PDA

View Full Version : Question

KyoShinda
07-28-2013, 08:34 PM
I haven't been this deep in CoC before but, you can only go below floor 28 if you go to ToEF and bring back the thing right? The other stairways lead me to dead ends and I want to know if I'm missing another stairwell or if I have to go to the tower instead.

Alucard
07-28-2013, 08:35 PM
You can't descend farther than the staircase blocked by the wall of flames unless you retrieve the chaos orb of elemental fire.

KyoShinda
07-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Another question: do the tactic settings effect spells at all or can I just run around in 'coward' blasting everything?

Silfir
07-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Yes, you can just run around and blast everything on Coward. One of the facts contributing to how great spellcasting is in battle.

KyoShinda
07-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Ok, another one, if I have 2 fireproof blankets will that protect my items from fire more than 1 would or does it not stack?

Phoobnahr
07-30-2013, 12:55 AM
2 fireproof blankets provides the same protection as 1 fireproof blanket, but there is a possibility that fireproof blankets can burn up (especially in the tower of eternal flames), and they only burn 1 at a time, so if you're carrying a second blanket you'll stay protected

anon123
07-30-2013, 12:56 AM
The effect itself is absolute, so technically it doesn't stack. But having more than one blanket is of course better - the game would need to destroy them all to do fire damage to your items.

Bless them and have positive Luck, and they should be enough for the ToEF.

Silfir
07-30-2013, 02:36 AM
For the sake of clarification:

Fireproof blankets protect everything in your inventory, but none of your worn equipment. That protection is 100% for as long as you have at least one fireproof blanket left.

Rings of ice protect both inventory and worn equipment and will never be destroyed by fire, but their protection is not absolute. Rings of ice should be blessed if used at all, and they do stack; two blessed rings of ice protect roughly twice as well as one. Blessed rings of ice in allow players to rely much more on fire-prone equipment, such as bows and arrows, in the Tower of Eternal Flames.

KyoShinda
07-30-2013, 05:10 AM
What's a good level to go to the tower? Like 20, 25ish?

JellySlayer
07-30-2013, 05:37 AM
For non-trolls, non-mist elves, I'd say 18-20 is typical. 22 if you're very cautious. Levels don't make that much of a difference in ADOM, to be honest, except for adding to your HP total. Having at least 200 HP is pretty desirable since the ACW can bolt for ~120 damage. Getting above level 22 pre-ToEF requires an awful lot of grinding, actually, since there aren't very many xp dense areas around in areas you can access.

For trolls, level 14-16 is fine. For mist elves, you really would love to be 20+, but you'll struggle to find the XP to get much passed 18.

KyoShinda
07-30-2013, 01:46 PM
I know blessed ammo is effective against the undead but is there a difference between uncursed and cursed? Like missing more often?

anon123
07-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Cursed ammunition does half of its usual damage against undead and demons, while blessed ammo does 150%. Blessed arrows/quarrels of undead or demon slaying are thus extremely powerful.

JellySlayer
07-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Cursed ammo is also lost more commonly after shooting, I believe.

KyoShinda
08-01-2013, 04:25 AM
What do these mean in the config file?
metric measuring
nice stuff
quitters allowed
random pc(does that randomize everything at once?)
walk carefully

persistence
recovery
check item in hand(check it for what?)

Edit: nvm, found info about it, but another question, they say overburdened abuses dex, but you can't move, so does that mean if you wait in place with overburden that would abuse dex?

Stingray1
08-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Try not to be overburdened for even one turn, unless you want to lose some Dx.

Harwin
08-01-2013, 06:13 PM
Try not to be overburdened for even one turn, unless you want to lose some Dx.

I've never had Overburdened cost me Dx(when I'm overburdened for only 1 or 2 turns at a time, rarely), but I only ever hit it on characters that also have Athletics - perhaps that is offsetting it?

Stingray1
08-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Yeah, early morning exaggerations. I think I said it to discourage overburnedness, sorry. The fact remains if you are overburdened for even one turn it will negatively train Dx, I think. I've certainly experienced actual 'You are getting shaky' messages from being overburdened for very short periods.

JellySlayer
08-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Overburdened definitely abuses Dx pretty badly. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe 1 cursed moss worth for every 5 turns overburdened? So after 20 or so turns, there's a very good chance that you'll lose a point of Dx.

