PDA

View Full Version : Rincewind challenge

Spellweaver
08-15-2013, 08:27 PM
I've recently got an idea for this challenge game.
Rincewind the Wizzard is Terry Pratchett's character, a wizard unable to cast spells due to a very powerful semi-intelligent spell that entered his memory and stopped other spells from entering. His duty, though, was to keep this spell until the time comes and then cast it.
So, the rules of the game are.
- You must start as a wizard.
- You are not allowed to use any spells (banning reading spellbooks is pointless).
- Your goal is to successfully cast wish and survive, at least once.

Any opinions?

JellySlayer
08-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Should be doable. Wizards without spells are pretty mediocre, but they probably wouldn't play that much differently from, say, a thief. Probably best bet is just to close the gate as usual, then pick up the wish book from the library (or do you get wish at level 50? I don't remember). I don't know how much scumming is required to cast 1500 PPs... at level 50 you're probably pretty close. Otherwise, scum the BDC for wands to mana battery, I guess.

Spellweaver
08-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Some time limit can be added, like, spell should be used on day 150 from start.

Stingray1
08-15-2013, 09:13 PM
That's a very cool challenge. I'll give it a shot this week-end.

P.S. May I zap a wand of wonder and what happens with the babbling mouth corruption? Both these casts spells.

Spellweaver
08-15-2013, 09:36 PM
P.S. May I zap a wand of wonder and what happens with the babbling mouth corruption? Both these casts spells.

I don't think it should count as a win. Otherwise challenge turns into "find a wand of wonder and some booze" challenge which is kind of pointless.
I am also unsure if there should be a racial restriction as Rincewind, himself, was human. Well, it doesn't matter much, I think.

Stingray1
08-16-2013, 06:10 AM
Yeah, my thoughts too. I was however meaning whether it may be zapped for mana training.

I was wondering what Rincewind means. Now I remember those books.

Grey
08-16-2013, 11:11 AM

I think they're fine as they're uncontrolled, so you can't make much tactical use of them. Also at one point in the books Rincewind did get to use magic, though not entirely under his control.

BenMathiesen
08-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Cool idea.

Stingray1
08-17-2013, 07:26 AM
Thieves are very strong compared to spellless human wizzards. Mediocre? Pretty awful feels more appropriate. :(

Learning Lassie
08-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Thieves are very strong compared to spellless human wizzards. Mediocre? Pretty awful feels more appropriate. :(

*cackles* I'd love to be a fly on the wall while you are trying this challenge out. ;)

mimhoff
08-17-2013, 10:51 AM
When I think of Rincewind, I don't think of hitting things in melee either though! I think of his extreme cowardice. ;)

Stingray1
08-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Believe you me my Rincewinds are running away often and using cowardice tactics like Didudu, wands, throwing rocks from afar.

Spellweaver
08-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Believe you me my Rincewinds are running away often and using cowardice tactics like Didudu, wands, throwing rocks from afar.

Doesn't every character in ADOM do things like this?

Stingray1
08-17-2013, 01:53 PM
I suppose they do, I've gotten past the early game. Wasn't easy. Hope I don't do something really stupid.

BenMathiesen
08-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Extra role-play challenge:
You're not allowed to learn Courage from the old barbarian, but you can marry a female barbarian if you want to.
:-)

Stingray1
08-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Apparently Rincewind sucks at Alchemy too:

Hey, those frost giants aren't immune to fire. :confused: