PDA

View Full Version : Finally got through UD with Gnome/Wizard

gosos
06-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Well it took me more tries than I can count, but I finally finished UD with a Gnome wizard in 1.2 Pre-release 14. Basically I got lucky.

1. went to SMC and noticed the down entrance to UD was very close. So immediately went to ID and spent my first 11 levels on floors 1 and 2. Got a bunch of spellbooks etc,... here. Got plenty of spells. Raised some attributes
2. crowned and post crowned in UD. got staff of Archmagi (which I sold in HMV for 68k) and got the Artifact Platemail (huge increase over my robes and I have 1400 casts of Strength of Atlas). found a holy symbol in ID and now have 2. so decided to crown
3. finished the Guthalak quest and got gardening. Picked up a few herb seeds, but then clicked the wrong button (was trying to use pickpocket, but ended up planting) and lost most. I noticed that you tend to use more than 1 seed when planting. I had 13 and 3 uses by accident dropped me to 2 seeds left. i can get more in the big room
4. finished courage quest and killed hotzenpotz. Also did the pickpocket and got detect traps to 62 and level 16 with my die roll at 3d4.
5. ate the oracle and removed doomed, etc...
6. talents: quick,very quick,greased lightning (ate a quickling) so speed is 112, long stride, 2 hp bonus talents
7. got real lucky and found a spellbook shop at the bottom of UD. Used a bunch of the 68k i got for the staff of archmagi to jack up my spells

Noticed something interesting in shops. If you stack the books AND buy them, then it restocks faster. They tended to restock while I was reading. So my learning is up to 24 and my potential is 25.

Currently at level 2 of CoC. Have many spells with over 1000 casts (including strength of Atlas so I can where the Artifact Platemail without issue).

Plan: Work down to Dwarf town. If I get too close to level 17, head over to Pyramid. I have Firebolt and Fireball spell (lots of casts and my firebolt is like level 25 or something). Lots of casts for disarm traps. Can't hurt to get rid of them if I find them.

I have some questions:

1. I tend to prefer to randomly set my stats. Its a hassle to pick especially since i die alot. My potential on willpower is only 19. That seems awful low for a spellcaster. Im not at the max. i need to get more morgia, but gnomes level fast and I did not want to collect more seeds since I have to kill stuff and that will bring me closer to the level 17 barrier for Pyramid.

Stats (I think
Str 18 (at potential)
Willpwer 15 potential 19 (need morgia
Dex 20 potential 27
Mana 21 potential 32
Toughness 17 potential 20
Learning 24 potential 25 (I know one more for another skill, but needed gold to buy up detect traps so didnt want to buy more spellbooks).

Fireproof blanket (no waterproof)
HP: 125
PP: 170
Don't remember my DV, but its pretty high. I have a crystal shield also. Using a decent rapier for melee. I do ok in melee.
Skills maxxed: Concentration, literacy, healing, herbalism

Spells: (some of them)
Blessed,burning hands (basically melee spells)
Destroy Undead, Fire bolt (primary spell at like +23) magic Missle(+18), lightning bolt, fireball, iceball
cure light wounds, cure disease, light, darkness
teleport (no control yet).
strength of atlas

I have more... but I am at not at home to check.
I think my intrinsics are: poison, fire, stun (from ring). immunity: fire. I may have more. I need to drink a potion of enlightenment.

What do you think?

2. What are the biggest dangers for Wizards? I can freeze water to cross, but its a hassle cause I have to drop lots of stuff. I still have large rations so I have like 5500 weight (note strength of atlast lets me carry like 17000 )
3. any suggestions? With almost unlimited strength of atlas spells, (can this be removed by a mob or a location?) I can pretty much load up with all the armor I need. Thought about carrying 2 shields for when I use magic. I can go coward and cast away.
4. what talents should I take now? I think I want the last HP one. Then DV bonus ones.
5. if I get a wish. Other than amulet of life saving, any suggestions? I have not gotten seven league boots and even though they are nerfed, I would think they are very useful to keep my distance. Anything else I should wish for?
6. I am already at day 33, due the grinding from crowning and reading tons of spellsbooks to stockup. so a bit concerned about corruption down the line. have not found any magical writing sets yet.
7. how useful is alchemy. looks like the potions you can make are highly random and skew towards the less valuable ones.
8. plan to get herb seeds and then make a big farm (with 4x4 squares. so i only need to plant 3 bushes) at the Barbarian glade. I will get morgia/mareilon (if another source is not found). then get lots of spenseweed/stomafilia.
9. I think I should start using offensive spells I dont use that much to train them up. With that spellbook shop, I have almost limitless books. with the si, I think it should multiply at a good rate while just reading books. Then dip down 1 level to HMW to sell si. Seems like the shopkeeper there likes me. The one in Hotzenpotz offered me 16k for my Staff of Archmagi and HMW offered me 68k.
10. how do you guys use the non-lethal offensive spells like calm monster, slow monster, and web?Are there certain monster particularly vulnerable to this?

