful for an archmage during the wish bookcasting phase, but extremely unwanted in any other situation.
Prehensile tentacles for mouth if I'm playing a caster.

Hate for the sun, extremely annoying.
Worm-ridden skin/maggot skin.
Stiff muscles.
Posion hands.
Decaying tissue.
Attached to chaos if I'm in highly corrupting area or diving into deep CoC to close the gate.
There's a chance another corruption will be obtained quickly and then this one is not easily removed with a single scroll and it can almost literally kill you on D:50, especially if you're operating a melee char.

Acid blood is almost universally considered the best corruption but it has the option to inadvertently slay a cat if it attacks you and gets sprinkled with your blood. I know quickling queens often kill themselves just by attacking me and being burned by my acidic blood, but I had a cat die from that as well. Luckily (or unluckily) I have already killed cats in that game so I couldn't care less.

Last mention, I'm not sure what this corruption is called but it forces you to cast a random spell in a random direction - it killed the tiny girl once when I was returning to Terrinyo with crumpled scroll to get the trident. Needless to say, the whole town turned hostile. Not funny.

Stingray1
02-19-2014, 06:31 PM
We fondly refer to it as 'babbling mouth', the spell is almost random( in so much as wand of wonder is ), but the direction( if applicable ) is chosen by the player.

Cactus
02-21-2014, 11:32 AM
2. If you remove the first corruption immediately with a blessed ?oCR, do you waste part of it (1000-1500=0 or -500)?

I suspect that corruption score can't be negative, but I honestly have never tested

Ok, so I tested it and it seems that the excess points are indeed wasted. I read a blessed scroll of chaos resistance immediately after getting the first corruption, and the resulting message when pressing '\' changed from "You are not yet corrupted" to "You are not yet that corrupted" after only a couple of turns. That means it must have been reset to zero, not to a negative value.

Stingray1
02-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Makes perfectly sense, how on ear...ancardia can anything be negatively corrupted. Some things in the game just doesn't go negative and corruption is a pretty big part of ADOM, the chances that TB would allow for corruption to be negative was non-existent if you asked me.

Cactus
02-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Piety can go negative, so why on ea...ancardia not corruption? That's why I tested it.

SirTheta
02-21-2014, 02:34 PM
There were a number of abusable things wrt negative (or otherwise) numbers that didn't make any sense that TB overlooked (ahem, piety underflow). This wasn't exactly the most implausible thing.

anon123
02-21-2014, 03:55 PM
If corruption score could be negative, reading SoCRs without any corruptions would have effectively granted some sort of "chaos resistance". :p

Stingray1
02-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Ja well, piety does go negative. It was specifically coded to be possible to have it negative. Same with alignment. Corruption, character age, character PP, game turns, etc. Some things were coded to be only positive as it is something that doesn't make sense to be negative.

Cactus
02-21-2014, 07:12 PM
It would make perfect sense, though. If you are not that much corrupted to make full use of the scroll, its excess power would instead protect you for some time.
But discussing these things with someone that hasn't even grasped the meaning of some of the coolest characters in the game ("make Kherab hostile if you 'steal' his stuff") is a vain endeavour I guess :)

Stingray1
02-22-2014, 09:11 AM
At least I grasped the concept of corruption and realize that a scroll of corruption removal does remove corruption and does not make the PC resist it. ;)

BlitzerkidSix
02-22-2014, 02:57 PM
If negative corruption were possible, there would be no incentive to hold onto corruption removal items. The full benefit could be had as soon as you got them. There would be no agonizing decision to take an SoCR into the ToEF; you could read all six and charge in with some -8 corruptions. Also, "excess power" protecting you sounds way too much like ADOM being forgiving, for my taste. Not even the gods can remove corruption (much) and even a Champion of Order only partially resists it.

SirTheta
02-22-2014, 08:42 PM
If negative corruption were possible, there would be no incentive to hold onto corruption removal items. The full benefit could be had as soon as you got them. There would be no agonizing decision to take an SoCR into the ToEF; you could read all six and charge in with some -8 corruptions. Also, "excess power" protecting you sounds way too much like ADOM being forgiving, for my taste. Not even the gods can remove corruption (much) and even a Champion of Order only partially resists it.This would be a very bad use of resources. Unless you have a true buttload of SOCR/POCC, it would still always be better to save them and clear out bad corruptions while keeping good/neutral corruptions - the last thing you want is to use all your SOCR and wind up with stiff muscles for your first corruption.