PDA

View Full Version : Is there a restriction on how many herbs can grow on a given level?

Blasphemous
12-03-2013, 11:45 AM
I had this situation: I demolished walls in UD:8 and basically made a new big room out of it. It was convenient in terms of access, plenty of already existing stable herb patches and an altar.

I made around 10 square patches via the cross pattern, but the last one remained at the square-without-one-corner stage and did not grow.

When I collected one corner of a different square, that square did not grow but the previous one did, as if there was a limit of how many squares could sustain herb reproduction on a given level.
Has anybody encountered that problem? I realize having 10 different patches was a bit of an overkill as I got all the useful herbs covered, but still, I wanted to turn this level into a lush garden, maybe wish for some animated trees and giant boars roaming the new forest in the future, bring in some logs and huge rocks, stuff like that.

JellySlayer
12-03-2013, 12:51 PM
I've never heard of this before. I've seen some people build very large farms in the Big Room before...

Blasphemous
12-03-2013, 12:54 PM
I will try to replicate this in similar conditions that I had back then and see if can get the same results.

anon123
12-03-2013, 01:06 PM
If there is a cap on how many herb bushes can reside on a level (did you try pouring holy water or planting a seed to check what happens?), then that's news to me. It does make sense considering the capabilities of computer hardware at the time herbs were added to the game.

Blasphemous
12-03-2013, 01:10 PM
No, I haven't used holy water, I will do that if I encounter this behavior again. The idea was to conserve holy water and get as many stable patches as I could, all grown from a single + pattern.

asdf
12-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Maybe there was a door on this square before you made it into the garden, and herbs wont grow because of it?

Carter
12-03-2013, 11:46 PM
there is no cap i'm aware of, i was able to have almost the entire of dwarftown covered in herbs with no problems with growth.

Blasphemous
12-04-2013, 12:48 AM
It's possible indeed there was a door there, like in many other places on the level. Yeah, that would explain it.

Blasphemous
12-09-2013, 01:12 PM
I have it confirmed - I've found a dungeon with herbs and decided to grow a 2x2 square over a single spot where door used to be.
It doesn't grow there, similarly to w command stopping when character steps over a square that used to have a door.