It has taken me MANY attempts to get through UD with a gnome wizard. so any advice so I don't blow it would be appreciated.

Arctic
06-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Biggest threats to wizards after early game:
1.Trying to melee something you really shouldn't.
2."Forgetting" to recast Strength of Atlas and getting crushed by tons of luggage.
3.Executing yourself in a narrow corridor with a bolt spell.

Calm monster is useful for cats, slow monster can be used both against monsters(to make them easier) or yourself( for extra difficulty). Web can buy you few extra turns before approaching monster reaches you.

For talents, pick what you think helps you most. Spellcasting talents, DV ones or missile weapon talents are few to think about.

Alchemy is quite useful, you'll get more recipes as it levels up. Last recipe is for PoGA. And I guess you could brew loads of booze for dipping and trading.

Corruption isn't usually a problem, so I wouldn't worry about that at this point.

Oh and get the elemental gauntlets. You will need at least a resistance for all elements. At some point a vortex will blow up in your face.

timeywimey
06-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Your hp might be a problem, since a lot of midgame monsters can crit you for tons of damage if the rng decides so (hill giants etc). Just don't melee them, use spells. Smells like a winner, this char.

gosos
06-18-2013, 01:46 PM
@timewiney: i doubt ill win. farthest i ever got is just passed khelavaster. i dont even know what happens after that other than the guide. won't my HP be low with a gnome wizard no matter what?

1. I am concerned about my willpower potential. it is only 19. That is low for a gnome right? I generally just do 'random' attribute starts and picking a wizard to play or dump, I look at starting spellbooks. I like 2 offensive spells. I forgot to check my willpower potential. Can you sitll buy up attributes at your max potential at garther in 1.2? Do you know if the price went up? Looks like it would be about 500-k-800k gold to push willpower to the all import 30 level to get stronger ball spells.

2. As far as the bolt spell or magic missile bouncing. done that. How do I figure out how much range I get on these things? I find the formula confusing.

3. Ill start experimenting with the non-kill spells to see what mobs they are affect against. I would think web would be good in a corridor to slow stuff down and then I can pick off with magic missile and recast web. I think I also need to start using different spells. Right now they only 2 spells with high skill level are magic missile and fire bolt. I should probably train up other stuff. I could really use teleport control. None of the blink dogs have dropped a corpse yet.

timeywimey
06-18-2013, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't worry about will power that much, you can raise it to 32> with a few items you are running into. Doesn't casting spells increase it? Haven't really played casters so don't know for sure..

GordonOverkill
06-18-2013, 02:18 PM
I still think that you put too much time into your early games. In my eyes your current wizard is absolutely overpowerd compared to the progress of the plot... he might be already strong enough to go through the whole mid game without problems, but still he could die at every moment due to lack of experience. I really think that luck and a nice rng are much more important to an unexperienced player than perfect use of each and every game mechanic. I'd recommend you to play carefully and not too quick, but not do all that grinding, which will very likely just spoil your fun on the long term.
Also there is a let's play on youtube where Silfir successfully played through the whole game with a drakeling barbarian. If you don't mind being spoiled, this one is really instructive and entertaining at the same time.

grobblewobble
06-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Willpower 32 is what you need for big ball spells. With willpower 19, sword of nonnak (+5) and water orb (+10) you get there. In other words, there is no reason to worry about it.

None of the blink dogs have dropped a corpse yet.

