PDA

View Full Version : Playing in Full Screen

Sines
03-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Unhappy with games that seem to not be out to kill me, I've decided to give ADOM a try. I'm having about as much success as I imagined, having trouble getting the commands down.

Me: Okay I'll want some food *pick up 2 heavy rations*

Storekeeper: You owe me 47 gold.

Me: Hmm... how do I do that... AH I see... 'g'ive. Here you go my good man

Storekeeper: *Takes gold* You owe me 47 gold.

Me: Crap... I only have 43 gold left after that... guess I'm going to have to deal with this the hard way *Fires an arrow at the shopkeep* HOLY CRAP WHERE DID THOSE GAURDS COME FROM?!

He was doing pretty well too... ANYWAY. The question I wanted to ask was how to get the game running in fullscreen on Windows Vista. I get a tiny little window and I'd like to increase it so I can either see more or just get bigger letters so I squint less. I tried selecting the program and asking it to run in fullscreen mode, but to no avail, the game just says it can't do that and I still get a tiny window.

Scienceman123
03-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Unhappy with games that seem to not be out to kill me, I've decided to give ADOM a try. I'm having about as much success as I imagined, having trouble getting the commands down.

Me: Crap... I only have 43 gold left after that... guess I'm going to have to deal with this the hard way *Fires an arrow at the shopkeep* HOLY CRAP WHERE DID THOSE GAURDS COME FROM?!

He was doing pretty well too... ANYWAY. The question I wanted to ask was how to get the game running in fullscreen on Windows Vista. I get a tiny little window and I'd like to increase it so I can either see more or just get bigger letters so I squint less. I tried selecting the program and asking it to run in fullscreen mode, but to no avail, the game just says it can't do that and I still get a tiny window.

Not fullscreen, but can you set it to run at a lower resolution in the compatibility settings? Like "Run in 640x480 screen resolution"?

theotherhiveking
03-25-2008, 07:00 PM

Open the shell, config it to run fullscreen and the run adom from there.

Dunno if you can do that with vista.

Epythic
03-25-2008, 07:23 PM
All ways to do that that I know involve installing Linux.

theotherhiveking
03-25-2008, 07:41 PM
All ways to do that that I know involve installing Linux.

Imho vista has a shell.

Sines
03-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Tried some of those, one of which was suggested by my roomate, but none worked. Ah well, I'll survive. Or get Diablo II. Depends on my wallet ^_^

lochok
03-26-2008, 12:32 AM
You can always use the tweakfont program - http://www.geocities.com/adombot/tweakfont.zip

At the very least you can get a bigger font, and you should be able to get fairly close to full size...

rmcin329
03-26-2008, 04:01 AM
Tried some of those, one of which was suggested by my roomate, but none worked. Ah well, I'll survive. Or get Diablo II. Depends on my wallet ^_^

If you do get Diablo II get the expansion for it too, its lots more fun with the expansion.

Nezur
03-26-2008, 06:47 AM
-- The question I wanted to ask was how to get the game running in fullscreen on Windows Vista. --

Well, you could try to run it using this frontend (http://www.jbc.edu/~josh/adom-sage/) with this colour correcting shortcut (http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.games.roguelike.adom/2006-06/msg00125.html) should you see wrong colours.

Grey
03-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Does Sage work in Vista, Nezur? It does allow both font resizing in the console and fullscreen mode through Alt+Enter (amongst a huge number of interface improvements), but I hadn't heard of anyone successfully getting it running in Vista.

Epythic
03-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Imho vista has a shell.

You can't tell bash from cmd.exe, right?

DOS 1 had a shell too (but it was missing other basic things... like... directories)

Nezur
03-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Does Sage work in Vista, Nezur? It does allow both font resizing in the console and fullscreen mode through Alt+Enter (amongst a huge number of interface improvements), but I hadn't heard of anyone successfully getting it running in Vista.

No idea to be honest. I haven't tried. I think it works better than the winbeta version of ADoM at least under XP. I just provided a link in case he didn't know about it. Now he can give it a try. ;)

Travis Prue
03-28-2008, 08:32 PM
vista doesnt like fullscreen command prompts for some odd reason. however, if you can find a windows xp driver for your video card, it'll work fullscreen... i hate vista so much...

kapsi
06-04-2008, 02:35 PM
I use dosbox (http://www.dosbox.com/) in Vista (with DOS versionof ADOM). It's slower than the regular game but at least it's in fullscreen.

FantomFang
06-04-2008, 08:52 PM
ADOM Sage DOES work in Windows Vista. Its what I'm running currently, Windows Vista Home Premium (with as much background crap shut down as physically possible, heh). It works perfectly fine too, except for one thing. It is physically IMPOSSIBLE to run ADOM as full screen. It just won't work. Otherwise, the command to make the application run fullscreen is Alt+Enter, as far as i know, with MS-DOS based applications.