PDA

View Full Version : [IDEA ]A new class.

Blasphemous
10-01-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure if we really need another class since there's plenty to choose from as it is, but I had an idea while clearing (or attempting to clear) a GUV on D:45 with a mindcrafter.
Seeing as the yellow Ls suck out the little digits at the bottom of the screen with startling efficiency, I thought about the class name: Drainer. Or Leecher.

Suggested abilities: At level 6 a drainer becomes highly resistant to draining attacks by other beings, due to becoming more proficient and knowledgeable in the art of stat draining. (This also halves stat drains from consuming certain corpses, or not if it sounds too OP)
At level 12 you are able to drain resistances from element-related monsters as an addition to draining their stats.
At level 18 you are able to drain power points from all monsters for twice the normal amount (before, you could only drain from casters).
At level 25 you drain three times as much health as you normally would from all monsters (save undead).
At level 32 you are able to drain speed from monsters that are faster than you. The bonus is equal to monster speed divided by 10.
That value is added to your speed score for a temporary boost (much like relevant potion of boost speed). On a side note, this could make it interesting with quicklings.
At level 40, drainer can leech stats/health/pp/speed from a distance (as long as the target is within LoS).
Finally at level 50, drainer has a small chance to instantly drain entire HP from a target, killing it on the spot, regenerating their entire HP pool and gaining permanent increase of HP points by 1d(Wi+Ma)/10.

Of course this could all be subject to change/balancing. The class would be able to read books after a fashion, depending on literacy/concentration/Le stat.
A drainer could also learn to use weapons much in the same way as mindcrafter does - no special bonuses.

General assumptions:

You start off with a very basic skillset (dependent on race only), neither particularly skilled in magic nor in melee/ranged combat.
However you start off with some class powers - drain attributes. Draining consumes power points.
For example a strength drain for a temporary boost to strength and of course negative effects for the enemy.
Toughness drain for similar effect on To stat - health and PV increased.
The more powerful monster you drain, the greater and longer the benefits.
Draining certain stats from monsters that naturally have them at a very low level would give no results (i.e. draining Le from trolls, To from elves, St from rats and so on)
With a vault full of giants you could temporarily reach St:99 for a very short duration.
Draining red dragons would give temporary fire resistance or even immunity, so you could enter ToEF and keep draining things to remain untouched by the heat.
Basic stats such as St, Le, Wi, Dx, To, Ch, Ma, Pe would be drainable for significant temporary bonus.
You would have to continually drain monsters to maintain power as the char would find it next to impossible to increase stats by training, only potions and corpses would apply. (And wishes of course)
Draining casters would have the additional benefit of giving extra PP, possibly with small permanent increases.
Similarly to certain disadvantages of mindcrafters, draining undead would cause a significant loss of HP (life essence that doesn't exist in undead and thus they drain you off of it instead using the link that a drainer has to form to his/her target). With liches this could be lethal if drainer's HP is low.
Draining corrupting beings would cause some corruption, depending on monster type. A chaos rat would corrupt very little (although why would anybody drain it is another thing, there's only HP to be gained there) while WMoPC, Corruptors, etc. would cause massive corruption, enough to grant a single corruption effect or largely contribute to it. Conversely, draining a (Greater) White Unicorn would take corruption away from you.
Draining a master swordsman or ratling fencer would provide temporary increase of weapon proficiency by 4-5 levels.
Draining monsters that stand on the opposite spectrum of alignment would move your alignment toward theirs - but only if you are C and they are L (or the other way around). Neutrals would not be affected by this.
You get the idea of consequences for various actions.

Character could be informed as to what bonuses are currently active by pool-like messages:
- You drain the red dragon. You suddenly feel like facing burning heat! (temp fire res), you no longer crave for fire (fire res worn out)
- You suddenly feel like breathing arctic air! (temp cold res), you no longer cherish the thought of snow (cold res worn out)
- etc.
Effects would be cumulative depending on monsters:
You drain the greater blue wyrm. Suddenly you feel more power coursing through your veins! (Power drain) Your life essence swells! (HP drain) You feel like flying though a storm! (=Ele) Your muscles grow to enormous proportions! (temp +St), you feel more connected to the flow of energy! (temp +Ma).
In this case of a powerful monster, drained effects stack. In most cases, only the highest attribute is drained, plus the resistance if present.
Draining a black dragon would provide temp acid res and either HP or St or Ma (whichever is higher).

Continuous draining of a single monster will eventually kill it, either by HP loss or stat loss, unless of course it gets to you first and kills you.
Drainers are fragile beings, they get penalties to draining ability as more monsters surround them.
Two hostile monsters next to a drainer are enough to halve all draining bonuses.
Three monsters are enough to reduce drainer's abilities to 25 percent of their normal effectivity.
More than three monsters cause a drop to only 10 percent.

I realize this would require a huge amount of extra coding hence it's only an idea.
However, since we got two additional races and two classes during the pre-release period already, perhaps it's possible to get another one?
What do you think about that?

_Ln_
10-01-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm almost sure that TB will not add other classes to ADOM, but the idea is pretty good. It will require extensive balancing, I guess.

Do you propose different drain commands for each stat? I feel like it will be enough to add 1 generic drain ability that will always get you HP (unless undead) and PP if monster is a spellcaster and work strictly according to corpse effects - you drain St from giants, drain Dx (and temporary lose To) from dark elves.

Alignment drain is kinda rough - much more difficult to maintain than Necromancy, but may make a good challenge/unique play style.

The general feel is like necromancer-mindcrafter - intrinsically chaotic kind of guy with unique powers. I'd certainly play that.

Blasphemous
10-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Most of the specifics I gave are a result of a brain storm, I had a few spare minutes while at work so I thought why not give it a try.
Everything is of course subject to change, balancing etc. Perhaps one generic drain ability would be a better solution.

JellySlayer
10-01-2013, 06:04 PM
I'd suggest submitting an RFE for ADOM II. Monsters don't have stats (St, To, etc.) in ADOM I, so I don't know how stat draining would play out here.

One way to help balance might be: Stat drain attacks require physical touch. You have to fight unarmed (but get no special unarmed bonuses--think Shadow Touch for necros).

I think this would be a lot of coding work since TB would need to decide on the drain effect for every monster in the game.