There is a technique you need to know for blink dogs. As soon as you spot a blink dog, you should give it a name. Keep it alive and let him summon more blink dogs. Then kill the ones he summoned. Don't kill the original blink dog before you get a corpse, because the original one is the one that summons.

GordonOverkill
06-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Willpower 32 is what you need for big ball spells. With willpower 19, sword of nonnak (+5) and water orb (+10) you get there. In other words, there is no reason to worry about it.

There is a technique you need to know for blink dogs. As soon as you spot a blink dog, you should give it a name. Keep it alive and let him summon more blink dogs. Then kill the ones he summoned. Don't kill the original blink dog before you get a corpse, because the original one is the one that summons.

I am 90% sure that every hostile blink dog eventually becomes a summoner if you just wait long enough. Never used that tactic during dozens of dozens of tries and always found them summoning, anyway, so either I am incredibly lucky in this respect or this technique is not needed (anymore?)

grobblewobble
06-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Oh, it was never strictly needed. You are right, every blink dog becomes a summoner eventually, but not right away. Naming the original just speeds things up.

JellySlayer
06-18-2013, 03:15 PM
1. I am concerned about my willpower potential. it is only 19. That is low for a gnome right?

Gnomes start with relatively low willpower compared to other races. There are magic items that will let you boost your Wi quite high, though. Don't worry too much about it. By the end of the game, it's possible you'll have Wi in the 30s from potions and things, as long as it doesn't get too mangled by corruption.

3. Ill start experimenting with the non-kill spells to see what mobs they are affect against. I would think web would be good in a corridor to slow stuff down and then I can pick off with magic missile and recast web. I think I also need to start using different spells. Right now they only 2 spells with high skill level are magic missile and fire bolt. I should probably train up other stuff. I could really use teleport control. None of the blink dogs have dropped a corpse yet.

Web is quite a good spell and definitely worth using against some powerful monsters. You know that you can recast strength of atlas multiple times at once to build it up, right?

2. What are the biggest dangers for Wizards? I can freeze water to cross, but its a hassle cause I have to drop lots of stuff. I still have large rations so I have like 5500 weight (note strength of atlast lets me carry like 17000 )

Agree with what was said earlier: Self-immolation and strength of atlas failures. Overconfidence kills the rest. Personally, I prefer to keep my inventory small, but nobody seems to listen to me about this ;)

4. what talents should I take now? I think I want the last HP one. Then DV bonus ones.

PV or DV talents maybe. Talents decline pretty rapidly in value beyond level 12, so take whatever looks interesting.

5. if I get a wish. Other than amulet of life saving, any suggestions? I have not gotten seven league boots and even though they are nerfed, I would think they are very useful to keep my distance. Anything else I should wish for?

If you don't have the spell yet, spellbooks of acid ball are very nice...

6. I am already at day 33, due the grinding from crowning and reading tons of spellsbooks to stockup. so a bit concerned about corruption down the line. have not found any magical writing sets yet.

Not a problem.

7. how useful is alchemy. looks like the potions you can make are highly random and skew towards the less valuable ones.

If you mix two random ingredients together, you get an explosion that damages enemies. With proper fire resistance and a ring of ice, it won't damage you, so it's basically an unlimited source of free fireballs. You can also make potions with it.

8. plan to get herb seeds and then make a big farm (with 4x4 squares. so i only need to plant 3 bushes) at the Barbarian glade. I will get morgia/mareilon (if another source is not found). then get lots of spenseweed/stomafilia.

You can't plant herbs in most wilderness areas.

9. I think I should start using offensive spells I dont use that much to train them up. With that spellbook shop, I have almost limitless books. with the si, I think it should multiply at a good rate while just reading books. Then dip down 1 level to HMW to sell si. Seems like the shopkeeper there likes me. The one in Hotzenpotz offered me 16k for my Staff of Archmagi and HMW offered me 68k.

The black market always rips you off.

Plan: Work down to Dwarf town. If I get too close to level 17, head over to Pyramid. I have Firebolt and Fireball spell (lots of casts and my firebolt is like level 25 or something). Lots of casts for disarm traps. Can't hurt to get rid of them if I find them.

