PDA

View Full Version : YASD: Frugal Wizard

JellySlayer
06-21-2009, 06:05 PM
The challenge was to try to complete the entire game while only using my starting gear, guaranteed items, and a few other things (eg. herbs), starting as a dwarf wizard. I've discussed some of the early game elsewhere, so I won't really go into many details:

Started off killing claw bugs in the bugcave until level 9ish. Ventured into the CoC, did the druid quest for black torc and frost bolt at level 12ish. Ran through UD, found some herbs. Did pyramid at level 13, did griffyard, got the teleport wand. Finished dwarf quests, got Rolf's set as my main gear for the rest of the game. Got crowned lawful with lightning immunity (also got ring of immunity, but never used it). Cleared Darkforge, High Kings. Killed Khelly, got water orb without too much difficulty. ToEF was fairly easy, I had good fire resistance, and despite not having a blanket, managed to get my wand of digging up to the top level and dug my way to the ACW. Killed him in melee only needing a couple water orbs to keep myself alive. Corruption was starting to become a problem: already passed day 90.

Descended through CoC, got RotMC (later destroyed due to extreme stupidity...), cleared air temple without any trouble. Earth temple was a real pain, because my DV/PV wasn't really high enough to avoid taking a lot of damage from the elementals. Picked up stiff muscles there. Ouch. Ascended back up, cleared bug cave for the SoCR, and did the rift for more SoCR. Unfortunately, at some point my holy water apparently was destroyed (no idea how...), so the best I could do is pray to get the scrolls uncursed. Managed to clear a few corruptions (notably poison hands and mana battery that had been added by this point), but was still stuck with stiff muscles (and unholy aura). I was level 27, so I figured I'd clear the Mana Temple, and by the time I got back out, I'd be 30, could clear corruption with the unicorn quest, then descend for the time. On UD3, ran into a mixed tension room that featured a Great Karmic Wyrm and an emperor lich, which was blocking the stairs down. I had willpower 42 with the water orb, but no confusion resistance. So I was pretty much constantly confused. Emperor lich summoned a bunch of molochs, who were almost as fast as me with stiff muscles. Eventually succumbed to bombardment by death rays from the lich.

I think this challenge is definitely winnable. I made a few mistakes, in particular losing the holy water and the RotMC, as well as spending way too much time in the wilderness and ending up past day 90 far too early. I will probably need to carry Big Punch around on a more permanent basis for confusion resistance. I think my next attempt will probably be on a different race--I'm thinking dark elf at the moment.

mike
06-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Big Punch is only -stun. But you might be lucky enough to start with a ring of mental stability. Otherwise, the only guaranteed item I can think of that gives -confusion would be... dun dun dun... Axe of the Minotaur Emperor. :)

JellySlayer
06-21-2009, 07:58 PM
That would make things a lot more exciting... especially with minotaur mages who confuse, and the epic stat drains I'd likely have to deal with. At least I can get some uncursed SoMM before I would attempt such a thing.