PDA

View Full Version : What's new on ADOM?

Munxip
09-04-2013, 11:11 AM
First of all, I'm sorry to be making a request on my first topic.
Second, I'm currently learning programming on college and we were told to pick some game that innovated on it's time and present it to the rest of the class.
I decided to choose ADOM, because it's one of my favorite games and I'm sure almost no one knows about it in my class.
Now, the thing is, while I'm pretty sure ADOM came up with things that weren't in any roguelikes at the time, I'm not sure what (I believe it has a deeper storyline than others, and I think the cities with shops and exploration were new too, for roguelikes)
Could you guys lend me a hand, please? :)

Stingray1
09-04-2013, 12:30 PM
I think all the roguelikes of the time had one dungeon. ADOM had a larger world and multiple dungeons.

anon123
09-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Corruptions, unnatural aging (or character aging at all), multiple endings. I wasn't around during ADOM's development in the 90s, but based on what I know, those were innovative concepts at the time.

Grey
09-04-2013, 10:01 PM
To be honest it's not that great for innovation, as almost everything it does other RPGs had done before. They may have been new features to roguelikes, but they weren't that novel. Maybe you should talk about the original Rogue instead?

Munxip
09-06-2013, 08:20 PM
I want to thank you all for the info :)
I did a good presentation of the game I guess... I was aware that it didn't have a LOT of new things but I wanted people to know the game haha
Thanks again!