You should do the Pyramid now. There is no reason to wait.

gut
06-18-2013, 10:32 PM
black market has a fair price on rocks

gosos
06-19-2013, 04:26 PM
I wanted to run down to dwarf town to get Thrundarr's first quest. With my Dwarf Paladin (he has not died, just havce not used him). I picked up his first quest at level 16 and got a stone golem. I figure I should get the quest now because the sooner I get it, the sooner I can get the kill and as I level the harder the kill will be. Stone Golem was tough since the Artifact that has one as a guardian did not generate before Khelavaster.

Didn't know about Blink Dogs. Big help. I have a ton of teleport spells, but its useless without control. Since the down entrance to UD was right next to SMC, I did not kill many mobs in SMC. So the first wave of weak mobs are there. if I can get teleport control, I should be able to run around and find the waterproof blanket (if I don't get one from a drop before I do this) and then teleport back to the stairs.

I didn't spend that much time grinding. Gnomes level very fast. Doesn't take effort to read spellbooks. just makes time go by. I got lucky and found a spellbook shop at UD 8. After selling my useless Staff of Archmagi, bought lots of books. Read. What was interesting, is that the shop seemed to re-stock while reading. Shops seems to restock faster if you buy some items on top of stacking them and let time pass on the floor. So reading the books you buy does that. Crowning, post crowning, and getting rid of doom and curse only took about 1.5 hours since I found a holy symbol.

Questions:
1. I have asked this question many times. Does anyone know if training with Glod changed in 1.2? Can I still raise stats beyond my potential with gold? Is it more expensive?

2. Has anyone used gardening? It looks like you can use more than 1 herb seed to plant a bush. Is this based on gardening skill level? It is not well described, since prior to 1.2 it was useless. It does seem like your chances of collecting a herb seed without destroying an Herb is better at higher levels. It also seems to go up pretty quickly from use. BTW, if you dont know if you get gardening from Guthrak it starts at over 50. Which is nice.

3. Does anyone know at about what level spells level much slower? My fire bolt and Magic Missile are above 20. I think I should work on other spells to get them decent. However, I want atleast 1 spell to be really high. I don't want to waste time casting something over and over again if the increase slows to a crawl.

4. how much does willpower help with spell damage other than increasing ball spells? Wiki says it increases damage. Is there a formula? Wilpower/mana seem to be the key stats for spells.

5. So do you guys gamble on pools much? I tend to do it early since I have less to lose. If I get doomed and die, I didn't waste alot of time and I don't really have an intrinsics to lose. I have high enough piety to get rid of doom/curse now. I don't know all my intrinsics. There is a spellbook for sale of revelatoin, but I didn't have the gold to buy it yet. When does gambling on pools stop being worth it? Since you start losing intrinsics?

JellySlayer
06-19-2013, 04:59 PM
1. I have asked this question many times. Does anyone know if training with Glod changed in 1.2? Can I still raise stats beyond my potential with gold? Is it more expensive?

And I have answered it many times. Training with Glod is exactly the same as in 1.1.1. You can raise stats beyond potential by training, it's just tedious and expensive.

2. Has anyone used gardening? It looks like you can use more than 1 herb seed to plant a bush. Is this based on gardening skill level? It is not well described, since prior to 1.2 it was useless. It does seem like your chances of collecting a herb seed without destroying an Herb is better at higher levels. It also seems to go up pretty quickly from use. BTW, if you dont know if you get gardening from Guthrak it starts at over 50. Which is nice.

I used it extensively with my farmer. I don't think you use more than one seed for a planting, but planting can fail. You recover 1d2 seeds at a time from a living bush, if successful, and yes, for all applications, Gardening is heavily dependent on skill. At <60 points, it's very difficult to do anything unless you have lots of seeds to spare.

3. Does anyone know at about what level spells level much slower? My fire bolt and Magic Missile are above 20. I think I should work on other spells to get them decent. However, I want atleast 1 spell to be really high. I don't want to waste time casting something over and over again if the increase slows to a crawl.

I believe that the time to increase is somehow proportional to the current level of the spell, but I don't know the exact algorithm.

4. how much does willpower help with spell damage other than increasing ball spells? Wiki says it increases damage. Is there a formula? Wilpower/mana seem to be the key stats for spells.

