PDA

View Full Version : ToEF Item Destruction

Heclapar
11-14-2013, 08:42 PM
So i have a very promising dwarven beastfigher going, progressing beyond any other character i ever played. For the first time i managed to get to the Tower of Eternal Flames, and my items keep melting and getting destroyed for no apparent reason.I have 2 blessed fireproof blankets, and i am wearing 2 rings of fire resistance.What am i doing wrong here?

Deathwind
11-14-2013, 08:49 PM
the rings help protect your HP, the blankets save your pack, equipped items are still at risk. Rings of ice would protect worn equipment.

GordonOverkill
11-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Rings of fire resistance do not protect your equipment, they just prevent you from getting hurt by the fire. Fireproof blankets protect your stuff, but only within your backpack. I guess you are losing the stuff you are wearing on your body, right? That can only be protected by wearing a ring of ice. You also could change your equipment to fireproof stuff (higher metal, artifacts).

Heclapar
11-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Ah, thanks guys, you are right. All the stuff that melted was on me and not in my backpack.

Deathwind
11-14-2013, 09:13 PM
some tips:
Any rings will be safe under the elemental gauntlets
Beastfighters are lucky as they don't have a melee weapon to worry about
Mithril or better armor should be fine
The mummy wrapping isn't the best armor but it is guaranteed
To stop the HP damage you need 4 sources of resistance (intrinsic counts as 2) or one of immunity
Items that give fire resistance are immune to the heat

Blasphemous
11-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Make sure also that you're not intrinsically cursed/doomed. With that, even with 2 rings of ice and 10 blessed blankets, you're bound to get plenty of items burned.

magpie
11-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Make sure also that you're not intrinsically cursed/doomed. With that, even with 2 rings of ice and 10 blessed blankets, you're bound to get plenty of items burned.

I was amazed in my most recent visit there - even without a ring of ice, not much of my stuff was melted/burned. To the extent that I think that item destruction in the Tower has been toned down in recent versions!

I'm not the best player here, but the Tower has never really been a huge problem for me. And there's a number of strategies to deal with item destruction in the Tower:

1: Keep a stash somewhere, and put all your really valuable stuff in it. Only take what you need into the Tower.
2: Only wear artifacts/items of higher metals.
3: Take a whole bunch of stuff you don't mind being melted/burned with you. That way, when stuff does get ruined, it has a good chance to be stuff you don't mind being melted. You know, potions of carrot juice, undesirable scrolls/potions, crap like that.
4: If you have scrolls of magic mapping, bless them. Use one on each level, and then teleport directly to the stairs. That way, you will drastically minimise the amount of time you spend in the Tower.

Moeba
11-16-2013, 02:03 PM
I value potions of carrot juice a lot; more than potions of potential charisma/appearance. Even if you don't encounter the right kind of rooms, you can still acquire the swimming skill with them if you don't have it.

magpie
11-16-2013, 02:13 PM
I value potions of carrot juice a lot; more than potions of potential charisma/appearance. Even if you don't encounter the right kind of rooms, you can still acquire the swimming skill with them if you don't have it.

Well, whatever you don't care about being destroyed ... scrolls of ill fate, potions of (potential) crap stat - whatever you don't want for the post-ToEF game.

SirTheta
11-16-2013, 07:38 PM
3: Take a whole bunch of stuff you don't mind being melted/burned with you. That way, when stuff does get ruined, it has a good chance to be stuff you don't mind being melted. You know, potions of carrot juice, undesirable scrolls/potions, crap like that.This has been proven not to work for a really long time. All that happens is more stuff gets melted. Just go in there bloated, with a few cooked lizards, and a small stack of gold (with the various other precautions about artifacts/higher metal items, etc) for an initial mapping run, then come back with means of digging (blessed, multiple).

magpie
11-18-2013, 03:42 AM
This has been proven not to work for a really long time.

How so?

In my most recent visit there, all that was ruined was a few scrolls of light and some cursed normal ammunition. But maybe the sample size provided by one game isn't big enough to say this works for sure.