PDA

View Full Version : Statues and a missing artifact (pre14)

mikemayday
07-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Hey there!
I'm super busy these days so I thought I'd scum through one game to see the new stuff and the tiles in action. I know it's not the preferred way of playing the game, so I hope you can bear with me and still help me out.
So simply put- somewhere between entering the SMC and exiting the HMV a valuable artifact was created. But despite thoroughly searching all the levels (SMC and UD) I cannot seem to find it. There are some statues though (the ones of historical significance) and they seem to be buggy (praying at a statue asks me if I want to kick it, then nothing happens). Could this be related?
If not, do you have any tips on searching for the artifact? It is, after all, the Protector...

Stingray1
07-08-2013, 06:46 PM
I think there are scrolls and wands that detect stuff.

anon123
07-08-2013, 06:50 PM
If not, do you have any tips on searching for the artifact? It is, after all, the Protector...

Be on the lookout for a 46s medium shield that's black on the ground, and kill any monster that might have picked it up ...although from personal experience, Protector's DL is a too high to have been generated in the UD (did you get a message about feeling pulsing power by any chance?).

mikemayday
07-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Hmmm, I do recall SOME strange message, but I don't remember what it was. All that I know that just before entering the SMC- no artifacts were generated, and AFTER leaving the HMV through the shortcut- it was there.
If it is, as you say, in a secluded room, I'm in trouble (no magic mapping, no item detection, no pickaxe) because I'm just sooooo antsy to get it... sigh, shouldn't have scummed in the first place.
Thanks for the tips though!

Stingray1
07-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Perhaps in future you should make back-up saves on every level.

BenMathiesen
07-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Did you notice a "pulsing power" type of message on entering a level? That's an artifact, but better guarded and better hidden than usual...

mikemayday
07-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Stingray, I appreciate the bitterness of your post :D
I'll look around, the pulsing power is most likely the case.

JellySlayer
07-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Statues aren't fully implemented, FYI. Don't expect anything from them at this point. They're just kind of... around. Many of the boss monsters are also still a bit buggy.

Pulsing power rooms are sort of like a royal treasury + surge of power + massively out-of-depth mixed tension room combination. They're rare, but they're pretty sweet.

mikemayday
07-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Mystery solved, Protector Get :p Thanks, guys!

Stingray1
07-08-2013, 10:23 PM
It doesn't count. I had to wait to D:45 to get it and I didn't save-scum. :confused:
@anon123, it wasn't executor, was scorched spear. Still very happy though, is much better than my regular spear.

mikemayday
07-08-2013, 11:25 PM
I agree it doesn't count, but like I said- I currently lack the concetration to play in a way that counts. And then I'd be super pissed if I got killed after getting Protector in UD while ironmanning.

anon123
07-09-2013, 03:40 AM
Pulsing power rooms are sort of like a royal treasury + surge of power + massively out-of-depth mixed tension room combination. They're rare

That they are. I've yet to find one, but highly look forward to it.

Mystery solved, Protector Get :p

So it was an artifact room?

@anon123, it wasn't executor, was scorched spear. Still very happy though, is much better than my regular spear.

The scorched spear is a decent weapon (indestructible spear of mayhem), and it gives polearm DV, which you should enjoy before it gets balanced. :p

mikemayday
07-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Yeah, it was an artifact room, with a doppelganger king.
Better yet, I then proceeded to TotHK and got a surge of power on the first level- Branalbin's cloak :)
I am now carrying 5 artifacts and consuming a stomafillia every minute just to power them :p

anon123
07-09-2013, 05:31 PM
The cloak is good but makes the food problem doubly worse, by granting invisibility. One of the new artifacts in 1.2.0 should be a cloak that you can wear all the time!

Protector is among the very best artifacts in the game, so congratulations are due.

JellySlayer
07-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Cloak of Oman is fine to wear as long as you have teleport control.

anon123
07-09-2013, 05:57 PM
...and are okay with the constant prompts to teleport stopping movement. Great item otherwise.

SirTheta
07-09-2013, 11:04 PM
I think you mean greatly aiding movement :P