PDA

View Full Version : what is adom deluxe?

gosos
07-29-2013, 01:08 PM
I bought into the pre-release. is adom deluxe some other purchase?

JellySlayer
07-29-2013, 01:46 PM
ADOM deluxe has not been released yet. It will include a number of features (eg. connection to a global highscore list, cheat modes) that will be unavailable in the standard version. My understanding is that ADeluxe will be released on Steam or some other distribution system for a nominal fee. I believe that people with pre-release access will get ADeluxe for free if they're above a certain funding level, but I'm not sure what level, exactly, is required.

gosos
07-29-2013, 02:05 PM
he mentioned many people 'bought' into adom deluxe with kickstarter. When I payed my $40, I thought I was getting everything.

Is there a list of what will be in Adom Deluxe and not in what I paid for with the pre-release? I would think... that on steam he wouldn't be able to charge more than $40(probably $20 due to lack of graphics) I would hope I would not have to pay twice.

It sounds like most of the pre-release 15 stuff will be for adom deluxe purchasers only and not for everyone who bought into the pre-release. I am somewhat confused on this.

Al-Khwarizmi
07-29-2013, 02:20 PM
I do know that anyone who donated at least $40 in the crowdfunding campaign is automatically entitled to an ADOM Deluxe license.

However, I don't know if people buying prerelease access after the crowdfunding campaign get Deluxe access. It doesn't seem to be advertised that you do, so I suppose we have to assume you don't unless TB says the opposite :/

It's worth pointing out that Deluxe will all nothing to the gameplay itself, all the classes, corruptions, quests, new content, etc. will be available without it. What Deluxe will do is add stuff like the highscore server, cheat mode, etc.

Stingray1
07-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Officially nobody would be able to call you a save-scummer, but technically you will be one. :p

P.S. I hope the final score gets divided by the number of restores times 2 or something.

KyoShinda
07-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Officially nobody would be able to call you a save-scummer, but technically you will be one. :p

P.S. I hope the final score gets divided by the number of restores times 2 or something.Yeah, it's a huge disadvantage to not be able to save because then you can't filter preferable outcomes from pools or happily hand over an amulet of life saving to khel(or get a reasonably common monster quest from thundarr).

Harwin
07-29-2013, 10:16 PM

P.S. I hope the final score gets divided by the number of restores times 2 or something.

I assume you mean only in cheat mode. I don't save scum but I often only play for a little bit at a time, I'd hate to have my score tanked because I couldn't play a marathon session (or got worried about a power outage so saved and quit during a storm)

Stingray1
07-30-2013, 06:42 AM
Yes, I meant restoring to an earlier point in the game. Nor for power failures, etc.

Scummy restores.

P.S. Unless of course if the score is negative it will have to be multiplied not divided. Maybe, it's better if scores for scum restored games simply don't happen.

Al-Khwarizmi
07-30-2013, 09:54 AM
In my book, savescumming will always be savescumming even if the program gives you an explicit option to do it.

And savescummed results shouldn't appear in highscores at all, or at least not mixed with legitimate ones. There could be a separate highscore list for the cheat mode.

IIRC, in the case of Nethack for example, the cheat mode (called explore mode) just doesn't save the highscore to the file.

jt
07-30-2013, 10:53 AM
ADOM has an exploration mode ("cheat mode") but it's only available if you compile ADOM with a specific compiler flag. If this mode is active, your highscore is not saved. I'm not quite sure if Thomas planned to include this in ADOM deluxe, in my opinion it's way to powerful. We only use it internally to test/debug certain features.

Regarding the original question, this is what Thomas posted in the adom.de blog:

Q: "I paid $40 to get into the pre-release. Does tihs mean I have to pay more to get all of the features?"
A: "Can't say for sure right now. Fact is that prerelease access is just prerelease access. I guess the name's clear enough ;-)"

anon123
07-30-2013, 01:32 PM
I agree on not storing highscores for cheat games at all. If you have cheat mode (and I'd call it that way so its function is clear) enabled, you're playing for relaxation or testing stuff anyway, not to compete, which is the idea of keeping a score in the first place.

If the player chooses to create an FLG, it should be mentioned there too:

He scored 0 points and advanced to level 1.
[OK, to be honest: he had cheat mode enabled.]

ADOM has an exploration mode ("cheat mode") but it's only available if you compile ADOM with a specific compiler flag. If this mode is active, your highscore is not saved. I'm not quite sure if Thomas planned to include this in ADOM deluxe, in my opinion it's way to powerful.

I have made extensive use of this in 1.1.1 (the joys of Adombot) and I wouldn't agree it's overpowered for what it's meant to be. There's even a few deaths it doesn't protect you against :) If it was added as an official feature on its current status, it would make a good "cheat mode" in my opinion. Many of the people who would find ADOM through Steam won't have the patience required for a roguelike and will say "to hell with this" once their first characters are slaughtered repeatedly. I'm a strong believer on that it's difficult and unfair and should remain so, but you need to make some compromises to reach a wider audience.

A wizard mode like in NetHack where you have unlimited wishes and omnipotence over the game world I'd be opposed to. People would wish for 100 PV and top-notch items, then breeze through the game and never face any difficulty whatsoever, giving the wrong impression of what a real ADOM game is like. With just explore mode, at least they'd get the hint after trying to take on Darkforge or the ToEF at level 1 and dying dozens of times!

jt
07-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Well, the "exploration mode" for example gives you unlimited wishes (for items, monster, features, etc.) and prevents you from dying (if you don't want to). That's why I think it's too powerful. It's more like a "god mode" than a "cheat mode". ;)

A real "cheat mode" should be restricted to some of the more basic functions the "exploration mode" has.

anon123
07-30-2013, 03:17 PM
Well, the "exploration mode" for example gives you unlimited wishes (for items, monster, features, etc.) and prevents you from dying (if you don't want to).

Oh, that is OP, yes. I thought you were referring to the one that only allows you to refuse death :o

Stingray1
07-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Does in Congratulate you when you make a level. :p