Each spell has its own separate formula for damage. Ancardia wiki (http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Spells) has a list. Dunno how accurate it is. Looking at the formulas posted, Wi generally doesn't affect the damage of most spells.

5. So do you guys gamble on pools much? I tend to do it early since I have less to lose. If I get doomed and die, I didn't waste alot of time and I don't really have an intrinsics to lose. I have high enough piety to get rid of doom/curse now. I don't know all my intrinsics. There is a spellbook for sale of revelatoin, but I didn't have the gold to buy it yet. When does gambling on pools stop being worth it? Since you start losing intrinsics?

I'd say when the intrinsics that you have to lose outweigh those you have to gain. If you're crowned and have a method of controlling teleport (ring or amulet, since the intrinsic can be lost), and, if you care about such things, have finished the Arena, there's relatively little risk in playing the pool lottery. OTOH, usually by this point, you have most of the essential intrinsics already through equipment or other means. Usually you're only really looking for wishes by the time you have all of that sort of stuff. Depends a lot on race too... playing with pools is considerably more dangerous for short-lived races like trolls or drakelings since a few hits of unnatural aging can wipe you out.

Grond
06-19-2013, 05:11 PM
3. For wizards it takes one casting to go from +0 to +1, two castings to go from +1 to +2, three castings to go from +2 to +3, and so on. I'm not aware of any break point at which this changes (but I don't play wizards that much).

Stingray1
06-19-2013, 05:53 PM
For a wizard casting an arcane spell it will go to +1 after the 1st casting, it will go to +2 after the 3rd casting, it will go +3 after the 6th casting, it will go to +4 after the 10th, it will go to +5 after the 15th, etc.

For a wizard casting a clerical spell it will go to +1 after 2 casting, it will go to +2 after 6 casting, it will go to +3 after the 12th, etc.

For a fighter it will go to +1 after 3, +2 after 9, to +3 after 18, to +4 after 30, etc.

The formulae is in the manual.

Willpower affects range and duration, I think damage too( can't exactly remember, these are easy to check ingame anyway??? ).

gosos
06-19-2013, 11:41 PM
does anyone know if training with garth in dwarftown lets you raise stats at their potential in 1.2? I asked several times and the only answer I got is you don't need to. HAs this changed?
what about morgia and moss of merilon when attributes are at their max?

Stingray1
06-20-2013, 06:06 AM
Training with Garth can raise some stat potentials. Up to 99 in strength, learning, willpower, dexterity, toughness and perception.

This is the last time I say the above, so please make a note.

Herbs are not supposed raise stat potentials.

JellySlayer
06-20-2013, 06:45 AM
does anyone know if training with garth in dwarftown lets you raise stats at their potential in 1.2? I asked several times and the only answer I got is you don't need to. HAs this changed?
what about morgia and moss of merilon when attributes are at their max?

I just responded to this exact query three posts above yours. I've responded to this query in other threads as well, as have other people. Please actually take the time to read what people reply to you. I won't be responding to your questions again, because frankly, it doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

gosos
06-21-2013, 03:16 PM
I apologize for missing your answers. I thought I read all of them.

grobblewobble
06-21-2013, 03:56 PM
You can find out your intrinsics by drinking a potion of insight.

Early on I personally never drink from pools. You have less to lose, but I don't like dying and creating a new character. Early, even snakes from a pool can kill you, as well as dooming, sickness, or uncontrolled teleportitis. And you can always come back to the pool later and still hope for a wish.

I will only drink from pools if I have:
- enough piety to remove doom
- a way to cure sickness
- a spare blink dog corpse (stored in a shop) or a ring of teleport control.

Even then, I tend not to bother unless I want an ultra and I need a wish for one of the required items. Lately I've been thinking that poolsipping for intrinsic paralyzation resistance may be worth it, because a fair share of late game deaths is caused by paralyzation (especially higher mimics).

gosos
06-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Made it to level 20 with gnome/wizard. Im pretty buff. Hit pyramid, dwarven graveyard and did all the Thrundarr quests. Made it through DH. Had to teleport away from about 10 greater daemons since my spells (even acid ball) didn't do much to them and they drain stats.

