PDA

View Full Version : Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead

gosos
09-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Jellyslayer posted a cataclysm link, however, that is old. The original developer retired and development has continued on a new site. The game is open source and 100% free. So far 100+ people have added content.
The latest release added tiles. ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME! Anyone Who wants to help code is encouraged.

http://en.cataclysmdda.com/

They had a successful kickstarter and hired a full time dev (he is working for chump change). He is basically reworking the code so its easier to add features. Its the kind of grunt work you need someone fulltime on. They have releases regularly and post 'experimental builds' on the main page several times a week. These can be a bit buggy, but you can test out the newer features and post bugs.

Anyone who wants to add content is welcome. All suggestions are encouraged. lots of my ideas have been added (I post as youtoo on that forum).

Latest Features
-- tiles
-- mod manager being developer. will be able to change tiles. Plus people can pick and choose how they want there game created
-- option to increase spawn rate by up to 50x (this is insanely hard) and larger towns.
-- constantly adding new craftable. virtually every item in the game is craftable and can be taken apart
-- ability to build shelters (this needs work)
-- many types of buildings
-- many sci-fi elements beyond just zombies
-- location based damage and encumbrance. you want a backpack to carry more stuff? your not going to dodge too well.
-- skill based system. no levels
-- unique way to gain exp based on your 'mood'.
-- survival game. need food, warmth, shelter, can get sick. I died of a heart attack cause I used too many drugs ones..

Missing Features
-- NPCs have been disabled for a while because they are buggy. working on them...
-- no z-levels yet. so 1 level and then 1 below ground level (that is not that good). its part of the kickstarter to have multiple levels above and below ground