PDA

View Full Version : Backing-Up Save in Newer Releases?

KyoShinda
07-07-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm still pretty new to the game and usually die about every 20 minutes, how do I back-up saves in the new version so I can get farther in the game and learn more about it instead of dying really often?

Also: How do I edit key bindings?

Mobius
07-07-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm still pretty new to the game and usually die about every 20 minutes, how do I back-up saves in the new version so I can get farther in the game and learn more about it instead of dying really often?

Also: How do I edit key bindings?
Save backups are disapproved of. But we have better ways to help you!
What are you dying of? HP, Hunger, etc. What classes, races do you try? Are you diving too deep, too fast?

KyoShinda
07-07-2013, 07:08 PM
--All kinds of things. It's not usually that I don't know what I'm doing(well, for basics), it's just being unlucky, but with so many things that can go wrong I never get far. At the beginning sometimes I would starve, sometimes I try to go to the high mountain village and usually die along the way or get crushed by the golem. The farthest I've ever got was the pyramid and something killed me very quick there. That was the older version of ADOM but I usually played a gray elven archer. At the beginning as that particular class I usually power through everything, not consuming much food and shooting everything long before it gets to me, collecting arrows from mobs, but then random things always kill me.

Another thing is the layer upon layer of choices when making a character, going through that every 10min gets daunting.

I don't really care too much about the save scumming but how do I change the keys? xD

Stingray1
07-07-2013, 07:41 PM
I know this might sound horrible, but believe me dying is the best way to learn. If you save-scum, you'll not really learn how to stay alive, well maybe a little as you try different things in the same situation. However really dying and your character gone forever forces you to learn much faster.

Best wishes.

I think your questions are answered here in anon123's post #7:
Beginner-information (http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php/12314-Beginner-information)

If not, let us know and we'll help.

Nilfran
07-07-2013, 07:52 PM
I, myself, am not that experienced when it comes to late game since I've never won so far, but through dying numerous times, I've learned a good deal about surviving the early game. I would suggest few things;

- First of all, I highly suggest that you start out with a tough character instead of a powerhouse. Archers are beasts that is a fact but they're not tougher than, say, a fighter or a monk or a barbarian. When you're just beginning, you're experiencing different kinds of obstacles every time so having a tough PC in your hands will immensely reduce the time it will take to learn the early-game. And the classes I've mentioned above are not bad when it comes to dealing damage as well, in fact, I like to think of barbarians like the melee versions of archers.
- It would seem that you have learned the dangers of SMC seeing that you know about the high mountain village, so don't try to dive in there every time you start a new game.
- Don't get worried about not having a certain skill at the start and don't care too much about your starsign or the number of talents you get to choose at the very start. Yes, it is better to start the game with few extras, but you can't win over the randomness of this game with those few extras. The only thing that will get you through is preparation and knowing your PC's boundaries.
- Try to get in a good relationship with your deity as soon as possible.
- Look at this game in the same way you look at chess. When in a tight spot, think of everything you can do carefully, go through your inventory a few times. Rushing is the worst course of action you can take in adom, I learned about this the hard way, as rushing in killed me more times than the RNG.

Starting over is really normal in this game. Every PC you create will teach you something different, that is of course if you try different things. And every once in a while you will end up with a PC that is extremely promising compared to the others you have played so far.

I don't know of any way to change the keybindings, but I won't say there is none, a more experienced player can help here.

I don't think save-scumming is all that bad when learning the game, I've tried it once, but believe me it gets boring playing the same character continously. You will gain more knowledge if you are approaching situations with a different set of options every time.

Al-Khwarizmi
07-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Another thing is the layer upon layer of choices when making a character, going through that every 10min gets daunting.
Daunting? 's' for specific, 'm' for male, 'j' for drakeling, 'f' for wizard, 'r' for randomly, and then choose Alert and, if possible, Miser and Treasure Hunter. That's all you need at your level! And I think you can ever hardwire most of it in a configuration file if you want.

And yes... the best way to learn is by dying, not by savescumming.

KyoShinda
07-07-2013, 08:10 PM
I, myself, am not that experienced when it comes to late game since I've never won so far, but through dying numerous times, I've learned
- Don't get worried about not having a certain skill at the start and don't care too much about your starsign or the number of talents you get to choose at the very start. Yes, it is better to start the game with few extras, but you can't win over the randomness of this game with those few extras. The only thing that will get you through is preparation and knowing your PC's boundaries.
- Try to get in a good relationship with your deity as soon as possible.
Yes, I guess I take the beginning choices way too seriously, I kept trying to start out with as high of dex as possible etc. I think I'll switch to a melee character for now because being inexperienced with a squishy character wasn't a good idea. lol

Grond
07-07-2013, 08:11 PM
In Windows 7 you can find the configuration files in AppData/Local/ADOM. Edit the "adom.kbd" file to change keybindings. There are some options you can add to the "adom.cfg" file to lessen the amount of work you need to do when creating new characters. Adding
Questioned_Attributes = false will remove the prompt to answer questions. You can also set a default class, race, and gender:

Race = drakeling
Class = monk
Sex = female

Starting in the month of the Candle will likely make life easier.