PDA

View Full Version : Bug Temple madness

lefti
08-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Okay, having lost two very promising chars to Bug Temple, I think I need some help.

Is it possible to clear the temple, or at least dig to prevent most of the bugs with a lower lvl melee char?

Both times I died when entering the temple. Surface is easy, but when I enter the temple, the greater claw bugs swarm me in 1 turn and it's bye bye.

Got lvl 26 monk, 76/34 DV/PV on Very Agressive, 390hp, 140spd. I've been goin melee most of game, and don't have spells. Should I get more powerful before tackling bugwil?

What about reading a scroll of familiar summoning when entering the temple?
I haven't done maze yet, was thinking is it possible to do bug temple before maze, for the scrolls of magic mapping?

anon123
08-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Someone here once suggested zapping a wand of monster creation when you stand in the upper level's staircase, then descend - that way those (hopefully less lethal) monsters follow you downstairs and act as meat shields, allowing you to take on one GCB at a time.

The bugs themselves do shrug bolts like crazy, but are vulnerable to ball spells and death rays. So getting a ton of charges on your wand of death or fireballs would be another idea.

Note all that is pure theory from my side. I've only cleared the 1.2.0 bug temple once so far, and it was with a Wizard spamming 32+ Wi ice balls :)

lefti
08-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Well, I found a greater vault of red dragons. I got to lvl 29 and found bugbiter so things got 10x easier. I tried the familiar summoning thing, but it didn't actually help. I just headed north and got to the doorway, have such a speedy char.

I'm already at the big hall of bug temple.

BUT I didn't check my exp! I can't complete the bug temple before maze, because I will be lvl 30 then. Crap.

JellySlayer
08-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Wand of death with 30+ charges should do the trick. Never, ever, try to fight the bugs in melee.

grobblewobble
08-10-2013, 05:28 AM
Wand of fireballs! That's what you need to use when you descend the stairs.

- Change your equipment to maximize speed and DV (since PV is useless);
- Set your tactics to coward;
- Try to boost your willpower to 32 (equipping the water orb is usually enough)
- Charge up your blessed wand of fireballs if you don't have enough charges yet.

Now descend and zap zap zap. This way a level 26 monk will survive that part easily.

Once you descended and killed off the greater claw bugs, use a wand of door creation to block the side rooms with killer bugs so you don't have to fight them. The most difficult part is then the final room. It is here that wands of death are quite effective, but melee will do the job too (if you have a good weapon). Try a somewhat defensive tactics setting (F4 or F5 maybe) and be prepared to heal up a lot.

lefti
08-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Wand of fireballs! That's what you need to use when you descend the stairs.

- Change your equipment to maximize speed and DV (since PV is useless);
- Set your tactics to coward;
- Try to boost your willpower to 32 (equipping the water orb is usually enough)
- Charge up your blessed wand of fireballs if you don't have enough charges yet.

Now descend and zap zap zap. This way a level 26 monk will survive that part easily.

Once you descended and killed off the greater claw bugs, use a wand of door creation to block the side rooms with killer bugs so you don't have to fight them. The most difficult part is then the final room. It is here that wands of death are quite effective, but melee will do the job too (if you have a good weapon). Try a somewhat defensive tactics setting (F4 or F5 maybe) and be prepared to heal up a lot.

Oh my god.. wand of fireballs. How I couldn't think of that? Haha!