1. Darkforge run. Was able to waste all the steel golems with acid ball (lucky to have this. have the book in my stash at barb clearing). Acid bolt seemed to get resisted. That seems odd. I figure acid is acid?
I noticed in the guide that Steel Golems are vulnerable to Lightning. About 1 in 10 did damage. When they did damage they knocked off 3/4 of the HP. Is this new to pre-release 14 or do they always resist at that rate?

I looted darkforge and got everything. Went to play Pool roulette. I picked up teleportitis. Teleport Control is disabled here. I submitted this as a bug. If teleport control is disabled, then teleport control should be also. If you play well enough to get teleport control first, then teleportitis is a bonus. It made darkforge unplayable. I couldn't get out. So I save scummed. My only one this game. (I take save copies periodically out of fear of a crash). I don't think its that bad in this case...

2. I find I am having find trying out new classes instead of just doing one guy I get far. Anyone have an race suggestions for merchants or farmers? I tried Healers and Barbarians and did not like them. I have a duelist who is cruising, but straight melee is boring.

3. How do you guys play a gardener or healer? I find when I try out different race/class combos I learn stuff. So messing with things.

4. also how many game days is typical to win? I saw one guy one in 91 days. I am on 92 now and at level 20. I did do some grinding and walking on the map. A lot of time is taken up reading spell books.

5. found a ring of karmic absorption. so it goes from bless, to uncursed, to cursed when I hit a karmic being in melee. if I have remove curse, does this mean I have unlimited uses of this ring?

timeywimey
06-23-2013, 04:21 PM
teleport without control certainly is tedious, but that's the risk you have to take when pool sipping. It's not a bug to have teleport without control.. save scumming there isn't ok in my eyes :p

gosos
06-25-2013, 02:12 PM
no what i said is that teleport control is disabled in some areas. if teleport control is disabled for the area, you should not be penalized for having teleportitis. You should only be penalized if you lose your teleport control intrinsic or ring and get teleportitis. not because its disabeled in the area by rule.

Stingray1
06-25-2013, 02:23 PM
It's not disabled, it has a chance of failing. You should not visit this place if you have teleportitis and don't want to be randomly teleported on occasion.

gosos
06-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Status update:
1. level 22. About to hit Tower of Eternal Flames for first time. with levelling EQ, I get 9 trains per level now which is sweat.
2. PV is 34 and attributes are pretty buff (20s to 30s). 37 will power. 25 str, 30 Dex (-2 from a corruption). 200+ hp. unlimited casts on many spells. Acid Ball with 100 casts left. Spellbook is in my stash.
3. probably willy hit puppy cave first to see if i can generate another shop.
4. unlimites Strength of Atlas (really spoiled by this) means I pick up all loot to sell and load down with RNG fodder for traps and such (my detect traps is at 100).
5. already cleared darkforge, dwarf graveyard, and got ring of high kings. I cruised through CoC to tower.
6. dont have the dig spell or cure serious wounds. However, I have 100+ herb seeds and 100 gardening. going to make a big herb farm in Dwarf Town before I hit ToeFF. I have 2 rings of ice and several fireproof/waterproof blankets. Plenty of fire resistance stuff and teleport spell/teleport control. so I think I am ok for ToEFF. I hope. Never been here before. Ill make sure to get my Piety high so i can pray a few times if i get in trouble.

Pretty happy about this. Worried because I am already at 100+ days and no Seven League Boots. However, I did get corruption scrolls from the mystic. Ironically I got an amulet of life saving on the level past khelevaster. Atleast I have 1 get out of jail free if I remember to put it on when needed.

This is by far the farthest I ever got in the game. I have a Dwarf/Paladin standing next to khelevaster in another game I have not played in a while too.

GordonOverkill
06-25-2013, 03:18 PM
What about healing? Have you already done the water temple for the orb? Or have you got a good supply of spenseweed/pepper petals? At least in my eyes one reliable source of healing is quite important for the tower. If that's the case, you should definitely be strong enough for the tower.

