PDA

View Full Version : Beastfighter question

snakesoul
11-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Hi,

I'm starting playing ADOM and I'm following this guide:
http://adomguides.blogspot.com.es/2009/03/guide-to-being-beastfighter-by-molach.html

When speaking about talents it says:
Protective talents (hardy, tough skin, iron skin, steel skin) - I personally almost always get these. But they have no special relevance to beastfighters

My question is, why not? Is it because beastfighters have higher DV than PV?

It also says:
Brawler - +2 to hit when using unarmed combat. This talent is very good in the early game, and something to consider for weaker races and players who want to get in danger early (Puppy cave or UD dive). It becomes less useful later on, but is never made useless.

Why less useful? A Beastfighter attacks using his own hands, so brawler is the perfect talent!

Thank you!

Stingray1
11-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Go with your gut it seems you are intelligent enough. On beastfighters I always take brawler first, because it does make a difference in the early game when your character is still at low skill in unarmed. In the late game +2 is mostly irrelevant as you to hit will be somewhere more than +100.

I prefer DV and missile talent on beastfighters. Well, I prefer missile talents on everything. :)

grobblewobble
11-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Protective talents (hardy, tough skin, iron skin, steel skin) - I personally almost always get these. But they have no special relevance to beastfighters
What I think he means is that those are good, but they're just as good for every other class.

Personally I do not think so. Beastfighters can't use a shield, so protective talents like these might even be a little bit better for beastfighters than for other classes.

Brawler - +2 to hit when using unarmed combat. [ snip ] It becomes less useful later on[/B], but is never made useless.
It is a bonus to to-hit only. That is not super great in the endgame, when your to-hit is already really high. If it would have added damage, it would really have been perfect for beastfighters. But alas.

snakesoul
11-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Thank you!

When we speak about missile talents on a beastfighter, we mean throwing things (arrows, rocks...) or using a bow or other weapon to throw something? Which are these talents? Good shot and strong thrower?

Stingray1
11-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Yes, good shot, keen shot, quick shot. Strong thrower might help a bit in the very early game when you haven't found a missile weapon yet. I do sometimes take it on weaker races at level 3.

snakesoul
11-10-2013, 10:04 PM
So I can't use melee weapons but I can use bows and crossbows right?

Silfir
11-10-2013, 10:13 PM
Yup, just fine. And you really should, archery is very strong and slaying ammo can add the edge that your fists might lack in a boss fight.

snakesoul
11-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Thank you all!

Just one more question: While playing the beastfighter I noticed I found more food than playing with the dwarven paladin... Is there a reason about this or just luck?

Stingray1
11-10-2013, 10:18 PM
You can use melee weapons, but that is not beastfighter's forte, they really suck with them. Don't even think about using a melee weapon.

Bows, crossbows and slings is perfect to use with most classes. You can even throw other things, rocks, spears, axes, clubs, daggers, herb seeds, bows, anything really. If you press Ctrl+w you will get a listing of all your combat skills. You'll not that you can train in thrown spears, but not in thrown bows. So, you won't get more skilled when throwing bows, but will do when throwing spears or shooting arrows with a bow.

The 'strong thrower' talent also only apply to missiles in that list under Ctrl+w.

snakesoul
11-10-2013, 10:20 PM
nice explanation, thank you

Stingray1
11-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Thank you all!

Just one more question: While playing the beastfighter I noticed I found more food than playing with the dwarven paladin... Is there a reason about this or just luck?

It might have been luck or you could have chosen a race that has the food preservation skill. One thing you should note that walking around on the overland map makes you hungrier faster than inside a dungeon for example, because you are traversing a larger distance with each move and thus more time passes on the overland map with each action there.