PDA

View Full Version : Is the community dieing?

Northdakota2170
06-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Just a question. Maybe you should do a recruitment drive

Epythic
06-17-2009, 10:10 PM
O_O Second waaaaay too short post of you. And taking a peek at the next tab, I see that there are more to come.

I don't think the community is dying - just look up the player count for this years weakest link challenge (we are doing the finals right now, we had to do three rounds, the first one with 6 (?) leagues a ~ 8 players - means ~48 players participating. Talk about dying community?! Maybe not exactly growing, but...

Then, who is this "you" that should do a "recruitment drive" and how should it look?

Feel free to do one - you might want to check back with us here first.

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
06-18-2009, 07:11 AM
So we all deserve to die
Even you herr Epythic, even I

vogonpoet
06-18-2009, 07:14 AM
I suppose the traditional concepts of community, in a geographical sense, could be said to be dying. I wouldn't rely on the help of my immediate neighbours in order to help feed my children if I die in an unexpected hunting accident or such like. However, I prefer to view it as the evolution of community, rather than death, blah blah blah.

Clearly the ADOM community is not dying - as Epythic rightly points out, the most recent weakest link challenge was pretty immense really. I think people just have to accept that the number of english speaking roguelike players in the world who want to dedicate time and energy into participating in an online fora dedicated to the genre is not only finite, but actually quite small, has always been quite small, and is likely to remain so. Meanwhile, these fora seem to have new peeps sighing up everynow and then, and old peeps checking in and out periodically, etc etc.

Feel free to drive though. The more the merrier.

/one does not need to 'deserve' to die, one will most assuredly die regardless.

Epythic
06-18-2009, 12:27 PM
So we all deserve to die
Even you herr Epythic, even I
Giving "dying community" a whole new meaning, eh?

Anyway I think the real point is not the if but the when. TTL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_live): the higher, the better.
(At least for living beings, and in general.)

For example, if lots of people die quickly (ie, natural desaster -- when god goes 'whoops'), thats obviously a bad thing. But does it matter? Those people would have died anyway. Yes it does matter, because they could have lived longer, hadnt that thing been.

On an unrelated note, is "Herr" an international word now? Or did you just know that I'm german? (I've never before seen it used in such a way...)

On a more related note, I think, dear boris, that the OP meant that the ADOM Community as a community is going away, as less and less people belong to it. Of course old members... eh... leave, but in a healthy community new members join, and the numbers even themselves out. If growth-per-time < 0 one speaks of a dying community :) [explaining just for fun, i bet you already know that ;)]

boris_pankov@inbox.ru
06-18-2009, 03:19 PM
about "Herr"
no I know nothing about internationality of this word (heard couple of times and it was used in a way like "herr doctor") :rolleyes:

I just needed rhyme )

Northdakota2170
06-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Well.........lol. That was quite........er......philiosophical (probably not spelled right.) Well ill recommend this to a bunch of my friends and start advertising it. Maybe somebody could port it to a console homebrew community. Console homebrew is often scarce of deep games like this and im sure we would have alot of new members flowing in if we ported it over. As how to do that.......(scratches head).......but it can be done. I just dont want to see this community fade away.

Epythic
06-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Well.........lol. That was quite........er......philiosophical (probably not spelled right.) Well ill recommend this to a bunch of my friends and start advertising it. Maybe somebody could port it to a console homebrew community. Console homebrew is often scarce of deep games like this and im sure we would have alot of new members flowing in if we ported it over. As how to do that.......(scratches head).......but it can be done. I just dont want to see this community fade away.

We? No way without the source code. Only person who can do it right now is TB himself. And you know how much time he has nowadays ;) And consoles *are* really different and I bet the ADOM source code - written in C - would be one hell to port. And there would be a couple more issues (input devices...?)

Unless you run a full-blown emulator -- IIRC someone got it running in JPC, meaning that you can play ADOM on any (?) device that supports Java (the real Java, not the Java ME crap). Or dosbox. Or something.

And all that for little benefit.

Sian
06-21-2009, 09:49 AM
futhermore ... the way adom is built doesn't really 'talk' to console users (you know ... with the turnbased, below-low graphical view, NintendoHard etc.)

The Community aren't close to dying ... it just never been highly active as opposed to other game forums, since its a niche game.

Covenant
06-21-2009, 09:58 PM
... one does not need to 'deserve' to die, one will most assuredly die regardless.

Remember you must die.

/Obscure?

Sradac
06-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Im just fine with a small community. I could really care less. Sure im not around as much with my new job as a network admin keeps me busy 24/7 especially when a server goes down at 2 AM on a tuesday ngiht and I gotta wake up and fix it...heh...

I still lurk!

I've been registered on these forums longer than most people and im still around, I dont participate in leagues but at least I can still piss people off with my posts every now and then!

Epythic
06-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Im just fine with a small community. I could really care less. Sure im not around as much with my new job as a network admin keeps me busy 24/7 especially when a server goes down at 2 AM on a tuesday ngiht and I gotta wake up and fix it...heh...

I still lurk!

I've been registered on these forums longer than most people and im still around, I dont participate in leagues but at least I can still piss people off with my posts every now and then!

O_O yeah user id 20 is quite low. I only got 96 :/

But still, reg date on the forums says nothing, forums barely two years old.

ADOM community dates back to '92 right?

Also, are we talking about the ADOM community or the rogue(like) community? Latter one is even older. Of course former one is a subset of latter one.

And there are still r.g.r.*...

Sradac
06-26-2009, 04:14 PM
yeah the roguelike community is no wheres near dying, especially with these new roguelike ports to iPhones, iPod, and nintendo DS. Plus more and more are roguelikes getting press. In fact, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup was featured in an issue of Game Informer a couple months back. Now get some JADE coverage in that mag and i'll be happy!