Drifted
06-25-2013, 03:23 PM
6. dont have the dig spell or cure serious wounds. However, I have 100+ herb seeds and 100 gardening. going to make a big herb farm in Dwarf Town before I hit ToeFF. I have 2 rings of ice and several fireproof/waterproof blankets. Plenty of fire resistance stuff and teleport spell/teleport control. so I think I am ok for ToEFF. I hope. Never been here before. Ill make sure to get my Piety high so i can pray a few times if i get in trouble.
You need some method of digging to be able to complete ToEF. Be it spell, wand or manual labor. Also I don't suggest you make herb farm to DT especially when you are already past 90 days (if it's even possible to grow herbs there even with gardening). Depending how much you want to do collecting you should aim some place without background corruption (CoC lvls 1-9).

gosos
06-25-2013, 04:28 PM
dwarftown is on level 9 in my game. do i get background corruption? I could go up to level 8 and make a farm there. However, occassionally i get stuff that spawns (like vortexes) that destroy herbs so I can avoid this. Didn't want to waste the time in game to put one in dwarf town then have to keep walking back to it.
I have cure light wounds for healing. I also have about 35 spenseweeds and I want to make a big spenseweed farm before I go. I have about 10 potions of healing and a few that are better. I have a bunch of holy waters so i can bless most of this stuff.
I have found 3-4 pickaxes, but mining is about 28. I also have some wands of digging. I probably have 5-10 charges sitting around. Ill check the guide/wiki on how much I need.

so i cant bring scrolls/spellbooks to ToeFF? What else is off the table. I have 4 levels of fire resistance (including intrinsic) and 2 rings of ice and several fireproof blankets.

I got unlucky with alchemy. i have 100, but my Potion of Gain Attribute formula requires potions of cure corruption. I do have a potion of longevity formula. it looks like my only good one. Ill have to check. If I get the corruptions to let me do a quickling tree raid, having some of these could be useful so I can eat quickling royalty. I may want to give this a try.

Laukku
06-25-2013, 07:25 PM
dwarftown is on level 9 in my game. do i get background corruption?

Corruption starts on D:10 and below. As the earliest possible level for Dwarftown is D:9, all levels beneath it in all games are corrupting. AFAIK reading scrolls of peace removes the corruption if the danger level is reduced below 10.

gosos
06-26-2013, 02:16 PM
so with dwarf town on D:9, its a good place to make a big herb farm right? strikes me as a good place due to location and convenience. can drop herbs on altar to BUC. I really just need spenseweed at this stage right? My dex is at 30 so moss is useless and my tough and willpower are above their potentials (I have a couple of + willpower items so with bonuses I get to 37). I have the cure disease and slow poison spells plus poison resistance. Stomafilia is nice, but with 22k total load I can carry whatever food ?I find and I have alot of bat and lizard. I am guessing some stomafilia is nice to keep my piety high so I can get my get out of jail free card.

I probably wont play this guy again untl the weekend. I only want to mess with Adom for about an hour or so after work and I dont want o screw up and die. I made a thread about some other classes which I will experiment with.

thank you for your help. This game is tricky to figure stuff out. and it literally (and not exaggerating) 50+ tries with a gnome/wizard to get through UD. I have never made it this far so the odds of me screwing up are pretty high.

gosos
06-28-2013, 02:00 PM
so about the water cave with the water dungeon. already spoke to her and the baby dragon. i have the corruption that lets me breath under water, teleport control, and teleport spells. i picked something up and she teleported to me (it was outside her main cave). i then teleported to the entrance and left.

if i go back and teleport to her main cave and start to loot. will she teleport back to me or can i freely loot? i have over 200 hp and a 34 PV. I also have strength of the atlas so ic an mass loot in 1 run. i doubt i can beat her, plus i dont want to use spells in the main cave with all the items since they will get destroyed. just wondering if i can get a free run at her items now that she teleported to me one time and is not close to the main central cave with all the items.

JellySlayer
06-28-2013, 02:26 PM
She will teleport to you every time you pick up an item.

With 200 HP and 34 PV, she can probably kill you in 1 turn.

Stingray1
06-28-2013, 02:29 PM
If you attempt to go back there you will most likely die. She will teleport whenever you pick up something. There is a warning when you try to pick up. She cannot see in darkness she might not move in your direction, but she will breath water everytime you pick up.

Edit - oops Jellyslayer, we were typing at the same time.

gosos
06-28-2013, 05:51 PM
how do people kill her?

JellySlayer
06-28-2013, 06:10 PM
how do people kill her?

