PDA

View Full Version : training stats in 1.2 and turns

gosos
06-19-2013, 04:35 PM
1. you supposed train strength by kicking doors. At 20 str, you don't go up from over burdening. is it worth it to kick doors at 20 str? I am not sure how much this trains and you run the risk of door traps. Can i get it up much by doing this?
I tend to play alot of paladins and get stuck with str at 20 and above until Glod or I find some potions/corpses.
2. dex: the wiki says you train this with the hard to find boomerang. someone on the forum said all range weapons train dex. can someone clarify?
3. what non-grind stuff do you do to train as part of the game? reading the ratling pamplet 50 times doesn't take alot of effort.
4. How do turns related to time? I saw that the librarian won't tlak to you if you have chatted in the last 2000 turns. how much time in game is 2000 turns? The wiki/guide are not clear?
5. this is unrelated to topic. so fireproof/waterproof blanket protect carried items right from damagE? ring of ice protects worn items from fire damage. Does anything protect worn items from water damage or you just have to get items better than than iron? I noticed the holy symbol can rust too. So i take that off if i go to water. Is there anything else that protect items other than blessing them and resistance/immunities? don't know if anyone resistances/immunities protect from water damage. or maybe ring of fish? or that just lets you breath.

Silfir
06-19-2013, 04:59 PM
This is the first I've heard of kicking doors training strength - I thought it was stairs - though my unsolicited opinion is that 20 Strength is enough and you should really stop bothering at that point and just play the game. Not sure how bad the whole Literacy thing has gotten in 1.2.0 as I haven't played the non-public prereleases, so not sure if I would abuse the ratling pamphlet very much. It's much preferable to reading the pyramid message solely because it doesn't trigger (more).

Successful catch checks on the boomerang train Dex as far as I remember - and the same should be true for all other returning weapons.

The length of a turn depends on the energy cost of your actions, roughly. I'm assuming that each segment is a set amount of time long, but I don't know what it is. I've played ADOM for quite some time and it has never once mattered.

Fireproof and waterproof blankets do indeed protect items in your inventory, but not your equipment. A ring of ice protects all items, both equipment and inventory, with a chance of failure depending on b/u/c status, i.e. if you don't have a fireproof blanket there's a chance your inventory items might burn even though you have a ring of ice. I suppose by water damage you mean swimming in rivers - and yes, there are no items that protect your worn equipment from rusting or being drenched while swimming. Iron can be rustproofed, but other than that you pretty much have to take it all off and put it in the backpack alongside the waterproof blanket. Hooded cloaks protect from rain and water traps though.

JellySlayer
06-19-2013, 05:11 PM
I honestly believe that the training Dx with boomerangs thing is an urban legend. I've played characters who've used them somewhat regularly and have never seen unexpected increases. Maybe if your Dx is really low you'll see improvements. Other missiles almost certainly do not train Dx. Significant training of stats is generally unnecessary, TBH.

I don't know that the ratling pamphlet or the papyrus scroll train Literacy at all. The scrolls from the SMC seem to a little bit, but I'm not positive in 1.2.0... The best way to train it is with graves. Much, much faster and more effective.

"Time" is a relatively useless concept in ADOM. It is really only necessary for accessing the Stone Circle and the 90 day limit. Everything else in the game operates based on turns. You can press :T a couple times to see your current turncount (it replaces speed/gold/energy in the bottom right). A step in the wilderness takes 1 turn, but can take several hours.

Hooded cloaks, cloaks of protection, and artifact cloaks will protect worn gear against water damage, though like rings of ice, they aren't infallible. Blankets only protect your inventory.