KyoShinda
08-01-2013, 09:19 PM
I was holding down the wait button and occasionally eating to see how long it would take to go down and it took about 4 or 5 hours, probably because I trained it pretty well with a boomerang beforehand, but otherwise it might have went down a lot quicker idk.

KyoShinda
08-02-2013, 04:43 AM
Next to bridge building there's a (mr) and (ma) next to cooking and fletchery, what do those mean?

Stingray1
08-02-2013, 06:24 AM
mr means you need an item(s) to train the skill and ma means you have the item(s) to train the skill.

It is explained in the manual under skills, the third paragraph.

JellySlayer
08-02-2013, 01:17 PM
(mr) means that you need a manual in order to train the skill. (ma) means you require a manual and have it, IIRC.

KyoShinda
08-02-2013, 02:12 PM
You can have fate smiles and doom at the same time? Would that mean they kind of cancel out or what? lol

anon123
08-02-2013, 02:19 PM
No, the negative luck intrinsics are stronger than the positive ones... unsurprisingly ;)

JellySlayer
08-02-2013, 02:34 PM
You can have fate smiles and doom at the same time? Would that mean they kind of cancel out or what? lol

Emphasis on "kind of". I guess you could say there is partial but incomplete cancellation. Being +Fate and +Doom is certainly better than being just +Doom, but worse than being neither. Even if you have a large number of stacked positive luck bonuses on, you can never completely account for all of the effects of dooming, because some of them aren't strictly luck-related (eg. dooming doubles background corruption rate, or getting eaten by grues in darkness).

+Curse can more or less be entirely cancelled out by +Fate.

KyoShinda
08-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Does anyone know base stats for Mist elves and Ratlings (doesn't matter what class, I just want to compare to other races)? From what I can see ratlings have pretty good dex and mist elves have crazy good mana, but I'm trying to figure out how all their stats rank.

Edit: they mention some of it in the wiki, I should look their first before I ask stuff lol

KyoShinda
08-23-2013, 11:20 PM
It says that item destruction is inevitable in ToEF unless you're wearing 'higher metals' or artifacts. What is the list of higher metals exactly, or more specifically, is mithril included? Would it be any metal but iron, or would it just be adamantium and eternium?

Silfir
08-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Mithril, adamantium and eternium are safe. As are artifacts, and I think crystal.

Stingray1
08-23-2013, 11:25 PM
mithril, adamantium and eternium are the higher metals.

Oops. Silfir beat me. Stone is fine too.

KyoShinda
08-23-2013, 11:37 PM
I assume it destroys your food too(in portions)? I also assume that it wouldn't destroy gold but that would be funny since gold melts easily in rl right?

Greyling
08-23-2013, 11:51 PM
I assume it destroys your food too(in portions)? I also assume that it wouldn't destroy gold but that would be funny since gold melts easily in rl right?

I know gold dropped on the floor in the TOEF can be melted, but I don't think it can melt in the inventory? If not, a good question would be whether it melts in the TOEF when wielded or put in the missile slot.

Silfir
08-24-2013, 12:10 AM
I seem to remember rocks eventually explode from the heat. Not sure about stone weapons.

Gold can melt anywhere where it isn't protected, be it inventory or missile slot or hands. A fireproof blanket will protect it inside the inventory, but not in the missile slot.

anon123
08-24-2013, 03:08 AM
I also assume that it wouldn't destroy gold but that would be funny since gold melts easily in rl right?

To my knowledge, gold is slightly tougher than iron and doesn't rust, but otherwise shares the same elemental vulnerabilities. It is noteworthy that real-life gold is highly resistant to acids, while in ADOM it's easily dissolved by acid breath attacks :p

Greyling
08-24-2013, 03:21 AM
To my knowledge, gold is slightly tougher than iron and doesn't rust, but otherwise shares the same elemental vulnerabilities. It is noteworthy that real-life gold is highly resistant to acids, while in ADOM it's easily dissolved by acid breath attacks :p

The acid breath in ADOM is made of Aqua Regia.

KyoShinda
08-25-2013, 04:45 PM
I found gloves of smiting that say '+2 damage'. Does that mean it adds 2 damage to melee and ranged attacks or just melee?