With great difficulty. Especially now that you can't use darkness on her, she's probably one of the strongest NPCs in the game. She can kill level 50 PCs if they're careless.

gosos
07-01-2013, 12:39 AM
so can you win gold in the casino in 1.2? I know about the corruptions. I put on 2 blessed rings of stunned resistance and kept ending up stunned. I also kept losing gold and never came out ahead.

JellySlayer
07-01-2013, 01:18 AM
Did you check the pile at your feet?

grobblewobble
07-01-2013, 09:00 AM
You need to use a slot machine that costs $24.

gosos
07-01-2013, 01:41 PM
oh its at my feet. im using the noteye version and i did not see any gold images on the slot screen. ill try that.
its a bit of a hassle hunting for a slot that pays out at $24.

Stingray1
07-01-2013, 02:51 PM
"Good gamblers know which coins to use." Is probably not so applicable in the graphical tile mode. :)

gosos
07-01-2013, 04:07 PM
i still got stunned with 2 blessed rings of stun resistance. is that new in 1.2? I dont havce the stun resistance intrinsic.

btw, I saw a brief note in the wiki about using ventriloquism to rob the casino, but you get doomed and cursed. I have strength of atlas, so i can grab everything and getting rid of doom/curse shouldnt be too expensive in gold for piety with all the stuff I can sell. I don't see details on how to use ventriloquism to rob the shop? do you use it to lure the shopkeeper away? I am level 26 (I think), with levelling eq, I now get 10 trains/level. virtually everything I need is already maxxed. so I can afford to get this to 100.

does this work? once I rob the shop will items regenerate? I did not find any artifacts. I bought a few spellbooks and potions, but most of the stuff wasn't anything I really wanted. however, I should be able to sell it for alot of gold. one interesting this is that potions/scrolls/rings/amulets, etc.. were not identified in the shop. In previous shops they were ID'd. so I picked up everything up and read a blessed identify scroll to ID some new stuff.

as a gnome wizard, are there any good strategies to killing the cat lord? I dont think I can teleport on that level, so no escapes. at level 26, I am thinking I should go level some more first and try to level some of my spells more.

Stingray1
07-01-2013, 04:38 PM
The PC is stunned by all the gold won. Nothing can prevent this. I don't think there is any need to rob the casino.

Very impressed by you IDing the items in that way.

Don't know about Cat Lord, cat lover here.

gosos
07-02-2013, 04:39 PM
robbing the casino sounds like fun and i can use the gold to up my attributes. does ventriloquism work? any other ways? doom/curse is not a problem. I can get up to darkforge easily and its already cleared. plus with unlimited strength of atlas its tempting. the risk is that i have teleportitis (I have teleport control, but its disabled on this level) and I can get randomly teleported back before hitting stairs.

there is not alot about good ways to rob the store. One way would be pick everything up. blast the shopkeeper, with magic missile at as much range as possible. wait for him to get to me. teleport. this puts me at entrance and try to run out. hoping I dont teleport back. I am level 26.

how does ventriloqism work? with 10 trains/level now i can easily afford to raise his. i am down to maxing my backstab (at 1d3) and its at 93 so it will max on its own, and raising mining each round to caps. everything else useful is pretty much capped. Goal is to get as much maxxed to 100 by level 40, then use scrolls/potions of education. I found to hope for good skills. I have 4 of them. tactics is only at 73, but i stay on f3 and it goes up fast. it only goes up by 1 per train. so better off letting this go up on its own for a while. plus i found 3 scrolls of training. saving these in hopes of getting some nice skills with the education stuff.

can anyone help me wiht cat lord? i killed cats. i cant teleport on this level and Im a mage. so not sure how to fight him. acid ball? I have about 140 casts left with it and i have the book stashed away. I have all ball spells I believe. my quickness is 120 with pv of 35. should i level more first to get more hp? wiki says cat lord is susceptible to paralizations rays. does this include stun ray spell? if so i can train that up a bunch before fighting him.
http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Cat_lord

Stingray1
07-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Oh, I see they haven't made tiles for the slot machines yet. I'm about to rob the casino shop. Gonna kill everything in the place, like men do it.:p

P.s. Although I'm playing a female hurtling.